Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Inside and out video review of Atlas Titan Limited gun after 50K down the pipe

CHA-LEE

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, ahfox32 said:

Great video/review. I use the same lube combo as in the video. What firing pin do you use? I have an Athena 9mm on order from Adam. Mine will have the Nemesis slide cuts.

Thanks for the post.

This blaster has the Dawson Extended Firing Pin that it came with from Atlas. That is another "Consumable" part that I will likely need to replace sometime during the next 50K. The back of the firing pin slowly gets beat in from the hammer and it can cause light strikes. So far, its not been beaten in too much so I am keeping it in there.

You get what you pay for on these Atlas guns. They are built to a much higher standard than many others on the market and that is exactly why the fit and finish age so well. Through my years of competition shooting I have seen many "Custom" guns that were built in a less than optimal manner which initially ran but also resulted in a much shorter service life. The hard part is quantifying the value of this level of build quality to others. That was one of my primary goals when pulling together that video review. For me its hard to do that without making it sound like a shameless shill.

I shoot quite a bit every year. Much more than most competition shooters. I also choose to use the best "Tools" for the job that will produce long lasting exceptional performance. Atlas Gunworks products exceeds my expectations and will likely exceed your expectations as well. Buy their products with confidence knowing that you are getting the best. Also know that their customer service is just as good as their products.

Edited by CHA-LEE

The Magwell on this Limited gun is an EMG BAM 1. Its lowered flare on the sides of the magwell work great for my big hands. It doesn't have a fancy "Fix your terrible reload angles" funnel shape like the PT or Limcat magwells. But it isn't needed for me since I practice my reloads and don't have problems with doing them or having mags stick in the grip.

Good review. I've got about 30K on my Titan, also with no serious issues, and no holster wear at all. The very front of the rails are polished, but that's it. I don't have another gun in my inventory that eats the broad range of junk I feed it without complaint. Honestly, it kind of spoils you.

If you don’t see what you want on the Atlas Gunworks website pick up the phone and give them a call. Just because something isn’t currently posted on their website doesn’t mean they don’t or won’t make it any more. 

Great video.  That barrel doesn’t look a day old, incredibly precise fit for it to be spotless 50k in. 

When you talk about trigger jobs being something that needs addressing every 25k or so, what it is you look for to know when it’s time?

Great videos. I have about 6k through my Atlas and happy to see how yours held up through 50k.

What kydex holster are you using? I’m using a RHT kydex holster and am showing a lot more wear. Like you said, it’s a tool so I’m. It too worried, but I’m curious anyway.

Barrel looked excellent. Have you noticed any changes in groupings?

11 hours ago, Hawk21 said:

Great video.  That barrel doesn’t look a day old, incredibly precise fit for it to be spotless 50k in. 

When you talk about trigger jobs being something that needs addressing every 25k or so, what it is you look for to know when it’s time?

Triggers can have issues in various different ways. There could be functionality failures like hammer follow and stuff like that. Or there could be a degradation of how the trigger pull feels when it breaks. I prefer a "rolling" trigger break feel instead of a "Crisp" glass rod breaking feel. Over time the mating surfaces between the sear lip and hammer hooks gets worn and the rolling break feel gets a little inconsistent. When that happens I resurface the sear lip and hammer hooks to make the rolling break feel smooth and consistent. I haven't had any functionality failures with the trigger job on this gun. But then again I assess and test it for proper function every time I break the gun down to clean, inspect and relube.

11 hours ago, yigal said:

i saw that u run this 40 cal. gun without buffer and it looks like new.

Yep. And the thing that is going to blow the minds of shock buff fan boys mindset of "The shock buff saves the gun from getting beat up" is that I use a 9lb recoil spring in this gun and have shot 40 caliber major power factor ammo through it exclusively. A shock buff isn't needed to keep the gun from getting beat up. Having a gun that is built properly from the start saves the gun from getting beat up. 

3 hours ago, MNshooter said:

Great videos. I have about 6k through my Atlas and happy to see how yours held up through 50k.

What kydex holster are you using? I’m using a RHT kydex holster and am showing a lot more wear. Like you said, it’s a tool so I’m. It too worried, but I’m curious anyway.

Barrel looked excellent. Have you noticed any changes in groupings?

I am using Long's Shadow Holster brand kydex holsters. Their holsters use standard kydex that is formed to the gun properly. When I do a lot of dry/live fire draws there will be a little bit of kydex plastic that transfers from the holster to the slide where it rubs. The transferred kydex comes right off with a little bit of the CRC Electronics Cleaner spray and some elbow grease. I have used other coatings (Cerakote, Black Nitride, Hard Chrome, Bluing) with this exact same type of holster and they all showed holster wear after a decent amount of use. The Black DLC on this Atlas Titan has been the only coating that has resisted kydex holster wear like a boss.

From a barrel accuracy perspective it has remained good as long as the slide lock lever pin isn't worn out. When the top surface of the slide lock lever pin gets a flat worn in it, the lockup isn't as tight as it should be which leads to accuracy issues. This is why I consider the slide lock lever pins as a consumable item. When they wear out you need to replace them to maintain accuracy. With 50K in and a fresh slide lock pin I can still shoot all rounds touching groups with it. The quality and consistency of barrel lockup has much more impact to accuracy than slide to frame movement/slop. Especially on Iron sight guns where the sights are attached to the slide.

1 hour ago, CHA-LEE said:

Yep. And the thing that is going to blow the minds of shock buff fan boys mindset of "The shock buff saves the gun from getting beat up" is that I use a 9lb recoil spring in this gun and have shot 40 caliber major power factor ammo through it exclusively. A shock buff isn't needed to keep the gun from getting beat up. Having a gun that is built properly from the start saves the gun from getting beat up. 

9# recoil spring?? 

5 minutes ago, cheby said:

9# recoil spring?? 

Yep. That is the proper weight recoil spring I need to balance the slide snapping back forward force to match my level of grip pressure. I grip the gun much harder than most people so I need a lighter recoil spring to keep the muzzle from dipping when the slide snaps back forward. 

13 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

Yep. That is the proper weight recoil spring I need to balance the slide snapping back forward force to match my level of grip pressure. I grip the gun much harder than most people so I need a lighter recoil spring to keep the muzzle from dipping when the slide snaps back forward. 

what mag release button is that, have you had any issues inadvertently hitting the mag button while shooting a stage with that set up. I also have a Titan and I run the Dawson Lo Pro Mag button with there  extended mag release due to my short stubby hands and fingers, I've recently been experancing mag drops by hitting the mag button. I have a tendency to grip high with my weak hand. 

23 minutes ago, Furrly said:

what mag release button is that, have you had any issues inadvertently hitting the mag button while shooting a stage with that set up. I also have a Titan and I run the Dawson Lo Pro Mag button with there  extended mag release due to my short stubby hands and fingers, I've recently been experancing mag drops by hitting the mag button. I have a tendency to grip high with my weak hand. 

That is a Rescomp Snake Skin Mag Release button that I trimmed down and smoothed out to make it smaller. The mag release is a Dawson standard length button. I listed a link to the mag button below. Pointing the paddle upwards towards the grip screw helps get it out of the way of my support hand. I also use a Wolff Extra Power mag release spring to help prevent the accidental push of the mag release while shooting. If I miss the position of my support hand grip the heel of my hand can rest on the mag release and cause an accidental button push during recoil. But that is a risk I am willing to take in order to be able to reach the mag release with my strong hand thumb without needing to shift my grip. It also gives me the appropriate punishment for not building my support hand grip properly. If I grip the gun properly, then I can't accidentally push the mag release with my support hand. Grip the gun correctly or pay the price. Its a good motivator for me to grip the gun properly every time.

https://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?id=RHTSNAKEBUT&n=Rescomp-Snake-Skin-Mag-Release-Button

Edited by CHA-LEE

Appreciate the video! Though they’re out of the reach price-wise for me for now, I’m quite impressed with the DLC; and the deposition temperatures are quite low for that, I may try that with my future build. I had issues with CrN PVD processing distorting the 2011 I built that I had to re-fit the slide/frame. Trying to determine the proper RS weight, as mine seems a bit snappy forward.