Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Have Seen The Future

cep

I believe I have seen the future of handguns. It is the FNH pistol called the "five seven USG". It holds a 20 round magazine firing 5.7 by 28mm ammo travelling in excess of 2100fps with little recoil. I contacted the company and if the ammo becomes available as advertised in October, I will be buying one. I have the same feeling about this pistol as I felt when I saw my first Glock so many years ago.

What do you guys think? BTW, one of the bullet types will be restricted to LE and Military as that bullet can pass completely thru bullet resistant vests. There will be a soft bullet for sportiing use.

It appears this pistol is single action and polymer to boot.

The FN 5.7 has been around for awhile now, I'm not sure there is a lot setting it apart from other guns.

I doubt many if any USPSA or IDPA clubs would allow it to be shot on their steel targets.

Fired one about 5 months ago. It was interesting but it is basically a 22 mag or hornet auto. The velocity sounds impressive but a 40 grain .22 cal bullet at 2,100 fps is what 84 power factor?

Neal in AZ

I believe I have seen the future of handguns.  It is the FNH  pistol called the "five seven USG".  It holds a 20 round magazine firing 5.7 by 28mm ammo travelling in excess of 2100fps with little recoil.  I contacted the company and if the ammo becomes available as advertised in October, I will be buying one.  I have the same feeling about this pistol as I felt when I saw my first Glock so many years ago.

What do you guys think?  BTW, one of the bullet types will be restricted to LE and Military as that bullet can pass completely thru bullet resistant vests.  There will be a soft bullet for sportiing use.

It appears this pistol is single action and polymer to boot.

Fired one about 5 months ago.  It was interesting but it is basically a 22 mag or hornet auto.  The velocity sounds impressive but a 40 grain .22 cal bullet at 2,100 fps  is what 84 power factor?

Neal in AZ

That's right only 84 pf but the velocity would burn right through most steel used on most ranges.

FWIW

dj

a buddy of mine is on SWAT and he carries a P90 in that caliber. the rifle is very short so it can be held on the chest when entering a house. but he said their rounds are for an urban setting. they wont pass thru the walls in a house. at least that's what he said. i guess they would use the soft point stuff. i got to shoot the gun on full auto and it will unload the 50 round mag in 3 seconds with very little muzzle rise. :ph34r:

For real world use, the round is worse in the preformance department than a .223 the FN's only advange is sheer volume. The FN57 follows on the theory of high velocity, high round capacity, high volume of fire, and low recoil that began with flechette round and the development of the Stoner AR rifle system.

Check out the developmental history of the "mousegun" .223 AR system at The Gun Zone. Now it would appear that the whole idea is down to handgun size. As a notable gentleman once said, "an answer in search of a question".

Tightloop is on to something, about all it appears to be good for is marauding prairie dogs...

Edited by Middle Man

The 40gr SS196 or 195( leadfree) stuff for civilian use is not even close to 2000FPS out of a pistol.Thats the 28gr for the military or law use only.That stuff is only available on the black market as it were for so much, why buy it i say, cause you wont want to shoot it.In my neck of the woods the 40gr sells for $25.00 for box of 50.To put in in perspective,its close to what BLACK HILLS 223 sells for.

Now it would appear that the whole idea is down to handgun size. As a notable gentleman once said, "an answer in search of a question".

Very well put..... :D

Lorcin makes a .32, if that's what you're into :P

Edited by Unleashed

Now it would appear that the whole idea is down to handgun size. As a notable gentleman once said, "an answer in search of a question".

The original concept was to provide a small personal defense weapon for pilots, air-crew, mechanics, cooks, etc.. that was more effective than a pistol (Very similar to the M1 Carbine of WWII.) With the proliferation of personal body armor, FN pushed the concept of a pistol that could defeat body armor, and it will. It is not the be all/end all of firearms design, but it effectively accomplished what it was designed for.

I've shot both the pistol and the sub-gun. There's something very comforting about dumping a 50 round magazine into the "A" zone of a target at 15 yards with no "points down."

Erik

There's something very comforting about dumping a 50 round magazine into the "A" zone of a target at 15 yards with no "points down."

Erik

Is it the fact that it took at least 10 of those rounds to drop a hostile, or the fact that you can drop 4 more before changing a mag?

:P

There's something very comforting about dumping a 50 round magazine into the "A" zone of a target at 15 yards with no "points down."

Erik

Is it the fact that it took at least 10 of those rounds to drop a hostile, or the fact that you can drop 4 more before changing a mag?

:P

I kinda like the fact that if the first 10 don't work, I've got another 40 for ya!

:lol:

Erik