Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Losing The "want To".

Guys, I have recently lost my interest in shooting competitively. What is wrong with me. I live for this sh!t! I don't know why, or how this came about but it did. Maybe I just got burned out. I am not that good of a shooter, I just enjoyed shooting. I have been an RO, club officer and helped with other club matches and loved doing it. Now, I don't even get the itch to shoot. Hunting season is here and I live for that. Maybe that has something to do with it. All I know is the guns are going up for now. When will I get the urge to shoot again. I don't know. Maybe I just need a break. For now...keep the matches going and enjoy what you love. I am going hunting. Maybe next year. TXAG

Guys, I have recently lost my interest in shooting competitively.  What is wrong with me.  I live for this sh!t!  I don't know why, or how this came about but it did.  Maybe I just got burned out.  I am not that good of a shooter, I just enjoyed shooting.    I have been an RO, club officer and helped with other club matches and loved doing it.  Now, I don't even get the itch to shoot.  Hunting season is here and I live for that.  Maybe that has something to do with it.  All I know is the guns are going up for now.  When will I get the urge to shoot again.  I don't know.  Maybe I just need a break.  For now...keep the matches going and enjoy what you love.  I am going hunting.  Maybe next year.  TXAG

:(

texasag

Don't worry, I get this every year. As soon as it gets cooler, I could care less about the blaster. I decide to "punish" myself and get out the big guns (.44, .480 and .454) and have some peace and quiet. Watch the season change and just relax. It won't be anytime at all and the itch will return. Sometimes it's a month, sometimes 4. If you try to force it, you will just be miserable. For me it will be around Christmas. Relax and enjoy hunting. And if your like me, you might be surprised how fast it will come back. When you do come back, practice slowly with good form. Then you will be able to get rid of some of your unwanted habits. Good luck hunting.

Guys, I have recently lost my interest in shooting competitively.  What is wrong with me.  I live for this sh!t!  I don't know why, or how this came about but it did.  Maybe I just got burned out.  I am not that good of a shooter, I just enjoyed shooting.    I have been an RO, club officer and helped with other club matches and loved doing it.  Now, I don't even get the itch to shoot.  Hunting season is here and I live for that.  Maybe that has something to do with it.  All I know is the guns are going up for now.  When will I get the urge to shoot again.  I don't know.  Maybe I just need a break.  For now...keep the matches going and enjoy what you love.  I am going hunting.  Maybe next year.  TXAG

Might have. Rika went through it recently, too, so you're not alone. Try something different, take a vacation, sometimes you just need to take a break fromn what you're doing and try again later. Have fun hunting, enjoy some fresh meat, and hopefully things will turn around when you're comfortable. Good luck!

After Nationals this year I really lost interest in shooting as well. I still shot a match here or there, but there was no desire to shoot. I shot last night, and it is starting to come back. I'm still not to the point I was right before I moved up to Master, but it is getting better. I think we all get burned out, disgusted, or whatever. Give it time. If it comes back, great. If not, well, there are other hobbies out there. I just haven't found any other one that is as much fun as IPSC.

I had the same feeling last year.

Won the state L-10 title at the sectional and thought I was on top of the world.

The next month I had all I could take with setting up the club's monthly match alone and USPSA died at our club at that moment. Was so pissed at shooters (who don't help out) in general for the rest of the year that I only shot a couple of matches for the remaining 6 months of 2004.

Started out like crap this year, but was having fun again.

Since then I've gotten a wicked Limited gun and my wife has taken over my L-10 Kimber and has already shot 3 matches.

I guess we all have ups and downs, but the downs seem to be a temporary (and likely necessary) situation.

It's happened to me at least twice in the past four years. And I'm not the only one. Interest levels ebb and flow... I'd just "go with it" and take a rest. To 'force' the issue might be to damage your interest unnecessarily.

Texasag93, There's nothing wrong with you, my story: I'm Limited B-class overhere, not worthwhile mentioning...I was Chairman of a small IPSC Shooting team in a small, unsignificant country. I loved to shoot IPSC.

Some opposing factors killed my desire to excell in shooting and organization.... Supressed by bigger dogs in the game. (Undertone is in my posts...even wanted to quit BE-forums, but our Patron Saint of Humor talked me out of this, Merlin I ow you one!)

I went back to basics, shooting non-IPSC Club-Matches, reading books...Brians, Sauls and watching Burketts DVD's.

And gradually the desire is coming back.... it'll take some time....but I will return as a B-Class Limited! Fun is the most important Factor in the Shooting Sports.

Stray strong!

Henny.

Edited by schmitz

• 1 month later...

Well, I have agreed to sell my P16 to another shooter. <_< I have bought a new bow and decided that I couldn't buy the bow unless I get rid of something else. P16 has to go. I will still have my G35 that I have been shooting for the last year. So...I still don't have the want to and have started getting rid of shooting gear. I really hope this isn't the end of my competitive shooting career. Hunting has been going well. I will be missing my local match this weekend to bow hunt. :unsure:

It sounds like you still have a passion in your life. Right now, it's bow hunting, not pistol shooting.

Do what you love. You can't go wrong in that. And if your interest in shooting returns, we'll all welcome you back w/ open arms.

If it does not, well, we'll miss you, but wish you the best.

Benny, I will be down your way to shoot some 3-gun and still plan on shooting the TS 3-gun again. As for kicking an old man's ass, don't think I will be doing any of that. I still have the AR, Benelli and the Glock. I have all the tools still. Will be ready come march or so. When deer and duck season are over I hope to be getting the itch again. Thanks for the encouragement all.

• 6 months later...

Well, I am back to shooting. Taking it slow. Rusty would be an understatement. I have some bad habits to shake but I am wanting to shoot more these days. It will still take a back seat to hunting but hey, you can never have enough hobbies. Oh, new play toy.

post-2481-1152066094.gif

Well, I am back to shooting. Taking it slow. Rusty would be an understatement. I have some bad habits to shake but I am wanting to shoot more these days. It will still take a back seat to hunting but hey, you can never have enough hobbies. Oh, new play toy.

post-2481-1152066094.gif

Good to have you back in the fold!!!! ;)

Jeff

Our club has recently had some members return to shooting after laying off for 8-10 YEARS. including our first M class shooter. I think the desire may ebb and even go dormant for awhile, but the "need for speed" seems to always slip back in and give you that friendly kick in the pants.

Glad you're back, and even gladder that my friends are back too!

Guys, I have recently lost my interest in shooting competitively. What is wrong with me. I live for this sh!t! I don't know why, or how this came about but it did. Maybe I just got burned out. I am not that good of a shooter, I just enjoyed shooting. I have been an RO, club officer and helped with other club matches and loved doing it. Now, I don't even get the itch to shoot. Hunting season is here and I live for that. Maybe that has something to do with it. All I know is the guns are going up for now. When will I get the urge to shoot again. I don't know. Maybe I just need a break. For now...keep the matches going and enjoy what you love. I am going hunting. Maybe next year. TXAG

This happens to me every year. Whatever I have been doing all year comes to an almost immediate stop and the hunting starts. Last yr I was shooting and Area 5 came up. I shot the match then it was kinda like........what do I do now. This had to do with failing to make another goal after Area 5. I figured out this after reading "With Winnning In Mind". I think I shot 2 matches the rest of the yr and the sole purpose was to have 100% fun which for me is shooting fast on the move. I cared less how I finished or anything. I just wanted to end the yr having as much fun as I had at the beginning.

Hunting and being outdoors in the fall is something I have done all my life and it gives me a piece of mind when I'm out there. I have lost the desire to keep doing things but never hunting. Its the one thing I have I could do just about everyday.

Flyin

• 5 years later...

Had to dig up my user name and password for this. I have been completely out of shooting for 5yrs to the month. Shot my first match since July 2006 last Saturday. It was pistol/ shotgun with 7 stages.....and it felt good. Finished 4th out of 16 shooters. Im a little rusty but can feel the competitive spirit creeping back. Shooting a new STI and liking it. I moved back to West Texas and have 3 clubs within an hour of me. Gonna ease back into this and try not to over do it.

I'm back!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Had to dig up my user name and password for this. I have been completely out of shooting for 5yrs to the month. Shot my first match since July 2006 last Saturday. It was pistol/ shotgun with 7 stages.....and it felt good. Finished 4th out of 16 shooters. Im a little rusty but can feel the competitive spirit creeping back. Shooting a new STI and liking it. I moved back to West Texas and have 3 clubs within an hour of me. Gonna ease back into this and try not to over do it.

I'm back!!!!

For the last 3 years, I have been shooting 1 match per year, just to knock the rust off.

I had zero drive to shoot.

I shot 2 matches in the last two months, and found that I miss it again...