Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mein Glock Is Kaput

ErikW

I shot a bunch of rounds through my 17 yesterday, cleaned it today, greased it with Slide Glide #3, and re-assembled it. The trigger wouldn't go forward. I re-assembled it with the trigger forward, and when dry-fired, it doesn't return.

What did I do wrong, or what's broke?

Did you lose a spring cup or perhaps not get them on quite right? How much of a tear down did you do? 31 parts...shouldn't take long to check them all. BTW, you almost made your topic title an actual sentence in german - Mein Glock ist kaput.

If it's a conventional Glock trigger (3, 5 or 8lb), my guess is that it is the coil trigger return spring. This is a $.50 part is most likley broken or not connected to both the trigger bar and ejector housing. Did you do a detail strip the lower when you took it apart for cleaning?

Tear it down. Clean and inspect. While you are at it, do the $0.25 trigger job. http://www.alpharubicon.com/mrpoyz/glock/

I clean with simple green, hot water and a tooth brush. Run some Q-tips in the striker tunnel to get that gunk out (regularly). Hair dryer to dry it all up.

Lube all the proper areas (as per manual).

It is your trigger spring in the main housing near the connector.had the same problem during a match, and the gun would still shoot, but when slide came back the striker wouldn't catch on the cruciform consistantly. But if I held the gun a certain way the striker would catch. without the spring(thats glock for you, eat dirt and shoot rocks). DNF the stage. Went to the truck put in a new one and finished the match. Oh and by the way it was a wolf extra power trigger spring that broke, went back to factory one and have had no problems since.

OK I am really hosed now. I took it apart and cleaned in there, with the same result. I even compared how it all looked to my carry gun, fine. Then I put it back together sans connector. Dumb. Well now I can't pull the trigger to get the slide off.

uh oh, what did ya do Erik?if you cant pull the trigger the slide wont come off, unless you come in from the back plate of the slide and push down on the cruciform to engage the strker(iits like pulling the trigger) but you may have to destroy your back plate to get to the cruciform

You should be able to lock the slide back and remove the back plate more or less normally. Pull the striker/firing pin and then remove the slide.

Your absolutely right I was thinking of a stuck slide. Yeah you can rack the slide back and then proceede to take off the back plate and then take out the striker and internals, once you have done that than you can relase the slide stop and take the slide off.

I think that it is the other way around. Get use to cleaning that thing once in a while and tearing it down and then you will be more use to it. Here is a good site with many great pictures on detail stripping a Glock:

http://www.topglock.com/info/info.htm

I had a similar problem when I did the 25 trigger job and bent my connector while removing it. Embarrassing but this is the thread: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...topic=25551&hl=

Make sure when you take the connector in and out you don't pry on it but push it out from the off side through the little square hole.

Lessons learned.

Rick

Many rounds thru my G23 and other than the slide it's never taken apart, here's what I do:

THE FRAME

Spray with Simple Green and scrub with a toothbrush.

THE SLIDE

Take it apart and spray with Simple Green then scrub with a toothbrush. Clean the Striker hole with a Q tip. Look down the striker hole to make sure none of the Q tip remains. It is important to take the slide apart so it can be properly dried.

THE BARREL

Spray with Simple Green & run a paper towel patch down the barrel soaked in Simple Green.

Then a couple of patches with Hoppe's #9.

THE RINSE

Use moderately hot water and rinse in the sink.

THE DRYING

Use a hair dryer to dry the parts DO NOT get the plastic too hot.

Push a dry paper towel patch down the barrel until dry.

THE OILING

Follow the outline in the manual. I use synthetic motor oil for lub.

Wow you guys clean the inside of the barrel on a Glock? I've never had anything that didn't just come out with a few passes of the freebie plastic brush. I don't use any solvent on the gun anywhere and haven't ever had a need.

For a basically stock Glock I use a pretty simple procedure:

Field strip. Wipe off the excess crud every 1000 rounds with dry cloth. Brush out barrel with plastic brush, scrape chamber with dry cloth over brass punch if needed. Add a bit of lube in the prescribed spots. Re-assemble.

Every 5000 rounds, detail strip the entire gun since it is so easy. Wipe off all parts with dry cloth and inspect. Clean firing pin channel with dry Q-tip. Re-assemble and then add a bit of lube in the prescribed spots. Clean magazines with mag brush and dry cloth. Clean the mags whenever you drop them in sand or other fine dirt.

Whenever recoil spring fails the "press check" test replace it and to be safe replace the firing pin spring and trigger return spring at the same time.

Replace magazine springs every year or so.

Glocks don't like too much attention and really don't like lube in the firing pin channel. Lots of oil is not your friend with a Glock.

i shot glocks untill i got the SVI and you cant put too much oil in them...

i found the gun tracked better when the recoil spring assembly was soaked in 50 wt oil.

little oil on barrel but the trigger parts and slide rails got hosed with oil...

i cant remember any malfunctions caused by oil.

Other than it doesn need much oil to operate, why else would you not oil one?

Edited by harmongreer

...why else would you not oil one?

Oil attracks dirt which will keep it in the gun which can cause malfunctions. Gumming up the firing pin channel, as Vince said, is one problem. Gumming up the connector is another. If you regularly clean out your Glock after every 100 rounds, then by all means, soak it with all the oil you want. Lightly oiling the Glock, you can go through thousands of rounds without thorough cleaning. Glocks do not need much oil - so why over oil it? Nothing in life is bad for you unless you overdo it.