Benelli Bolt/carrier

AH6IP

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think a lightened bolt would transcend 3-gun or even shotgun competition in general if you could describe the benefits to all Benelli owners, not just 3-gun guys. Less felt recoil, better reliablity with lighter loads, etc. These are things that all Benelli owners would want if they only knew about it.

I would buy one.

Why doesn't someone clue in Benelli to this. They must took a beautiful gun (M1) and made it ugly in the name of reduced recoil. That trigger guard, funny rubber stuff in butt stock. Funky looking recoil pad. If a lightened bolt would do all what all that did without changing cosmetics, I am all for it.

• 3 months later...
Forgive the ignorant and tell me what the point is of lightening the bolt on a Benelli? Thanks.

As in post #2:

I think a lightened bolt would transcend 3-gun or even shotgun competition in general if you could describe the benefits to all Benelli owners, not just 3-gun guys. Less felt recoil, better reliablity with lighter loads, etc. These are things that all Benelli owners would want if they only knew about it.

Hmmm. I don't know if I buy into lower recoil, it fires essentially like a fixed breech gun and doesn't open until after the brunt of the thump hits you. I can see the light load improvement and a gain in cycle speed.

I dumped the Benelli's I had a couple years ago, and went to a SuperX2 for lighter recoil, improved reliability, faster cycling and so on.

I would like to shoot a 'full race' Benelli to better understand the benefits of the work......

Just FYI-

What I have found is the hunters really like the Benelli, and they like the lightened bolt system, especially those that shoot many rounds. Recently I did 10 Benellis, both 12 and 20 gauge, for the same owner. He hunts dove twice a year in Argentina. Oh, and just to pat myself on the back, he also bought my Benelli that I set up for 3 gun. His son took it to Argentina and shot 8500 rounds in 3 days---and never had a malfunction, and that is shooting their preferred light loads. A lightened bolt carrier and a SVL recoil pad works wonders.

Edited by AH6IP

So just how does a lightened bolt carrier enhance the function and reliability of a Benelli M1? Benelli's bolt carrier doesn't function the same as a bolt carrier in a M16/AR15. A certain reciprocating mass is necessary for a Benelli to function reliably. Seems to me a lighter Benelli bolt carrier would require a heavier load to adequately compress the spring inside the bolt carrier and that spring has to be compressed first before the rest of the action will work.

Mr. Jetson's son-

The bolt itself on the Benelli keeps the system locked up because of the inertia spring inside the carrier. At a given moment, the bolt unlocks, there by letting the carrier and parts recoil, ejecting the spent round. Now-that's where the lightened carrier comes into play.

Less mass moving rearward means a Lghter Load can move this mass, (read-less felt recoil). That's where you get the less felt recoil, along with a good recoil pad(SVL-Limbsaver). The stock action spring works just fine, it just makes for a more positive loading sequence, ie, shell off the lifter to the chamber.

Edited by AH6IP

Mr. Jetson's son-

The bolt itself on the Benelli keeps the system locked up because of the inertia spring inside the carrier. At a given moment, the bolt unlocks, there by letting the carrier and parts recoil, ejecting the spent round. Now-that's where the lightened carrier comes into play.

Less mass moving rearward means a Lghter Load can move this mass, (read-less felt recoil). That's where you get the less felt recoil, along with a good recoil pad(SVL-Limbsaver). The stock action spring works just fine, it just makes for a more positive loading sequence, ie, shell off the lifter to the chamber.

I've got to think about what you say. The action of the "inertia spring" as it relates to unlocking the bolt is the point of my question. As I understand it there is a forward motion of the carrier as the inertia spring compresses before the bolt unlocks and the carrier moves to the rear. Everything else you say I understand and agree. It's the effect a carrier with less mass has on the forward movement I've got to ponder.

I would like to try a lightened Benelli bolt carrier. Don't quite understand the finer points but am willing to give one a try

In my head I'm still attempting to reconcile the fact a heavier charging handle seems to make a Benelli cycle more reliably with the benefits to be gained by a lightened carrier. Sometimes 'ya just gotta cut-and-try.

;)