Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is 2/10ths under minimun load data dangerous?

AzShooter

Forgetting to measure my powder charge before getting started, I loaded up a couple of hundred rounds of 9 mm with 147 grain bullets and N 320 that are 2/10th under the minimum charge recommended.  I've always read not to shoot low charges but is this enough to worry about or would anyone use them?

I would definitely shoot them. Obviously watch for squibs within the first few rounds but they should be fine. You may experience some functioning issues depending on the firearm.

Edited by 4n2t0

1 hour ago, AzShooter said:

Forgetting to measure my powder charge before getting started, I loaded up a couple of hundred rounds of 9 mm with 147 grain bullets and N 320 that are 2/10th under the minimum charge recommended.  I've always read not to shoot low charges but is this enough to worry about or would anyone use them?

What are you looking at 2.9 to 3.0 gr of powder?  Shoot those things.  Should be fine.

On 3/28/2020 at 10:26 PM, usmc1974 said:

I would bet pretty much, bet anybody that loads 147's  that close to the minimum without weighing every single one, shoots a lot of rounds that's 2/10 under minimum. Just saying.

You need a better powder measure.  My Dillon measures don't vary that much EVER.

Just now, racerba said:

depends on the powder also...

Well I suppose you are right, but no powder measure throws exactly the same amount every time even from the factory. That is why powder tricklers was invented. And two tenths of a grain may not matter in the pistol. It can make a big difference in a rifle.IMHO.

On 3/30/2020 at 5:41 PM, usmc1974 said:

Well I suppose you are right, but no powder measure throws exactly the same amount every time even from the factory. That is why powder tricklers was invented. And two tenths of a grain may not matter in the pistol. It can make a big difference in a rifle.IMHO.

2/10th when using TiteBoom is a LOT.

However I don't use that powder.

I use Clays for 45 ACP and WST for 9mm.  My drops don't vary .1 gr.  Boringly consistant.

2 hours ago, ExStreetWalker said:

2/10th when using TiteBoom is a LOT.

However I don't use that powder.

I use Clays for 45 ACP and WST for 9mm.  My drops don't vary .1 gr.  Boringly consistant.

+.1 to -.1 = 2/10ths

Edited by Ming the Merciless