Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is 2/10ths under minimun load data dangerous?


AzShooter
 Share

Recommended Posts

Forgetting to measure my powder charge before getting started, I loaded up a couple of hundred rounds of 9 mm with 147 grain bullets and N 320 that are 2/10th under the minimum charge recommended.  I've always read not to shoot low charges but is this enough to worry about or would anyone use them?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would definitely shoot them. Obviously watch for squibs within the first few rounds but they should be fine. You may experience some functioning issues depending on the firearm.

Edited by 4n2t0
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AzShooter said:

Forgetting to measure my powder charge before getting started, I loaded up a couple of hundred rounds of 9 mm with 147 grain bullets and N 320 that are 2/10th under the minimum charge recommended.  I've always read not to shoot low charges but is this enough to worry about or would anyone use them?

What are you looking at 2.9 to 3.0 gr of powder?  Shoot those things.  Should be fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/28/2020 at 10:26 PM, usmc1974 said:

I would bet pretty much, bet anybody that loads 147's  that close to the minimum without weighing every single one, shoots a lot of rounds that's 2/10 under minimum. Just saying.

 

You need a better powder measure.  My Dillon measures don't vary that much EVER.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, racerba said:

depends on the powder also...

 

Well I suppose you are right, but no powder measure throws exactly the same amount every time even from the factory. That is why powder tricklers was invented. And two tenths of a grain may not matter in the pistol. It can make a big difference in a rifle.IMHO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/30/2020 at 5:41 PM, usmc1974 said:

Well I suppose you are right, but no powder measure throws exactly the same amount every time even from the factory. That is why powder tricklers was invented. And two tenths of a grain may not matter in the pistol. It can make a big difference in a rifle.IMHO.

 

2/10th when using TiteBoom is a LOT.

 

However I don't use that powder.

 

I use Clays for 45 ACP and WST for 9mm.  My drops don't vary .1 gr.  Boringly consistant.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ExStreetWalker said:

 

2/10th when using TiteBoom is a LOT.

 

However I don't use that powder.

 

I use Clays for 45 ACP and WST for 9mm.  My drops don't vary .1 gr.  Boringly consistant.

 

+.1 to -.1 = 2/10ths

Edited by Ming the Merciless
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...