Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SWMP compared to AA7

racer-x

Not a fan of N350 for this use. I've worked with quite a few powders over the years with 9major including N350, 3N37, 3N38, True Blue, HS6, WAC, AA7 and now SWMP.

I like the feel of 115's best in open, so this limits your powder choices a little more. Less dense powders like N350, 3N37 & 3N38 are compressed quite a bit, and this causes problems with holding OAL (rounds lengthen after being loaded) and getting the PF you want as well. I experimented using a powder ram in the early days and it caused more problems than it solved (reduced case tension on bullet).

True Blue & WAC are the cleanest I've used with 9 major / 115 loads that can easily make 170PF.

My back to back testing with identical PF SWMP & AA7 loads feel identical to me.

I've seen as much variation (charge required to make X PF) between different lots of the same powder.

9 hours ago, racer-x said:

Not a fan of N350 for this use. I've worked with quite a few powders over the years with 9major including N350, 3N37, 3N38, True Blue, HS6, WAC, AA7 and now SWMP.

I like the feel of 115's best in open, so this limits your powder choices a little more. Less dense powders like N350, 3N37 & 3N38 are compressed quite a bit, and this causes problems with holding OAL (rounds lengthen after being loaded) and getting the PF you want as well. I experimented using a powder ram in the early days and it caused more problems than it solved (reduced case tension on bullet).

True Blue & WAC are the cleanest I've used with 9 major / 115 loads that can easily make 170PF.

My back to back testing with identical PF SWMP & AA7 loads feel identical to me.

I've seen as much variation (charge required to make X PF) between different lots of the same powder.

Arnt AA7 and SWMP the same powder just made in different factories...?

Here is my data (Venom Custom, 9mm, 5.4" barrel KKM, 3 port comp, 2 barrel holes):

image.png.5a73645b16248575dffe777d2423c159.png

AA7 shot better groups with better return to zero. SWMP gave me unburnt granuals left over, AA7 gives me a nasty residue. SWMP powder was clumpy in container but broke up easily.

I will be sticking with AA7 for now.

IMG_20200329_170309530.thumb.jpg.7c02214d54dc41722da567ea4d7a952b.jpg

PocketPistol,

Thanks for posting your data and targets. Why didn’t you post SD numbers for MP? You said you preferred AA7 to MP, but you are not comparing the same weight bullets and loads, at least in your posted data. Your MP target shows a load of 9.6 but no data was posted. It just doesn’t seem like an apples to apples comparison, when comparing two different bullet weights, even though the PF may have been the same. Lighter bullets and heavier bullets both feel differently to me in my guns, even at the same PF. Please explain in further detail when you have time. Thx...l

Edited by igolfat8

This is data over 2 months. 

Started with SWMP, loaded a bunch until I was out of powder. Then I bought 115's and couldn't test SWMP with 115s.

Next, I tried HS6 with both 124's and 115's and I liked the 115's, so I bought a case of those.

Now I am trying my new AA7 115 loads vs the SMWP 124 loads I loaded up originally. 

I had fewer shots when I captured SD/ES for SWMP so I didn't consider the numbers valid. This is not as scientific as it could be, but it is what I have.

Josh

Just curious what year the slow / dirtier SWMP lot numbers were from? 2018? 2019? I'm looking to place a bulk order pretty soon, wondering if this is still a common issue with those lots still being in online retail circulation.

I tried both when I was shooting 9 Maj. For the lots I had (both shot up) The SWMP required about 3 or 4 10ths more powder to make same PF. 

The SWMP was a bit flatter than AA7, so I just assumed a bit slower powder meant more gas. The reason I stayed with AA7 was the dot was

straight up and down with AA7. SWMP made the dot move to one side at the top and I didn't like that. 

I was shooting 9.7 grns of AA7 with a 124 PD at 1.165 with a .375 crimp neither had any kernels or flaking in my gun,just dirty residue.

THE SWMP was 10.1 grns with all other specs the same. 

I also tried, WAC, HS6, 3n37, true blue

WAC was clean, but didn't some reading and it seems its on the fast end and could be pressure spiky, I used it before AA7

HS6 just didn't have the right feel or dot movement for me

3n37 wasn't regularly available enough for me

I don't remember on true blue.

I shoot 38$C now, and still use AA7 or 3n38

Edited by TRPOperator

On 4/8/2020 at 9:09 AM, TRPOperator said:

I tried both when I was shooting 9 Maj. For the lots I had (both shot up) The SWMP required about 3 or 4 10ths more powder to make same PF. 

The SWMP was a bit flatter than AA7, so I just assumed a bit slower powder meant more gas. The reason I stayed with AA7 was the dot was

straight up and down with AA7. SWMP made the dot move to one side at the top and I didn't like that. 

I was shooting 9.7 grns of AA7 with a 124 PD at 1.165 with a .375 crimp neither had any kernels or flaking in my gun,just dirty residue.

THE SWMP was 10.1 grns with all other specs the same. 

I also tried, WAC, HS6, 3n37, true blue

WAC was clean, but didn't some reading and it seems its on the fast end and could be pressure spiky, I used it before AA7

HS6 just didn't have the right feel or dot movement for me

3n37 wasn't regularly available enough for me

I don't remember on true blue.

I shoot 38$C now, and still use AA7 or 3n38

That's exactly how I felt, SWMP is a good powder don't get me wrong but AA7 tracks the dot better on the open gun.  I have about 6lbs of SWMP and I just went back to AA7.  I will be using SWMP until it runs out then I will be only be using AA7.  I tried WAC, HS6, AA7 and SWMP, prefer AA7...  

• 3 months later...

My .02 so far making this transition.

I couldn't handle how much the AA7 caked inside my guns anymore. So far good results with the SWMP but still too early to tell if its the AA7 killer.

I'm loading 10.2gr in 38 Super Comp for about 170PF with no poppel holes in my guns. I learned on the book of faces that there were some lot variants they discovered so note worth LOT 514. Plated 124gr Accura HPs seem to group well so far. More testing to come but I bought 32 pounds so Im in it for the long haul.