Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 59oz weight limit for Carry Optics, what’s the big difference it will make?

If the whole point of raising the weight limit was to effectively do away with weight limits, I’m seeing less and less reason a shooter shouldn’t be allowed to add whatever weight they want as long as the pistol, mag, and optic stay below 59oz... 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, HCH said:

If the weight limit is X, why can’t I make my gun weigh X?

Im not saying you have to have a 3.5 pound gun to be competitive—never have. I’m saying it doesn’t make sense to have the weight limit be X and then not allow certain guns the ability to get to that number. 

Either: weight limit is now “X”or ”weight limit is X number of ounces over weight on production list” would be fine

.... but “weight limit is X.... but you can’t add external weight” is quite silly. 

I would have preferred that there be no weight limit established, since as MikeBurgess mentioned and you proved, it gives people a target to shoot for. USPSA obviously didn't consult me before they started these waves of rule changes to Prod and Poor Open. I view allowing frame weights as antithetical to the idea of a "carry optics" gun, like a compensator or a *thumb rest [generic]*. 

Now here's where I get hung up- imagine someone could replace internal parts with tungsten parts to take a Glock up to 59oz. Should that be prohibited like a frame weight? I'd say yes, but it would have been legal even under the old rules, with the exception of that particular weight limit. 

6 minutes ago, Xanatos903 said:

I would have preferred that there be no weight limit established, since as MikeBurgess mentioned and you proved, it gives people a target to shoot for. USPSA obviously didn't consult me before they started these waves of rule changes to Prod and Poor Open. I view allowing frame weights as antithetical to the idea of a "carry optics" gun, like a compensator or a *thumb rest [generic]*. 

Now here's where I get hung up- imagine someone could replace internal parts with tungsten parts to take a Glock up to 59oz. Should that be prohibited like a frame weight? I'd say yes, but it would have been legal even under the old rules, with the exception of that particular weight limit. 

By this post I’m guessing you’re more of a “production plus X guy.” Which I understand. 

If anyone managed to get a glock to 59 oz with internal weight, under the current rules, it should absolutely be allowed. 

Then again we have already realized my opinion is just that.

Seems that the "weight limit" should have just been set at something like 6-8 oz. over factory weight. That would give whatever gun with whatever optic the ability to play. 

The other thought I have is this. With the time off from any match prep I've been playing. Got my old G34 out and ran a bunch of drills with it vs. my Stock II. Couldn't really do this when moving to the Stock II due to the learning curve of getting used to the weight, DA/SA, etc. It became quickly apparent (to me at least) that it's not the weight, it's the trigger. All else being equal the lighter gun would be my preference. 

On 4/4/2020 at 8:35 PM, motosapiens said:

I'd like to see the weight limit set at 80 oz, just to see if some retards would try to shoot for that weight instead of learning how to shoot.

you just like to watch the feeble minded struggle don't you 🤣

• 5 months later...

I have 2 weight received fire4effects shadows 2s.  I think there are a lot of variables and personal opinions at play.  I know people who shoot well and flat both ways.  personal opinion of how much weight you want in the hand to move around with.  FACT - the lighter slide will move faster and feel a bit more snappy than stock, unmilled.  not to day people don't shoot fast and flat with the stock slide either.  I personally think the slide speed and recoil impulse is going to make the most difference here, not overall weight, etc where largely return to zero is going to be proper grip strength and technique.  I do feel like my milled shadow 2s have a different feel than the stock unmilled.  I must attribute that to the lighter slide.