Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI 5.4" IPSC magwell, sharp corner dehorn advice

Gene_WI

How Folks

After 10.5 month of waiting my Infinity is finally here. All stainless 5.4" IPSC legal sight tracker in .40. Certainly the finest pistol I have ever handled, exactly what I wanted.

But I have one minor dilemma with it.

4malbxPtFhq8u0x6vj81rygO4SKUnaOJPOtrT_uM

I got the pistol built to be IPSC legal, since shooting some matches in Europe is a long term ambition of mine. In order to fit in the IPSC box, SVI shaves the back of the magwell. The cut that they make looks amazing, but it leaves two somewhat sharp spikes on the back of the grip. 

Here are the great looking, but sharp spikes in all their glory.

pyJYaZtC8FTJelgSksRiSjwogIhvgGIlw0mEFdeD

I don't think they are an issue for shooting, but I can totally see cutting myself on these sometime. I am thinking of filing them a tad... To those that have SVI pistols built to IPSC specs like this one, what have you done? How does it look?

Thank you

-Gene

Someone who's handy with a file can round off those corners and polish to match the rest in probably 5-10 minutes .  If that's stainless, which it appears to be, it'll look like it came that way from the factory.  If you're not comfortable doing it, or don't know someone who is, you can probably send just the magwell back to SV and have them do it for you.

Edited by ltdmstr

@MikeyScuba @Gene_WI could you please post an up-close photo of slide stop (installed)? Does it have a dimple drilled for the plunger?

SVI slide stop have a slope cut where plunger rests comfortably preventing it from bumping up. Yet it makes the lever not parallel to lower line of frame cut-out. From the picture you posted it looks like I just described. I wonder if that's how it is intended.

I have a custom gun built with SVI small parts. Not sure - should I leave it as is unmodified, or should I drill it, but then I'd need to file it too to not contact the slide.

Did you asked for specific functionality to be able to remove slide stop without bringing slide back to disassembly notch? (Useful if gun is locked up hard)

Edited by arkadi

I'll post a pic when I get home, I replaced mine with a nitro fin.

6 hours ago, arkadi said:

@MikeyScuba @Gene_WI

Did you asked for specific functionality to be able to remove slide stop without bring slide back to disassembly notch? (Useful if gun is locked up hard)

No.  I didn't know I even asked for the accessory rail.

10 hours ago, arkadi said:

@MikeyScuba @Gene_WI could you please post an up-close photo of slide stop (installed)? Does it have a dimple drilled for the plunger?

SVI slide stop have a slope cut where plunger rests comfortably preventing it from bumping up. Yet it makes the lever not parallel to lower line of frame cut-out. From the picture you posted it looks like I just described. I wonder if that's how it is intended.

I have a custom gun built with SVI small parts. Not sure - should I leave it as is unmodified, or should I drill it, but then I'd need to file it too to not contact the slide.

Did you asked for specific functionality to be able to remove slide stop without bringing slide back to disassembly notch? (Useful if gun is locked up hard)

Hi Arkadi

I will take some pictures for you next weekend. I am not aware of the slide stop functionality you are describing, but will check. If it exist it is not something that I explicitly ordered form SVI.

-Gene

Sorry for my delay in getting back to everyone. Had to do some last minute scrambling with all of this Beer Flu that going around. All settled in now. Trying a different image server for the pics. Please let me know if you can see them.

202002281910191584403934.jpg

202002281909511584403934.jpg

I did de-horn the spikes very gently with a jewelers file and that helped. Have been dry-firing a ton now that we are indoors, and teh spikes still bug me every once in a while.

Edited by Gene_WI

On 3/2/2020 at 5:20 AM, arkadi said:

202003072034301584404263.jpg

20200316-20461584411954.jpg

here are the pictures for you. 

Edited by Gene_WI