Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 929 WON'T RUN MY RELOADS !!!!

TheGoatMumbler

33 minutes ago, AzShooter said:

Call Smith & Wesson first and tell them you are a competitive shooter and a lot of work has been done to your gun.  I've done it before and they will repair what's wrong and not take out all of my upgrades.  

It's worth asking.

I have done the same thing. They don't like it but they do it.

I asked if their pro shooters (they had several at the time) use stock guns.

They sent it back with the same trigger pull and parts.

Worth asking.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

My 929 went down on me at a match today, again. Need to decide if I want to try and find someone to repair the crane or if I want to deal with the hassles of sending a competition modified gun in for repair.

If the new Ruger triggers can be made even decent there is no way I would not take the new Ruger over the 929. 

I will let you know in about a week 

My 929 went down on me at a match today, again. Need to decide if I want to try and find someone to repair the crane or if I want to deal with the hassles of sending a competition modified gun in for repair. 

Yoke problems? Only Colts and Rugers have "cranes." [emoji6]

Do you reload weak hand? It's not uncommon to push the yoke out when reloading with the weak hand. A gunsmith can fit a solid pin to replace the spring loaded plunger in your yoke screw.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, AzShooter said:

Call Smith & Wesson first and tell them you are a competitive shooter and a lot of work has been done to your gun.  I've done it before and they will repair what's wrong and not take out all of my upgrades.  

It's worth asking.

Thank you for that. Will take that advice. 

14 hours ago, bcp said:

Do you mind sharing more of what has happened?  Sounds like something you've experienced before.  I'm trying to decide on some 929's but don't have experience with them.  

Yoke came out during a reload. It happens if the Yoke screw gets loose but apparently also the screw (which contains a captured spring/plunger that secures the yoke) needs to be replaced once in a while? In any case it has happened to me twice (929 and a 625, neither had a loose yoke screw) & I have seen it happen to a 625 shooter at a match and apparently the next to the last person who posted on this thread had it happen. Somewhere there is a thread where folks talk about replacing the yoke screw-spring-plunger assembly with a solid metal screw that has been cut to just the right length and a point ground on the end to match the profile of the oem yoke screw plunger.

Other thing that has ended my day was a broken firing pin that I did not have a spare for. 

A lot of people have had good luck with the 929's, and I thought I had payed my dues (learned to loctite & check screws, found a .358 bullet that does not lead the barrel, etc) but I'm looking hard at the Ruger. I think the GP100 platform is more rugged and I like it that you can dry fire the snot out of them without worrying about snap caps or removing the firing pin. I'd rather make it through a match with a 7.5# trigger than almost make it through with a 5.5# trigger if that is what it comes down to. 

9 hours ago, PatJones said:

Do you reload weak hand? It's not uncommon to push the yoke out when reloading with the weak hand. A gunsmith can fit a solid pin to replace the spring loaded plunger in your yoke screw.

Weak hand yes. If I don't sell the gun when it gets fixed I will try the solid pin route I think. 

• 1 year later...

I reload 9 for myself and my brother.  Mainly spittle shooting.

My brother got a 929 last year and reloads work great.

I bought a used 929 and the reloads wont sit all the way down in the cylinder. New factory ammo sits fine.  I do have a small bulge in the reload brass.

1 do I need a different resize die.  Currently using Dillion in a 650 press.

2. Why does it work in one 929 and not the others?

16 minutes ago, Ricconeill3502 said:

I reload 9 for myself and my brother.  Mainly spittle shooting.

My brother got a 929 last year and reloads work great.

I bought a used 929 and the reloads wont sit all the way down in the cylinder. New factory ammo sits fine.  I do have a small bulge in the reload brass.

1 do I need a different resize die.  Currently using Dillion in a 650 press.

2. Why does it work in one 929 and not the others?

Send cylinder to TK Custom and have it reamed. If possible send the one that works and they could team the same size. Call them and ask on what they would advise. 

You indicate new ammo is fine?  What do you use for brass? is it mixed?  If so,  pull out 8 Winchesters and try that..  If they are fine your probably going to have to stick with 1 manufacturer.  I use a Lee U-die as many others do and have never had any issues.  (TK moons with Win brass, .358 160gr RN).

9mm Major especially with some aggressive ramp cuts along with some Glocks, if running 9 major or other high pressure loads, can produce a bulge that needs a roll sizer to remove.  

Or more than likely it's a rough chamber or two in the cylinder.