Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading fully processed brass

Balakay

For those of you reloading fully processed brass, do you still run the brass through the sizing die in station 1?  I suppose I could also remove the decapping rod and leave the die in place.

(Loading 9 mm on a Dillon 650)

3 hours ago, Balakay said:

For those of you reloading fully processed brass, do you still run the brass through the sizing die in station 1?  I suppose I could also remove the decapping rod and leave the die in place.

(Loading 9 mm on a Dillon 650)

Yes, just as a precaution in case an un-processed piece slips in.  When I process my brass (AB driven 1050) I run them through a Dillion sizing die then an EGW-U die. 

I poke along at 2K rounds per hour loading 9MM Minor, can go higher but everything seems smoother at this pace.  I process about 3K per hour. 

Edited by GregJ

I decided to load some .380s in brass culled out of range pickup 9mm.

I sized, flared, and primed some on the single stage and gave up, could not bear the thought of handling them three more times to powder, seat, and crimp.

I put the .380 dies in the Dillon head I used to use for .44-40 (Haven't CAS in years.) and borrowed a .223 shellplate. 

I left out the sizing die for those already partly processed, will install it and fill the primer feed when I get down to empties. 

However, when loading new brass that has been shaken around in box or bag, I run it through the sizing die to round out the dents.

Edited by Jim Watson

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...