Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 2005 Uspsa Rules And Clarifications!

NEW RULES

Thanks to all the USPSA board members. Especially to Mr. Gary. It's really nice when the directors listen to the shooters.

New Multi Gun rule 5.6

Any Rifle and/or Handgun and associated ammunition may be tested at any time. In the event that the ammunition fails to make declared power factor, the actual (measured) power factor will be used for scoring. Shotguns and ammunition must be 20 gauge or larger. Shotguns will be scored major. All other provisions of 5.6 (including subsections) apply. (President’s comments) Shotguns will not be chronographed. Remember, plates and poppers will be tested with a load 520pf or less if challenged….

New Multi Gun rule 5.2.7

Tie down holsters and holsters with the heel of the butt below the top of the belt are allowed. All other provisions of 5.2.7 (including sub clauses) apply.

Interpretation

A magnifier may be used with an optical sight in Tactical division without violating the "one optic" rule, provided: a) the magnifier does not contain an aiming reticle B) the magnifier can not be used as an aiming device by itself c) the magnifier is mounted in the same location on the rifle for the entire match If these provisions are satisfied, a) the magnifier will not be considered a second/separate optic, B) and the competitor may start and use their optic in either magnified or unmagnified mode without further restriction.

Interpretation

Legally-possessed sound-suppressors are allowed, are not considered compensators and therefore are not subject to the size restrictions on compensators in Standard and Tactical Rifle Divisions. Any suppressor which has functional characteristics which serve to reduce muzzle-flip and/or felt recoil (e.g., externally-visible baffles or ports) will be considered a compensator.

I actually agree with everything! :P

Edited by Erik Warren

Yeek.. the suppressor loophole is big enough to drive a truck through. I guess they've either never shot one, or are trying to keep it a secret. Even IPSC recognized that no noise=no high pressure gas coming out=less recoil. F=ma

I agree that the supressor is, in and of how it works, a recoil reduction device in practice. Having shot a couple of suppressed items, though... at least, handguns, I didn't notice what I'd consider to be any advantage. The heavy front end is.... unwieldy to say the least. And, the suppressor can interferes w/ the sights on an iron sighted pistol. Certainly, the baffles soak up a little recoil, but I can't see tying an extra 8" of steel to the end of my barrel just for giggles - at least with the arrangements I've shot, I can do a heck of a lot better w/o the suppresor.

Never shot a supressed rifle - I'd imagine this might make an effect for a major PF rifle's recoil control, though, eh??

The suppressor is an issue now because of a competitor from the Army using one on his rifle at the 2004 US3G and getting bumped to open for it.

I see it's loophole being self-closing on a pistol as XRE says. On a rifle, it's an effective brake for sure, but because it is designed for silence, it's bulk far outweighs it's ultimate effectiveness in comparison to say a JP tank brake that IS way more effective than a typical Tac legal brake. IMO, it should definitely be legal in Tactical division "if" it is a system you are using on duty (like the Army guy last year who then wound up in open for the match).

--

Regards,

I saw the Army guy shoot his rifle on a stage last year. No problem registering a last shot.

I've read that suppressors generally brings centerfire noise down to the noise to .22 LR levels. My Pocket Pro 1 needed to be directed to register my shots during my practice with a .22 kit in my AR.

I guess you just need to test timers or hold it closer or the direct the sensor to the gun.

bighamp let me shoot that rifle the day before the match last year and i promise you it was anything but gamey. there was so much weight at the muzzle that it actually dropped a lot when you fired. way to much weight out there to be effective at most any match 3 gun match.

he was only shooting for evaluation purposes and didnt care too much about shooting open. Nice chmidt and bender optics we bought him too btw. :)

please correct me if i'm wrong Aaron.

Tewlman, which Schmidt & Bender scope was on Aaron's rifle? I shot it at last years RM3G and it was topped with an EO-Tech. I wasn't driving it around a cof just a few rounds offhand and found it to be useable but no advantage. Keith

Tewlman, which Schmidt & Bender scope was on Aaron's rifle? I shot it at last years RM3G and it was topped with an EO-Tech. I wasn't driving it around a cof just a few rounds offhand and found it to be useable but no advantage. Keith

I dont recall the make of that scope. S&B usually means to pricey for me to worry about, so i didn't pay much attention. besides, i'm an acog fan.