Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleats / Shoes for HARD dirt

Avedis

Hey guys, my local USPSA club has really hard/compacted dirt in almost every bay. I've recently switched to the Solomon Speedcross 4 Forces which helped with traction. 

I'd like to take the traction to the next level and wanted to see what you guys would recommend for really hard dirt ranges. Im open to everything thats not overly clunky/bulky.

Was thinking something with metal spikes, maybe baseball cleats or track spikes with metal dirt spikes?

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/mens-ua-harper-3-mid-st-baseball-cleats/pcid3020585?scid=scplp3020585-001-8&sc_intid=3020585-001-8&cid=PLA|US|B|GGL|DES|SiC|ROAS|||Outlet|Product|&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhdCCuqjD5gIVjONkCh3dWQ9OEAYYASABEgJjFfD_BwE

Edited by Avedis

I wear Saucony Peregrine trail shoes. They’ve been great on all types of terrain from loose gravel to rock hard dirt. They are very comfortable and usually go on clearance towards this time of year. 

Edited by mveto

3 hours ago, igofast85 said:

Metal baseball cleats may work.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This is where I’d go. Baseball players regularly do their thing on hard-packed dirt, other sports don’t.

Change shoes if there’s a little bit of rain, and you don’t want to sprain seven ankles during the match by ice skating across wooden fault lines.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I know someone who only uses metal baseball cleats.  Seems to work great on most surfaces even on wood. They dig into the wood a bit but I don’t know about when it is wet.  Seems like a good cleat to use for most matches though.  

I wear trail runners to the match and have football cleats in the car and I evaluate the surface and stages when I get there and then decide what I want to wear that day.  Works well for me. 

• 2 weeks later...