Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coated Bullets (Ex. Blue Bullets) Help me understand why coated is better than plated please

Sigarmsp226

10 hours ago, cecil said:

I have shot over 10,000 Everglades plated 124gr bullets... no build up when my PCC had a comp..  reasonable & very accurate  .. I recently installed a Taccom ULW 5.25" barrel on both of my PCC's … no compensator .. but.. was told by Tim at Taccom not to shoot coated bullets because it coats the aluminum shroud which requires tedious removal..  

Didn’t Tim posted somewhere here and in fb that theres a way now to clean his shrouds easily now and that is w/ a 1/2” pvc pipe s40?

14 hours ago, BoyGlock said:

Didn’t Tim posted somewhere here and in fb that theres a way now to clean his shrouds easily now and that is w/ a 1/2” pvc pipe s40?

yes....  Tim did post something about using a 1/2" PVC pipe to clean a the shroud on their upper.....  not sure how easy it is...  how ever I think I will continue to shoot plate bullets..

IMO (and it's just that, an opinion as I have no proof) it seems logical that, if you're shooting very large volumes of ammo, a polymer coated bullet is going to cause less barrel wear than a copper jacket. Now I have no proof of that, but I *can* tell you that I've put around twenty thousand rounds through my current barrel (all but around 4k were powder coated or lubricated lead), and my barrel shows little wear. Far less than what I would expect to see had I put 20k jacketed bullets through it. But since I don't have another identical barrel that I shot the same amount of copper plated/jacketed bullets to compare it to, it certainly isn't proof.

Since my son and I shoot *a lot* of ammo every week, expense is another thing to consider. I can cast and powder coat my own bullets for far, far, FAR less money than buying copper plated or jacketed. Since my lead source is free, my tin source is cheap, and my antimony cost is relatively cheap, it's a no-brainer for us to shoot coated bullets.

It was quite a bit of work to work up a load for coated bullets that was as accurate as my previous load for FMJ/plated bullets, but we finally got it dialed in to where the coated bullets are every bit as accurate.

If I had the budget, sure... I'd shoot plated/fmj over coated, but unfortunately I don't have an unlimited budget. :)

Edited by Phlier

Coated isn't better(or worse), it is cheaper...and not even that much anymore.

Coated are great for Prod/CO/SS or just general plinking, maybe choose something else for a compensated gun that's going to get used a lot. The manufactures also state not to push them beyond certain velocities(depending on the bullet). Some people still use them for that without issues though, so see what works for you.

I have shot Blue Bullets almost exclusively since I started USPSA 3 years ago, but I only shoot Production, SingleStack and some Carry Optics, barrels are all in great shape. Any evidence of leading in the rifling I make sure to soak and scrub out.

On 12/8/2019 at 2:19 PM, cecil said:

yes....  Tim did post something about using a 1/2" PVC pipe to clean a the shroud on their upper.....  not sure how easy it is...  how ever I think I will continue to shoot plate bullets..

easy, it ain't 😉

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2019 at 2:54 PM, NOSHMJ said:

I have been shooting Blue Bullets for 3 years now with 0 major leading issues in my open guns or either of my PCC guns.  My MPX has a Sig226 X5 comp on it, and it cleans easily with only a brass brush, after soaking it for about 45 min in a 50/50 solution of apple cider vinegar and peroxide.  The open guns, usually only have a little carbon build up, but for the small amounts of lead, I do the same.  50/50 apple cider vinegar, and peroxide.  Soak it while u clean up the gun, and use a small pick to knock the build up out.... good to go.   I also spray the comps before each match with a little Dillon case lube to help the build up from happening.  Seems to work pretty good. 

Isnt this a recipe for "the dip" which is extremely hazardous if not handled properly?

I first started shooting coated lead in 1990...since then I have gone through a ton or two of them along with lots of plated and jackets rounds. Two things have kept me using coated...Dillon Case Lube sprayed into the comp every 50 rounds and a small EBay engraver that I use to remove the build-up when it gets to an annoying level. I shoot about 25K lead bullets in compensated guns each year and normally clean the comps twice a year. The coated lead are generally as good as...or better than most plated bullets in terms of accuracy at 50 yards and normally achieve similar speeds with a hair less powder...BUT I do need to use the DCL and clean the comps a couple of times... My PPC K frames get swabbed with Ed's red and wiped down..

YMMV 

On 12/5/2019 at 5:54 PM, NOSHMJ said:

I have been shooting Blue Bullets for 3 years now with 0 major leading issues in my open guns or either of my PCC guns.  My MPX has a Sig226 X5 comp on it, and it cleans easily with only a brass brush, after soaking it for about 45 min in a 50/50 solution of apple cider vinegar and peroxide.  The open guns, usually only have a little carbon build up, but for the small amounts of lead, I do the same.  50/50 apple cider vinegar, and peroxide.  Soak it while u clean up the gun, and use a small pick to knock the build up out.... good to go.   I also spray the comps before each match with a little Dillon case lube to help the build up from happening.  Seems to work pretty good. 

I use a 50/50 mix of vinegar & hydrogen peroxide and soak the comp in a glass for 24 hrs.  Softens the lead so it's pretty easily picked out.  BUT... be very careful with vinegar & Hydrogen peroxide - it creates peracetic acid with is toxic & will severely damage your lungs if you breathe the fumes.  I mix it outside, up wind from the glass, put the barrel in the glass and then cover it with plastic wrap.  24 hrs later, remove the plastic, discard the mixture (down wind from you) and rinse with clean water.  Also, when mixing, pour the hydrogen peroxide into the vinegar, not the other way around - vinegar in the glass first then slowly pour in the hydrogen peroxide.  Wear rubber gloves and use a face shield or wrap around glasses to prevent any splatters from getting to your eyes.  This is BAD stuff!

On 12/29/2019 at 8:50 PM, mvmojo said:

I use a 50/50 mix of vinegar & hydrogen peroxide and soak the comp in a glass for 24 hrs.  Softens the lead so it's pretty easily picked out.  BUT... be very careful with vinegar & Hydrogen peroxide - it creates peracetic acid with is toxic & will severely damage your lungs if you breathe the fumes.  I mix it outside, up wind from the glass, put the barrel in the glass and then cover it with plastic wrap.  24 hrs later, remove the plastic, discard the mixture (down wind from you) and rinse with clean water.  Also, when mixing, pour the hydrogen peroxide into the vinegar, not the other way around - vinegar in the glass first then slowly pour in the hydrogen peroxide.  Wear rubber gloves and use a face shield or wrap around glasses to prevent any splatters from getting to your eyes.  This is BAD stuff!

thank you for adding the safety precautions. 

it would be good for the mods to add that on the first post that mentions the chemicals. 

I shot lots of coated bullets. 

I shot them because they cost half the price of the Montana Gold bullets price. 

I you are having a leading to the barrel it may be because of using a fast powder. It burns the coating off. 

Popular Brands

Our Newsletter

Your First Name: Your Email Address:

Attention All Customers!  Over the years, we have noticed one common theme when it comes to dirty/leaded barrels...Powders with fast and or hot burn rates.  Here is a link to a powder burn rate chart.  We recommend powders with burn rates slower than the top 15 on this list, with the exceptions being Ramshot Competition, Red Dot, and N310. 

We HIGHLY recommend checking out "Alliant Sport Pistol."  It's an excellent, cheap, and readily available powder that is made specifically for coated bullets.  There are plenty of other options out there, so please stay away from very fast/hot burning powders with our coated bullets.  Thank you!