Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TK custom or Revolver Supply Moonclips?

Demus319

1 hour ago, Demus319 said:

Looking to get new Moonclips for my SW 929 9mm. So I’m looking at TK custom or Revolver Supply Moonclips. Is the a big difference between the two? 

Before you buy either, get your hands on some to test out. Moons are critical to the performance of the gun, and often overlooked. 

Also, matching head-stamps is just as important so that the clip to brass fit is the same. Find the thickest clips that work with the brass you’re going to use.  

53 minutes ago, jcc7x7 said:

Mike, are the daa black, SS or nickle

Thanks Neil

Hi Neil,

Stainless.  Hard to hell them apart from TK other than the lazer engraving.

Tai Johnson makes a more magnetic .042" stainless moon.  Tried to sell me on them but I'm not introducing a new variable -solving a problem I really don't have.  Plus I've accumulated ~290 moonclips

7 minutes ago, Sanzo said:

I swear by the .040 stainless moonclip from TK and Sig Brass.   Been extremely reliable in my 929.

Certainly more reliable than I am 😉

I've only ever found 1 sig 9mm case.  Ever

And I sort a lot of brass to grow my blazer stash.

I purchased mine new from cableas (600 rounds-ish).   ToddKS gets them in occasionally.   I cleaned him out of about 1600 cases a few months ago.   as well as they are lasting, I think I'll have enough brass for the life of the gun.

Playing now with their 38 special cases cutting them down to mid and short colt length.

Edited by Sanzo

17 hours ago, Igloodude said:

Are the recommendations pretty much the same for .45ACP (S&W 625) as well? I've got some black metal moonclips, no markings and 15+ years old, that allow quite a bit of directional play in the rounds - if I'm not reasonably close to vertical loading one, then it isn't going to go into the cylinder.

No. 625s are pretty much universal. They hold the rounds with some play but because the cylinder was more air than metal it didn’t matter. The reload and cheap moons are about the only part of the 625 I miss. 

Now all that being said, if you think you need a tighter fit- try the TKs for the 625. I have a few and found them to be much more sturdy than the cheap blued ones. 

Been using the stainless .040" DAA moons for years. 

After tuning my 929 to a 6lb DA pull, the DAA moons had the best ignition reliability of all the moons I tested.

It figures it was the last moon brand tested and they come from a neighboring state.

I only use nickle plated brass in my 929, but a fellow wheelgunner I lent a few moons to uses whatever he picks up and has had no issues either.

As was mentioned, try different brands before going all in.

SJC

What is the theory behind one brand on moon clips giving better ignition.

It the better yield because of dimensional differences??

Is there another problem that is being covered up?

Just curious.

2 hours ago, GMM50 said:

Just curious.

Thickness is all that should matter with ignition reliability. 

18 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

Shoots100, I tried nickel brass with the DAA moons.  Way, way too tight.  Up here most nickel brass is WIN headstamp.  I gave mine all away.

I bought a couple thousand Federal nickel brass after trying all of the available nickel brass brands.

The tighter fit of the brass in the moon clip and less space between the brass & frame = better ignition for me.

Easier extracting nickel brass and they look nice and puurty after polishing.

I do get the occasional split case every once and awhile, but its easy to find them when de-mooning.

SJC 

21 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

Shoots100, I tried nickel brass with the DAA moons.  Way, way too tight.  Up here most nickel brass is WIN headstamp.  I gave mine all away.

Thank you again ever so much.

I use Revo supply extreme clips (929) with Mike's old brass 

Works ok and then some for me!!1

22 hours ago, GMM50 said:

Just curious.

Most of the time it's the thickness of the moon clip.

Thus less headspace between the loaded round and firing pin.

Closer without bind is what I'm going for, to get positive ignition with light trigger set ups