Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Red Dot for Walther PPQ Pro 5 Match SF?

wanttolearn

I've been reading many of the posts regarding red dot sights but would sure appreciate your insight/experience.

A dear friend just received a Walther PPQ Pro 5 Match SF. It's a very nice pistol but he's having a tough time with the sights. He's worked with an opthalmologist and the glasses he has are reportedly optimized as best they could.

The pistol already has the option for a red dot sight and so we thought perhaps that might further facilitate his ability to acquire an optimal sight picture. He did well with my old C-more sight.

Seems like there are several new models of red dot sights available and we're hoping to take advantage of the upcoming black friday sales. Wondering which red dot seems to work well with this pistol. Any preferences? thank you.

Edited by wanttolearn

The Trijicon RMR Type 2 RM06,  Leupold Deltapoint Pro, and Cmore RTS2 seem to be real popular, but they all run 400$ plus. I have been using a Burris Fast Fire 3 with 8moa this season and it has run fine. I have used the same battery since July. You can find the FF3 for around 200$. 

There are two quality options. Deltapointpro or the Trijicon SRO.

I’ve run a DPP 2.5 MOA for the past two years without issue. If I were to buy another optic tomorrow, it’d be the SRO.

It’s not cheap, but so far it seems to be proving it’s mettle. Unlike the others, where you either get one that goes 10s of thousands of rounds (my DPP) or one that goes back to the factory twice a year (many other people’s RTS2s and DPPs.)

While the RMR is probably the most reliable optic out there, it's also got the smallest window, and nobody seriously competiting in our sport uses one. The SRO though should be just as reliable and has a much larger window

My compromise on price and window was the FTP Alpha 3. $375 US imported from Canada. It's been great on my Q5SF so far for 2000 rounds. I had previously used both Vortex and Burris FF3's. I prefer the FF3 over the Vortex. I just wanted a larger window but the Burris has been on my IDPA CO 1911 for 2 years now with zero failures. My Q5SF is primarily a USPSA CO gun.

Tell your friend to try a distance only single prescription when he gets a red dot. I have a set of prescription shooting glasses and I found that out by accident. My iron sight prescription makes the dot fuzzy, but the distance one cleans it right up, so now I have 2 sets of shooting glasses!

On 11/19/2019 at 3:59 PM, jdlincoln said:

My compromise on price and window was the FTP Alpha 3. $375 US imported from Canada. It's been great on my Q5SF so far for 2000 rounds. I had previously used both Vortex and Burris FF3's. I prefer the FF3 over the Vortex. I just wanted a larger window but the Burris has been on my IDPA CO 1911 for 2 years now with zero failures. My Q5SF is primarily a USPSA CO gun.

Tell your friend to try a distance only single prescription when he gets a red dot. I have a set of prescription shooting glasses and I found that out by accident. My iron sight prescription makes the dot fuzzy, but the distance one cleans it right up, so now I have 2 sets of shooting glasses!

We are glad you are enjoying your FTP Alpha 3. It gives you similar features to the Sig Max for a much friendlier price point. We now have mounts for open guns as well which you can see in the vendor forum.