Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adding weight to Magpul Glock Magazines

Icecoast

8.1.8 Non-IDPA-Legal Features and Modifications for All Divisions:

B. Add-on weights. This includes (but is not limited to) weighted magazines, tungsten guide rods, brass magazine wells, weighted grips, and weighted grip plugs.

Yet

8.2.1.2 SSP Permitted Modifications (Inclusive list):

Q. Aftermarket magazines may be used provided they do not weigh more than 1.00 oz. over the same capacity factory magazine.

R. Aftermarket magazine base pads may be used provided they do not make the magazine weight more than 1.00 oz. over the same capacity factory magazine.

S. Magazine base pads may be modified by reshaping, texturing, or adding bumper pads provided that they do not make the magazine weigh more than 1.00 oz. over the same capacity factory     

magazine.

T. Magazines that are longer than stock may be used provided they meet all other division requirements.

Onto the question:

The weight difference between factory glock magazines and the Magpul replacement magazines averages just under .17oz.

Can 0.25oz be added to the Magpul magazine in the form of lead tape under the baseplate or would that qualify as a weighted magazine?

The only issue I've run into with the Magpul mags is that they dont always drop free, but if I add a little weight to the bottom they work great.

Your own quote contains this rule:

" R. Aftermarket magazine base pads may be used provided they do not make the magazine weight more than 1.00 oz. over the same capacity factory magazine."

So if someone makes a basepad for the magpul mags you'd be fine so long as you don't weigh more than 1 oz over the same capacity factory setup when you are done.

18 hours ago, elguapo said:

Sand down all four sides until it drops

16 hours ago, jhgtyre said:

Your own quote contains this rule:

" R. Aftermarket magazine base pads may be used provided they do not make the magazine weight more than 1.00 oz. over the same capacity factory magazine."

So if someone makes a basepad for the magpul mags you'd be fine so long as you don't weigh more than 1 oz over the same capacity factory setup when you are done.

I figured these two combined would be my best option but was trying to get out of buying $20 basepads for $10 magazines.

34 minutes ago, Icecoast said:

I figured these two combined would be my best option but was trying to get out of buying $20 basepads for $10 magazines.

Yeah, I try not to think about the $$$ I spend on stuff like that because I really DON'T want try to make sense of it :)

Apex makes some pads that are a little heavier and don't quite cost $20 each ($15 maybe?)

2 hours ago, jhgtyre said:

Yeah, I try not to think about the $$$ I spend on stuff like that because I really DON'T want try to make sense of it :)

Apex makes some pads that are a little heavier and don't quite cost $20 each ($15 maybe?)

Like most hobbies, if you enjoy doing it the money is worth spending.

This was more of a "since I have the materials, do I need to spend the money?" situation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another option and I’m not sure what everyone else’s opinion on them is but I have been using a KCI mag all year for my practice sessions.It has worked flawlessly and at $8 I consider it a bargain.Only difference I have noticed between it and the factory mags is the polymer is a little softer on the KCI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk