Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Magazine Capacity

p3ordie

Hello,

I just ordered a Springfield XD-40, I'm intending on using it in a (USPSA) production Div. Can I use hi-cap mags (12rd) loaded to 10rds? In my rule book for production Div. it says: "Magazine capacity restrictions" - Yes, 10 rounds max in magazine. I'm viewing that the max capacity of the magazine is 10, I can't use 12 round magazines? I've found posts where it says ok to use hicap mags loaded down to 10.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi cap mags are fine..just load to 10..

as stated previously you can load your 1st mag to 11 and on the LAMR end up with the one in the chamber and 10 in the mag.

think this is stated in an NROI ruling on the rules page of the USPSA site.

What they said...however as an RO (and this is just a personal opinion), I don't care for folks coming to the line with a belt full of high caps "downloaded" to 10...either in Prod or L-10. No problem with that loader magazine at 11, but the rest....

Now I have to watch for that 11th or 12th shot after they've reloaded from slidelock....the potential for problems is there. As a shooter who is watching, I now pay attention to that as well. It's 10 rounds...get the reduced capacity magazines.

As a production shooter, I have a slew of both reduced and standard capacity. It has not occured to me, since the ban dropped, to switch from using the 10 rounders.

Again, just my opinion.

I generally shoot a Sig when I shoot Production. The 10 rounders simply suck, you can barely get the 10th round in and doing anything other than a slidelock reload is nearly impossible. I use my standard capacity magazines, not the formally mandated reduced cap mags.

Jim Norman

What they said...however as an RO (and this is just a personal opinion), I don't care for folks coming to the line with a belt full of high caps "downloaded" to 10...either in Prod or L-10.  No problem with that loader magazine at 11, but the rest....

Now I have to watch for that 11th or 12th shot after they've reloaded from slidelock....the potential for problems is there.  As a shooter who is watching, I now pay attention to that as well.  It's 10 rounds...get the reduced capacity magazines.

As a production shooter, I have a slew of both reduced and standard capacity.  It has not occured to me, since the ban dropped, to switch from using the 10 rounders.

Again, just my opinion.

Many of the 10rd mags, both factory and aftermarket are not exactly user friendly.

You can load your first magazine with 11 rounds.

When the buzzer goes off you have one in the chamber and 10 rounds in the magazine per rules.

Unless it's an unloaded gun start......

The crucial part is that no magazine has more than 10 rounds after the start signal. If it is a loaded gun start, load the 1st with 11, and when you chamber the round, no magazine has more that 10 after the start signal. Like Nik said, if it is an unloaded gun start, you will not chamber until after the start signal, therefore your 1st mag can only have 10.

I too shoot a Sig though I don't seem to have the problem that Jim has. I know that Glocks have this problem if the Mags are new. I have a friend who had a bunch of the 10 rounders for his 35 and they were near impossible to load with 10 until they were broken in. I've had my 229 for about 8 years now and used to shoot it a lot even before I started shooting matches. I have 2 reg capacity and 5 10 rounders. I usually use a reg capacity one to start with (-1 @ 11 since they hold 12) and the 10 rounders for subsequent loads.

A lot of people look at my 229 and ask, "isn't that thing hard to shoot?". Um, I seem to do ok with it :)

Vince

What they said...however as an RO (and this is just a personal opinion), I don't care for folks coming to the line with a belt full of high caps "downloaded" to 10...either in Prod or L-10.  No problem with that loader magazine at 11, but the rest....

Now I have to watch for that 11th or 12th shot after they've reloaded from slidelock....the potential for problems is there.  As a shooter who is watching, I now pay attention to that as well.  It's 10 rounds...get the reduced capacity magazines.

Vince,

Many ten round mags will take 11 rounds once the springs take a set ---- so if I'm running a Production or L-10 shooter, I do count shots everytime......

Some of us are organized and only load out of ammo boxes, selectiong a full row of rounds each time and emptying mags in between, but others, like me are loading out of zip-lock bags. Sooner or later, someone will make a mistake, or load 11 after the start on an unloaded gun stage.....

I use the hi caps to avoid stuffing the mag in and pounding it to seat it. The hi caps have a little extra room and make it easier to seat. The 10 rounders, you have to beat, like a second girlfriend, oops, did I saw that out loud??

Edited by Kevin

Vince,

Many ten round mags will take 11 rounds once the springs take a set ---- so if I'm running a Production or L-10 shooter, I do count shots everytime......

Interesting to hear...I've not encountered that one before.

Sorry, I don't buy the "hard to seat" or "they hurt my thumb" argument. :D:rolleyes:

(again, just my opinion!)

Edited by vluc

It was my understanding that you cannot technically have more than 10 rounds in the mag period, or you get bumped to Open.  I thought there was an interpretation or question answered in Front Sight covering this same question.

They changed it sometime after the Nats last year I believe. 10 rounds max in the mags when the buzzer goes off. Making everyone use a barney mag was dumb and time consuming. They realized it I guess.

Vince,

Sorry, I don't buy the "hard to seat" or "they hurt my thumb" argument. :D:rolleyes:

In my case, my 229 mags will not take another full round in the 10 round mags. They give a little bit, maybe 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch so that I can seat them with a full 10 rounds, but I can't force an additional round into them. My 12 rounders will only hold 12 rounds. Now I can probably modifiy the followers so that they hold 1 more round, but I'm shooting production, why bother? I generally load my ammo from a box of random ammo, much like other people use bags or what have you. I simply load till I can't and in my case, I know my 10 rounders hold 10, and my 12 rounders hold 12, I load to full on the 12's and take 1 out. I've seen the Glock mags that were difficult to seat 10 rounds into and the subsequent tap rack drills they had to do when the mags were not seated all the way in.

ymmv

Vince

Sorry, I don't buy the "hard to seat" or "they hurt my thumb" argument.  :D  :rolleyes:

I've never encountered the hard to seat thing with a nine mm full size glock and ten rounders ---- but I've encountered with the .40s and the .45s. Loading new Glock ten rounders in 9mm or .45 requires that I use a loading tool of some sort, either the Glock provided one or the HKS.......

If I were shooting a 21,22 or 35 in Production, I'd be running 13 or 15 rounders.....