Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is This Right Cleats?

Rikarin

Since I slipped and falled at a match, I have been wanting to buy cleats but waiting for a good bargain. Today, I got lucky and found a bargain. But then, there were so many different kinds....golf, basball, soccer, football etc etc and I have noooo idea the one I bought works for shooting.

Does this one works on small pebel (Richmond), dirt (Rio Salado) and such???

Thanks!!

post-5171-1127349723_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rikarin

Since I slipped and falled at a match, I have been wanting to buy cleats but waiting for a good bargain.  Today, I got lucky and found a bargain.  But then, there were so many different kinds....golf, basball, soccer, football etc etc and I have noooo idea the one I bought works for shooting. 

Does this one works on small pebel (Richmond), dirt (Rio Salado) and such???

Thanks!!

Those're baseball cleats. They should work alright, but they won't be quite as dandy as football cleats or other cleats with a more aggressive central tread pattern.

Rik,

You can probably find them at SportMart. A couple comments: I remember reading somewhere that Sharks may not be the best on wood platforms. There were a couple of stages at Area 2 2002&3 where there were platforms to run on.

Found it: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...ndpost&p=293564

(There is a lot of good stuff in that thread!)

A friend locally was using them and got too good of traction and blew out a knee at Norco using Sharks. That was probably just bad luck but it is something to think about.

I just fell for the first time Sunday at Prado. Can't blame the shoes though: Just a klutz. Uneven ground and a natural lack of grace. (The good thing is that I kept the gun on the target, got up and finished the stage, a bit slow but no mikes.!)

See ya at Rio...

I think those will work OK in dirt, but your next pair really should (IMHO) be Nike Landsharks.  You can buy at any Dick's Sporting Goods for 29.99

OOOOh, that kind of price I was talking about instead of like $70. Okie, I will look for one. Man's size 6 will probably fits.

Landshark landshark... easy to remember name for a shoe!

Football cleats are great on most surfaces (especially wet grass) the only place i don't like to use them is on a wood platform or a plank stage for example.

A good compromise is a trail shoe with an aggresive lug pattern. Until they got descontinued the nike air trigo was a great shoe. I think you can still find them on ebay. A good one i have found lately is the columbia black rock from famous footwear.

James

My experience w/ cheap cleats was that there wasn't anywhere near ample padding in the insoles, and the soles were too flexible. The net effect was that, after a day on them, I could feel the individual cleats pressing into my feet from below!! I'm not a lightweight guy, but.... It might be worth the extra money to keep your feet happy for the day.

Once I switched away from them, I noticed my fatigue level drop across a 5 stage local match - the low grade pain I was ignoring in my feet was seemingly robbing me of some of my energy through the day....

Two things:

1. I agree with XRE completely that for a big guy, a full day on aggressive widely spaced cleats can be uncomfortable and I highly recommend padded inserts.

2. For all the match directors out there, I also highly recommend rolled roofing material be applied to any walk planks, plywood decking, etc. Rolled roofing is an asphalt impregnated felt with mineral granules embedded in the top that comes in long rolls of various widths. Think huge aggressive strips of skateboard tape. You can pick it up at any of the big box home improvement stores and it can quickly be tacked down over any wooden surface. Since we know a large percentage of the competitors at large matches are going to be wearing cleats, it just makes sense to use it

John

Thanks James and others...

Weee, maybe I return the one I bought and go for agresssive patterned hiking shoes. I don't like the fact sole needs to be stiff. Hard to kneel for me. Maybe because I am small, I use feet muscle alot. I'd fee like I have cast on my feet.

Glad I have asked! Thanks! Sorry if I repoened old topic.

Another thing i forgot to mention is that trail shoes generally are more comfy than cleats ( sharks anyway) i have both.

The aggresive lugs on the air trigo's do not last as long though as they are softer , so i just wear them for shooting.

James

I think the thing to do, Rika, is try a few different things. $20-30 for a pair of cleats to try out isn't a bad investment to see if they work for you. Try out some trail shoes, too. Eventually, you'll find what works best for you - some folks use two or three different shoes, depending on the conditions.

I've ended up on the trail shoe route, for my comfort, and because, for me, I didn't really notice an advantage to cleats....

I wound up with a large bag with 4 different pairs of footwear that I take to matches.

A pair of heavy duty hiking boots for natural terrain

A pair of Nike LandSharks for sand and gravel

A pair of Addidas high top tennies for hard surfaces like boards and ramps

A pair of comfortable slip on utility shoes to wear when I am not shooting and want something comfy on

A selection is handier than one pair for everything.

--

Regards,

Now I feel better for bringing another pair to the match (usually thong) :) I am not the only one with many shoes.... but this is great prescription. Thanks Geoff.

I wound up with a large bag with 4 different pairs of footwear that I take to matches.

A pair of heavy duty hiking boots for natural terrain

A pair of Nike LandSharks for sand and gravel

A pair of Addidas high top tennies for hard surfaces like boards and ramps

A pair of comfortable slip on utility shoes to wear when I am not shooting and want something comfy on

A selection is handier than one pair for everything.

--

Regards,

I agree with Ong45 and Xre on the "hiking" or "trail" shoes, they work good and are comfortable. (They are also much easier to find in odd sizes (like large and wide or small...)

And as George said you can swap out shoes. I do that sometimes when I am ROing a match.

Next time you're at a match, check out the shooter's feet. Seems like a huge percentage are in the Nike Trigo II "light-hikers". I only put on the cleats for special conditions. Like XRe, my feet are tired by the end of the day if I wear cleats too long.

Edited by shred

I have the Nike's and really liked them, but after wearing them at major matches for almost 12 hours a day, my feet were killing me when done. I switched to the Oakley boots and love them. My dogs are no longer barking at the end of the day. They are like the most comfortable pair of running shoes Ive ever had, even the first time one. I know what everybody says about the price, but I get them a cheaper through work. Plus, I havent had any issues slipping like others said they have. I love them.