Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hk Type Ar In .223

ShooterSteve

We were at a 3gun match in Fayetteville NC this weekend and had a good time. A few of the guys there were shooting a 223 made by HK that looks just like an AR-15. These little guns were wicked bad, and I was wondering if anyone knows if HK is going to make a civillian version of them and the cost? Yea I know it will be high, but when you are blinded by love, sometimes you gotta pay!!!

http://www.hkdefense.us/pages/military-le/...ines/hk416.html

416-10__1main.jpg

. . .copied & pasted....

THE HK416 SYSTEM

Inspired by the resounding success of the mid-life improvement program of the British SA80 (L85/L86) Weapons System, Heckler & Koch began a development program to create the HK416 Enhanced Carbine. Working with current users from around the globe, HK set out to produce an Enhanced Carbine that would outperform competing 5.56mm carbines and provide the high degree of performance required by the user community, particularly those within the special operations arena who demand more and expect no compromise when lives are at stake.

High-speed video assessment and extensive live-fire testing in extreme operational environments such as the U.S. Army Desert Proving Ground in Yuma, Arizona revealed multiple areas for improvement of the 5.56 mm carbine. Improvements were made to the internal operating system and miscellaneous component parts to improve reliability in best and worse case scenarios, with all types of ammunition, with all barrel lengths and with and without sound suppressors attached.

An innovative free-floating 4-quadrant rail system designed by HK allows all current standard accessories and sights to be fitted to the HK416 and can be removed without tools. The HK-proprietary gas system does not introduce propellant gases and the associated carbon fouling back into the weapon’s interior. This reduces operator cleaning time, increases the reliability of the weapon and extends the interval between stoppages.

To improve reliability, service life, and operator safety during obstructed bore occurrences or after extreme extended firing sessions, HK has produced its famous cold hammer forged barrel for the HK416 in various lengths to include 10, 14.5, 16.5, and 20 inches.

The highest quality steel is used in this unique manufacturing process producing a barrel that provides superior accuracy for greater than 20,000 rounds with minimal degradation of accuracy and muzzle velocity.

In addition to the improvements in the baseline weapon, HK has produced a high reliability magazine and a proprietary buffer to improve functional reliability.

An add-on single shot 40 x 46mm AG416 enhanced grenade launcher module can be quickly attached to the rail system of all models without tools.

Heckler & Koch has applied its proven and fielded Safety Blank Firing Attachment and Live Round Excluder Magazine technology to the HK416 Carbine, eliminating the possibility of live rounds being loaded into and fired through a standard issue weapon outfitted for blank firing only.

A “drop-in” HK416 upper receiver module and a complete carbine are both

being offered with deliveries beginning in February 2005. The full potential of the 5.56mm carbine has now been realized with the introduction of the HK416.

Unique Features:

• Short-stroke piston gas system--

--Improved reliability

--100% function

--No fouling directed into weapon

--Less cleaning

--User removable/exchangeable components

--Insensitive to barrel length or ammunition changes

• Improved buffer system

• Improved steel magazine:

--Improved feeding reliability, durability, service life

• Refined barrel/bolt locking recesses/lugs:

--Improved function

• Improved extractor and spring, buffer:

--Improved function

• Enhanced AG-C add-on 40mm grenade launcher

• HK cold-hammer forged barrel

--Extended service life

--Improved accuracy and user safety

• HK free-floating modular rail system

Additional ongoing work:

• Improved surface finish, ambidextrous controls

• Safety Blank Firing Adapter and live round excluder magazine

• Integrated reflex sight with nested IR laser aimer and illuminator

Edited by Derek45

If you want a piston driven AR check out Dsarms.com and pof-usa.com for the POF setup. I've seen a few at Rio Salado and I think they have great potential as a 3 gun rifle. I suspect the piston driven guns have less "bounce" than similarly sized direct blowback ARs.

There are reliability advantages here since the piston keeps the soot/hot gas out at the gas block instead of dumping it in the carrier and receiver (Garand, M1A and AK do it the same way).

Other advantages?

-longlife, super hard hammer forged HK barrel. THese things last.

-buffer/spring designed to minimize "bounce"

What about "secondary vibrations" and accuracy? Look at the Armalite web site; the bullet is out of the barrel before the piston moves at all on a: M1A, Garand, AK or the new AR/HK416. This thing would be JUST as accurate as any traditional gas operated AR.

Yes those Hks are accurate, one of the guys reported 1moa at 200 yds with them during testing. I don't know what kind of optics were used. The match was won with one of these sporting an EOTech. And I do know it was the guy running the gun that won the match, and not the gun itself, but they were just way cool. It should be against the law to show a man a gun he can't have. It just ain't right.

Not to rain on the parade but the guy that won the match was shooting a JP rifle... I was one of the stage RO's and that is what he ran on my stage at least...there was at least one HK 416 there and it was muy cool though. According to the guy with the 416, HK will only sell to military or fed le, no local or state le or individuals.

AND furthermore, IMHO a well tricked out JP makes that HK look like a TEC 9 in comparison lookswise ;-)

The CTR-02 is a real thing of beauty and a real mean mutha all rolled into one. Give me a JP any day, even at twice the exhorbitant price that HK runs.

Wouldn't it be cool not to have the bolt and carrier not get covered by hot gases and carbon all the time. All I want is the 20,000 rnd barrel and the ultra cool gas system on my JP!

I'll bet that is why HK does not want the gun in civilian hands. Someone will copy the gas system and start selling it for 1/4 the price.

Scott

I have a bunch of JP stuff, won't catch me with an HK until they donate something to a prize table. Ditto for Colt.

There's nothing wrong with a company focusing on Mil/LE sales to the exclusion of marketing to peons who buy guns one at a time. There's also nothing wrong with the peons showing some support for companies that aren't too big for their britches.

The gas tube may be dirty, but it's also less reciprocating mass. Colt experimented with piston uppers decades ago and found no improvement in reliability.

I'd like to see the pentagon spend less time schmoozing with The European gun manufactures and more time looking into the 6.8mm

Getting a little off topic here, but: John wrote: "I have a bunch of JP stuff, won't catch me with an HK until they donate something to a prize table. Ditto for Colt.There's nothing wrong with a company focusing on Mil/LE sales to the exclusion of marketing to peons who buy guns one at a time. There's also nothing wrong with the peons showing some support for companies that aren't too big for their britches."

The more I think about what John wrote, the more I AGREE. If we want payback from the industry, let's make sure we are offering them something in return. Such as? Such as loyalty.

On another post, I discovered that Kimber has snubbed both USPSA and IDPA requests for prize support. Don't want to run afoul of forum rules, but I would rather spend my money on a quality gun from a USPSA Gold Sponsor like STI or SV (besides, their 1911s are better anyway). I also appreciate DPMS sponsoring a whole 3 gun match. Ever see any sort of HK rifle at a 3 gun? (I mean a real HK, not a CETME or US clone). Sell me a US made G36 or an upper for 416 and sponsor a match and I might change my tune. Until then, JP & DPMS can count on my business. How about you?

Regards,

D.C. Johnson

(moderator - feel free to split this off into another thread if appropriate)

Edited by Carlos