Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 Acp Magazine Capacity For Single Stack

revchuck

I know we can use eight rounders if we want to, just wondering if using one capacity or the other would be a significant advantage.

The thought behind my question is that one of my two 1911s goes by the moniker of "the Commander from Hell", due to its disposition. It's only reliable with seven round mags with Wolff extra power mag springs and Metalform followers. I've converted all of my mags to that configuration so that I don't have to segregate the mags for each gun. If it'd be worth the trouble, I could refit some mags to eight round capacity.

Get the 8 rounders working. The current stage design rules say that there should be no more than 9 shots from any one shooting position. 8+1 sort of sounds like the answer, doesn't it? Another way to look at it: With the 8 rounders, engage 4 targets and a slide closed reload, engage the next 4 targets, etc...

With the 7 rounders, engage 4 targets, slide lock reload, engage 3.5 targets, etc... You can be pretty sure that the .45 shooters will be using 8 rounders. A lot of people I know have had good luck with the Wilson mags.

Have Fun!

Chuck

A point of clarification here...the Commander is picky, but my Gubmint Model I think of as my "Cajun .45", because it'll eat anything. :) It works 100% with eight rounders. I was just explaining why I had all these seven rounders...I'm too lazy to have separate bags of externally identical mags. Sounds like I'll have to re-convert my formerly eight rounders back to eight rounds.

Edited by revchuck

Not to start too large a debate, but I am in the market for mags for the new blaster; I am considering:

-Wilson 47Ds or

-Chip McCormick Power Mags

The tripp "cobra mag" is not in the budget. What do you suggest? What 8 rounder works for you?

THanks,

D.C. Johnson

BTW No 10 rounder in the new S.S. division. Read the rules: www.uspsa.com

I've been using the Wilson 8-rounders since they were introduced. Hands down, the best I've ever had.

[slight drift] Oddly enough though, I prefer the CMCs when I want a 10-round mag. Dropping partially loaded mags on indoor, concrete floors tend to cause some deforming around the feed lips, resulting in mags that don't want to drop free from the gun. I've had to "adjust" Wilson Bureaucrat mags as much as 2" down the mag body to correct this. Maybe the steel is stiffer in the CMCs because I've never had to adjust them anywhere except at the very top of the magazine.

[/slight drift]

For 8 rounders I perfer the McCormick Power mags. I have both the Wilsons and McCormicks and I like both. Been shooting pretty much only singlestacks for the last couple of years and havent had a problem with either other than having to replace a couple springs in my oldest Wilsons. The McCormicks seem a little more durable.

Steve.