Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to make it softer.

RawTime

What’s up guys. I get confused easy with reloading And figure a more direct approach to my question is better in a new post. 

So my question is this: how do I make my gun softer shooting, while keeping the pf up? 

Currently I am running 7.6 gn CFE Pistol, 1.225 oal, rmr 124 hp bullets. Win small rifle primers.   the gun has a 4.5 “ barrel with 2 popples.  Cone comp. 3 ports on top. 3 on each side. Slide is fairly light, I think 8.5 oz .38 sc. The gun is pretty violent at a pf making load, so I was wondering if there are Powders that will maybe make it a little softer feeling.

sorry if I sound like an idiot, but I need help haha. Thanks 

I am trying to upload an image. So if you can help but need a picture I can email it to you or text until I figure it out. 

1 hour ago, RawTime said:

What’s up guys. I get confused easy with reloading And figure a more direct approach to my question is better in a new post. 

So my question is this: how do I make my gun softer shooting, while keeping the pf up? 

Currently I am running 7.6 gn CFE Pistol, 1.225 oal, rmr 124 hp bullets. Win small rifle primers.   the gun has a 4.5 “ barrel with 2 popples.  Cone comp. 3 ports on top. 3 on each side. Slide is fairly light, I think 8.5 oz .38 sc. The gun is pretty violent at a pf making load, so I was wondering if there are Powders that will maybe make it a little softer feeling.

I am trying to upload an image. So if you can help but need a picture I can email it to you or text until I figure it out. 

What do you mean by "get confused easy with reloading"?

19 minutes ago, RawTime said:

Just which if faster burn rates help more or less with guns with comps and popples etc. 

If you have a gun with a comp & popples, slower powders are a better bet. Slower powders mean larger charges, which make more gas to work the comp and popples. 

Soft is subjective. More gas will make the gun shoot flatter, but it won't be soft, it will hit your hand hard, generally straight back, with very little muzzle rise. Sometimes you have to increase the charge & PF to make the gun run better.

Look for powders around the burn rate of 3N38, N105, AA#7, etc. 

3 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

If you have a gun with a comp & popples, slower powders are a better bet. Slower powders mean larger charges, which make more gas to work the comp and popples. 

Soft is subjective. More gas will make the gun shoot flatter, but it won't be soft, it will hit your hand hard, generally straight back, with very little muzzle rise. Sometimes you have to increase the charge & PF to make the gun run better.

Look for powders around the burn rate of 3N38, N105, AA#7, etc. 

Thanks man I will give one of those a try

You need a heavier (longer) gun.

There's nothing wrong with your gun, if you're willing to accept the

downside to a shortie.

And, most gunsmiths won't go down that light on your slide for

fear it will crack prematurely.

But, as above, you can get some help by changing powders, but that

won't solve your two biggest problems.

12 hours ago, RawTime said:

Upload a pix from your phone to your computer from there you need to make sure you re-size the image to no larger then 2mb. Then you can upload to the forum. 

12 hours ago, RawTime said:

If you wanted soft, I think you might of went the wrong way on the build. You probably didn't need such a light slide, and a  short light barrel with holes. Really a 5" Bull barrel with no popples would of given you more weight up front, and more gas to work the comp and felt softer. Right now you're venting gas to keep the gun flat before it gets to the comp. You also need more powder to make the same PF becasue of those holes in the barrel. Your build sounds to me like it was meant to be fast and flat which means it'll be a little harder on the hands.

I don't know if a load is going to make your gun feel "soft"

3 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

If you wanted soft, I think you might of went the wrong way on the build. You probably didn't need such a light slide, and a  short light barrel with holes. Really a 5" Bull barrel with no popples would of given you more weight up front, and more gas to work the comp and felt softer. Right now you're venting gas to keep the gun flat before it gets to the comp. You also need more powder to make the same PF becasue of those holes in the barrel. Your build sounds to me like it was meant to be fast and flat which means it'll be a little harder on the hands.

I don't know if a load is going to make your gun feel "soft"

So I guess I said it wrong. The gun recoils more up. Not back into my hand. I want it flatter. Sorry for stupidity. 

4 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

You need a heavier (longer) gun.

There's nothing wrong with your gun, if you're willing to accept the

downside to a shortie.

And, most gunsmiths won't go down that light on your slide for

fear it will crack prematurely.

But, as above, you can get some help by changing powders, but that

won't solve your two biggest problems.

Yeah I left it in his hands on the build. I got it for really cheap and it was kind of a guinea pig build, which I was ok with.

But I can make the recoil impulse back into my hand and have a faster flatter gun? And take a lil more slap to the hand?, which is also ok with me. 

What weight recoil spring are you using?  With that light a slide you will probably need a 9 or 10 lb. to start.  Too light a spring lets the slide move faster and when it hits the rear it raises the muzzle.  No amount of powder tweaking will fix that.  Too heavy a recoil spring will make the muzzle dip when the slide returns to battery.  So play with spring weights to see what works best.  Then move to a lighter bullet and more slow powder.

I'm guessing by your OAL that this is a 38 Super/SC gun.  If so, 3N38 will work.  If 9mm, use AA7 or Major Pistol powder.  CFE, WAC and Silhouette are all too fast for that setup.

That's different looking, do you have any more pictures? Any video of it shooting, we could then maybe could see how bad it is.

I'm guessing 38 SC based on long oal. Have you considered trying 115's? More powder, more gas to work the comp and popples.

edit, I see you mentioned it's 38

Edited by Racinready300ex

3 minutes ago, zzt said:

What weight recoil spring are you using?  With that light a slide you will probably need a 9 or 10 lb. to start.  Too light a spring lets the slide move faster and when it hits the rear it raises the muzzle.  No amount of powder tweaking will fix that.  Too heavy a recoil spring will make the muzzle dip when the slide returns to battery.  So play with spring weights to see what works best.  Then move to a lighter bullet and more slow powder.

I'm guessing by your OAL that this is a 38 Super/SC gun.  If so, 3N38 will work.  If 9mm, use AA7 or Major Pistol powder.  CFE, WAC and Silhouette are all too fast for that setup.

He said he used a 12 I am getting an 8-11 to test out. And bummer hha I have like 8k 124 g bullets haha 

3 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

That's different looking, do you have any more pictures? Any video of it shooting, we could then maybe could see how bad it is.

I'm guessing 38 SC based on long oal. Have you considered trying 115's? More powder, more gas to work the comp and popples.

edit, I see you mentioned it's 38

Yeah definitely different. I love the gun. But just want it to be a lil nicer to shoot haha. 

3 hours ago, RawTime said:

bummer, I have   8k  124 g bullets haha 

Well, that's good for 3 months - THEN try the 115's -  just might help you out.    :) 

I would LOVE    💓    to see that gun in action - as Racinready mentioned.  Is it accurate ?

3 hours ago, RawTime said:

And bummer hha I have like 8k 124 g bullets haha

So try them with a very slow powder.  If that doesn't work, switch to 115s and use the 124s for minor.