Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Trijicon SRO cut for Tanfoglio

CarlB86

Nice! 

How wide is the screw spacing?  I thought the holes are going to be on the edge of the Tanfo slide for the SRO/RMR footprint.

Does the SRO housing cover the extractor pin? E.g. do you have to take the SRO off the slide if you need to clean the extractor?

How many rounds can the extractor work correctly without detail strip cleaning (assuming you put on an extra power extractor spring)?  It can still be cleaned somewhat from the FP channel.  I have had close to 5k without taking the extractor out to clean.  If it can last 20k, I'd say the trouble is worth it. 

12 hours ago, tedahlenius85 said:

Carl, is the fp pin in use after this cut? If so, can you post a photo of it to see how much they needed to cut off it?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

I didn't adjust it and it seems to be ok. Will hit the range soon and test.

Serious question: Am I the only one bothered by the burrs in the front slide cuts? As a machinist, those stand out like a sore thumb to me, and I'd notice/feel them every time I used the gun. To me they indicate the person who did the work skipped the deburring step to save time, but deburring should always be part of the job. But maybe it's not noticeable to the rest of you guys? 

1 hour ago, Yondering said:

Serious question: Am I the only one bothered by the burrs in the front slide cuts? As a machinist, those stand out like a sore thumb to me, and I'd notice/feel them every time I used the gun. To me they indicate the person who did the work skipped the deburring step to save time, but deburring should always be part of the job. But maybe it's not noticeable to the rest of you guys? 

I didn't notice anything myself, but if I look for it after you pointed it out I can see it. Doesn't bother me enough to clean-up.

On 8/26/2019 at 3:51 AM, tedahlenius85 said:

Carl, is the fp pin in use after this cut? If so, can you post a photo of it to see how much they needed to cut off it?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Ok, so the firing pin did need to be cut, also the depth of the hole for the spring deepened, since it was too shallow after removing material. Causing the spring to bind. I'm traveling, but will post some pictures ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty cool set up, are they going to offer this from here out? I just found a Stock 2 on my local armslist and this would be a fun project.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I believe Scott at Impact Machine will be offering these for Tanfoglio. I'm the test subject and will be putting more rounds through it, but so far no issues. Just send him a message or call. I'm not sure if a Stock II needs lightening cuts to make weight.

On 10/8/2019 at 11:41 AM, CarlB86 said:

I believe Scott at Impact Machine will be offering these for Tanfoglio. I'm the test subject and will be putting more rounds through it, but so far no issues. Just send him a message or call. I'm not sure if a Stock II needs lightening cuts to make weight.

Carl, you really got me wanting to do this.

On 8/26/2019 at 2:17 PM, Dazhi said:

How many rounds can the extractor work correctly without detail strip cleaning (assuming you put on an extra power extractor spring)?  It can still be cleaned somewhat from the FP channel.  I have had close to 5k without taking the extractor out to clean.  If it can last 20k, I'd say the trouble is worth it. 

5K is about the point where I have a ftf and then pull the extractor and clean it. Maybe there is a way to stretch the interval. I was surprised that changing from a dirty powder (titegroup) to a clean powder (sport pistol) did not seem to change the interval. 

Is there any reason to choose a trijicon over a Leopold ? My assumption is the latter wouldn't hang so far forward. 

Less prone to break, better dot options, nice round window, most common optic mounting footprint. Someone might prefer the DPP which is a valid option.

Removing the optic once a year to clean and rezero is my current plan. I generally can make it without a detail strip of the extractor in that 10k-12k range.

I do use a small pin sized scraper to get build up off it and surrounding area after 2-3k.

Edited by CarlB86

7 hours ago, CarlB86 said:

Less prone to break, better dot options, nice round window, most common optic mounting footprint. Someone might prefer the DPP which is a valid option.

Removing the optic once a year to clean and rezero is my current plan. I generally can make it without a detail strip of the extractor in that 10k-12k range.

I do use a small pin sized scraper to get build up off it and surrounding area after 2-3k.

Good info. Do you know if there is any data that says they are less prone to break or is this a perception? Would like to find most reliable if there is such a thing, seems like what I find is threads saying all of them break.