Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry optics dot

jeremy kemlo

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Wrecks said:

Romeo 3 would look pretty ridiculous on an S2, it's pretty wide.

Are you sure about that? The DPP is almost identical in footprint width as the Romeo3. Within 1/16” from my measurements and specs that I’ve gotten from the manufacturers.

If you’re talking about max width period, the window on the SRO is exactly the same width as the original Romeo3 (25mm) and 5mm narrower than the R3Max (30mm)

Photos attached for reference.

4326C796-A152-4479-A58D-89D4F7FBF32B.jpeg

332758DE-23D8-4FF7-8BD3-C95D1B1363C7.jpeg

1 hour ago, race1911 said:

Red_Dot....is that top picture a Romeo 3 on a Shadow 2  and the bottom pic a Romeo3 MAX ?....thanks

Top is a DPP on a Shadow2

Bottom is a Romeo3 on a Bull Shadow

Both overhang the slide a fair bit when directly mounted.

5 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

There's no reason to use anything other than the SRO anymore. It's simply easier and faster to pick up. SRO's aren't having to be sent back to the factory on a 3-4 piece rotation constantly either.  

The romeo 3 max widow is bigger than the sro so it would be easier and faster than the sro. We will see about the durability.

Just now, jeremy kemlo said:

The romeo 3 max widow is bigger than the sro so it would be easier and faster than the sro. We will see about the durability.

It’s wider, not taller. Both are 25mm tall for all intents and purposes. From my experience, the width is far less important that the height. With a proper grip and decently consistent mechanics, the dot will rarely be at the outer edges of the window. I’m far more likely to present with up and down variability than left and right.

3 minutes ago, jeremy kemlo said:

Does one sit higher than the other? Base thicker

I don’t have a good picture of the DPP from the front but the R3 sits pretty damn low all things considered. And the window height dimension is noticeably bigger.

if I had actually considered it, I probably would have milled the Shadow2 for the R3 instead of the DPP because in reality, I can still put a DPP on the R3 mounting location but not the other way around

C70D82DF-56ED-4097-B1E4-650B0B37039C.jpeg

46 minutes ago, Red_Dot said:

It’s wider, not taller. Both are 25mm tall for all intents and purposes. From my experience, the width is far less important that the height. With a proper grip and decently consistent mechanics, the dot will rarely be at the outer edges of the window. I’m far more likely to present with up and down variability than left and right.

I see you went with the romeo max on your shadow build. Do you like it better than the sro?

6 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

There's no reason to use anything other than the SRO anymore. It's simply easier and faster to pick up. SRO's aren't having to be sent back to the factory on a 3-4 piece rotation constantly either.  

What dot size?

3 minutes ago, jeremy kemlo said:

I see you went with the romeo max on your shadow build. Do you like it better than the sro?

No, it’s a normal Romeo3, not the max. No way would I pay an additional ~$400 for 5mm of window width and a black color.

6 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

SRO's aren't having to be sent back to the factory on a 3-4 piece rotation constantly either.  

This is laughable, that is like saying the new car you picked up last month is awesome as it hasn't needed any repairs like your 2015 with 100k miles.

Edited by Chili

Just now, Chili said:

This is laughable, that is like saying the new car you picked up last month is awesome as it hasn't hasn't needed any repairs like your 2015 with 100k miles.

No, it's like saying DPP's with ~800, 1200 and ~2000 rounds were going back. 

Another option for a dot similar in features to the Romeo 3 Max would be the FTP Shooting Sports Alpha 3 Optic, I've been using the Alpha 2 Optics for over a year on both CO and Open guns and will be adding an Alpha 3 in the near future if my replacement DVC Open ever arrives.  Check out this thread for some details 

18 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

hey buy the SRO and sell ur others, I need a reddot for a mount , not slide ride. seems most of these last forever on a frame mount, its just the slide mount that is the issue

apparently the SRO is built with the same electronics and material design and was built to take the same G-forces that the venerable RMR2 is known for as far as dependability.....probably the most dependable mini red dot you can have on a slide-mounted handgun........drop test it cannot compete with it due to the round hood design vs the RMR2 "bat wing" design, although most handgun drops do not occur from shoulder height, slide downwards with direct impact on the dot on concrete......for normal "once in a blue moon" competition gun drops it should survive perfectly

Edited by race1911

1 hour ago, Red_Dot said:

I  saw a post that listed the window sizes of all the popular mini red dots dpp was 25.7x17.5,  sro was 25x22.5 and romeo max was 30x24

34 minutes ago, jeremy kemlo said:

I guess  that is too close to tell the difference

I agree with that. I’m still so perplexed how so many people are looking at the Romeo3MAX but I’ve very very rarely seen anyone talk about the original Romeo3 on a pistol.