Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WST and 9mm

ExStreetWalker

Thanks guys.  Power factor isn't a problem as I only shoot club matches and we're looking for holes on the target and nothing more.  I'll start at 4.0 and work up.

I know it's reverse temperature sensitive and that doesn't bother me.

Why do I want to use WST?  I have around 20 lbs of the stuff I got for $10 a lb and I'm not shooting that much .45 ACP now.  4 gr happens to be the charge I use in .45 ACP too.

4 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I saw 132 in the summer and 136ish in the winter IIRC. Is that anywhere near where you were at?

My results were similar, to me it's a non-issue.

To each their own...

4.1grs WST Bayou 125 RN, 1.150 (gone as short as 1.120 when playing with tanfo's))

132PF summer time matches, chrono'd last winter at about 135 in 30degree weather.

Honestly no noticeable change in POI at 20yds.

I shoot the stuff all the time.  Like others have said I have a bunch of it so I'm using it.

I like it in 9, 40 and 45 just work your load up in the summer so you don't go sub minor and your all set.

My pf difference was 6. As I load to 130pf that's not something I liked. 

I'm not saying it's horrible but rather there are choices with fewer issues. Heck I even used E3 for a full year, so I'm not averse to shotgun powders for pistol loads.

147 round nose blue bullet:   1.125 OAL.  CCI primer.  3.6 WST.   Temperature:  85 F.   PF 134.  SD 11.4

135 cone point blue bullet:  1.135 OAL.  CCU primer. 3.9 WST.  Temperature:  85 f.  PF 134  SD 17.1

Both out of an M&P Pro with an Apex barrel.  Just chrono graphed this past weekend.  

• 2 weeks later...

I don't recall my WST 9mm loads being compressed much, if at all, but it has worked fine, especially under heavier bullets. I normally burn Sport Pistol and have noticed that I often have a similar volume of each powder (I use a Lee Auto-Disk so I notice the disk cavity sizes), although the WST charge weighs more for a similar PF.

I'd definitely stock up on WST at $10/lb, especially since I like to shoot heavier bullets (124+).