Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WST and 9mm

ExStreetWalker

I've read the many threads on using WST in the 9mm and pretty much know it will work.  However I see that almost any load is going to end up compressing the powder.  

I just want to double check and know this is normal.

I only use it in 40 major. just went on hodgdon website and they don't even list 9mm under bullet calibers when you choose WST. Only 38 special, 40 & 45 showing.

I'd stay with a faster powder such as Titegroup or 700-x. I use 4.0 grains in my M&P 5 inch CORE of either powder at 1.145 which gives me 135-139pf. I like the snap as my gun is ready to fire before I'm back on the trigger. Also, doesn't feel too much different from my 40 major loads either

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

dont remember the charge, but loaded quite a bit of 135 gr cast bullets in 9mm for my Hipowers when I started in IDPA.. woulda been around 130 pf. Dont recall any issues, started light and worked up with a chrono.

Loaded many thousands of SNS 147 RN over 3.6 of WST. OAL of 1.150 and a PF of 132-136 depending on the gun and temperature. Keep in mind that WST is inverse temp sensitive. It will get slower as it gets warmer, so chrono them after they sit on your dashboard in the sun for a while to be sure they make PF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, ExStreetWalker said:

The charge I'm looking at is 4.6 gr, under a 125 gr RNFP from a MP mold.

This is going to cause a compressed load.

Is compression with WST bad?

Many powders are fine with compression. 

I never worry about compressed pistol loads...

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-education/reloading-beginners/compressed-loads

Compressed Loads

Normally a pistol or rifle shellcase is considered full, or 100% loading density, when the powder charge sits at the base of the bullet when the bullet is fully seated. It is possible with some powders and cartridges to increase the powder charge slightly above this point, such that when the bullet is seated it actually compresses the powder charge slightly. This condition is known as a compressed load.

Hodgdon notes in its reloading data if the subject charge is a compressed load. A full case, or lightly compressed charge is an ideal condition for creating loads with the most uniform velocities and pressures, and oftentimes, producing top accuracy

Edited by 4n2t0

On 8/10/2019 at 9:17 AM, ExStreetWalker said:

I see that almost any load is going to end up compressing the powder.

The charge I'm looking at is 4.6 gr, under a 125 gr RNFP from a MP mold.  This is going to cause a compressed load.

May depend on the OAL/COL used.  To be sure, do some case fill calculations to see if you are going to end up with a compressed load - https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/wst-in-9mm.854647/#post-11199933

I measured several 9mm RMR 124 gr FMJ RN and longer bullets measure .598"

So using OAL/COL of 1.135", my max case fill is:

OAL - Bullet length = 1.135" - .598" = .537"

I measured some resized WIN cases and I got .747" as average resized case length.

So I subtract max case fill from average resized case length and I get .747" - .537" = .210"

I used the end of my dial calipers to mark the inside of the case and filled it with WST to mark and weighed the charge - 4.6 gr.

So for .598" length 124 gr RN bullet loaded to 1.135" OAL, max charge of WST before powder compression is 4.6 gr.

This is in line with what CocoBolo posted who I follow -  

Edited by kks
Attached link to CocoBolo's post

3 hours ago, ExStreetWalker said:

The charge I'm looking at is 4.6 gr, under a 125 gr RNFP from a MP mold.

This is going to cause a compressed load.

For minor 9mm ? You need to keep looking that is what I use under a 180 for MAJOR in a 40.
I went to WST because it takes up alot of room in the case,, yeh 4.2 in a 9mm case under a 124 at normal OAL is pretty full.

Edited by Joe4d

1 minute ago, 4n2t0 said:

Why?

Because he's spending to much time worrying about it and fooling around. Couple that with its temperature issues and I'd move on. Stop forcing something to work and choose a different option. I'd rather loose 25 dollars by never using the pound of powder than deal with one that raises so many issues before you've even loaded it.

2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Because he's spending to much time worrying about it and fooling around. Couple that with its temperature issues and I'd move on. Stop forcing something to work and choose a different option. I'd rather loose 25 dollars by never using the pound of powder than deal with one that raises so many issues before you've even loaded it.

Have you ever loaded WST in 9mm? I agree that he's worrying too much but that isn't the powders fault. Load the case with powder and shoot. WST in 9mm isn't ground breaking stuff, especially when paired with a 124gr bullet.

P.S. Inverse temperature sensitivity is usually a good thing.

Edited by 4n2t0

I like WST in 9mm a lot. Cheap, easy to find, no dirtier than average, and it meters well.

I like inverse temp sensitive powders because it’s over 90 for most of my match season. So  after shooting it on a hot day? I know that ammo will only gain velocity if I go to a match up north in the fall.

I’ve loaded it beneath a 124 FMJ and a 135 coated, as seen here:

0BEA5A85-D6F1-49E6-AD86-B53907CCAE12.jpeg

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Yes I have loaded 4lbs of wst into 9mm and 1lb for 40 major. Where I live in the south we shoot year round, from 25f to 100f. 

I never had a compressed load with 147 9mm or my 40 loads. But I had a summer load and a winter load with how much my fps changed. That alone made it not worth it when there are other choices.

39 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Yes I have loaded 4lbs of wst into 9mm and 1lb for 40 major ... But I had a summer load and a winter load with how much my fps changed. That alone made it not worth it when there are other choices.

I agree that there are many other good choices.