Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.356 bullets for 9mm

ghost21

Got a question concerning some .356 bullets I have , They were originally for 38 super, But now that I do not have the super anymore, I'm wanting to use them in 9mm !

My question is, Will I have any worries with the diameter being .356, When 9mm is .355? I'm 95% sure, That I know the answer, But wanted to ask here and see what pros and cons there were to using this bullet in 9mm.

BTW the load will be for a G17, suppressed and will be loaded to subsonic levels. also these bullets are FMJ and not plated 130gr!

Thanks for all and any info

Jeff

5 hours ago, 223to45 said:

356 will be fine.

A lot of bullet for reloading are 356.

I run 357.

Several guys here run 358.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Don't confuse jacketed and cast bullet size choices, each have different requirements.

.356" as the OP asks about is fine, and even .357" jacketed bullets are usually acceptable if you work up the load carefully. Expect more pressure for a given powder charge with .357" bullets. Also keep in mind that some 9mm bores are larger than .355" especially in the european guns,  .356" is common and some are .357"; one of my Austrian Glock 19 barrels is like that. 

I've never heard of anyone using .358" jacketed bullets in 9mm though, partly because the options are almost non-existent; other than maybe some obscure exception, .358" jacketed bullets are almost exclusively rifle bullets and are too long to fit a 9mm case. .358" is a good size for cast bullets, but that does not translate to jacketed bullets.

• 1 year later...

I have a BUNCH of Star Ammunition 38 cal. 100 gr. hollow-base-wadcutter bullets . Can I use these bullets to reload for my Kel Tek Sob 2000, 9mm carbine ?  If so, what powder would be best ?  Lower and Upper limits ?  Thanks loads !!!

100 grains would work nice in 9 mm.  According to the Lyman Pistol & Revolver Reloading Handbook you can start with 4.0 grains of Bullseye for 976 fps u to 5.0 and 1263.  Unique would be 4.5 grains 931 pfs to 5.6 grains for 1256.