Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster Cant

b1indfire

I did a search on the forums, but didn't see any topics about holster cant, so apologies in advance if this has been mentioned before.

Setup: DAA belt with Boss Hanger and a Kydex holster.

When I put on my belt, the boss hanger pushes against my thigh, resulting in an inwards cant of the firearm. In other words, the grip of the gun is angled inwards towards my body.

As a result, when I go to draw, one of two things happens. Either I tilt my upper body to the left to align my torso with the holster and get a smooth draw, or I pull straight up and the holster will flip outwards a bit before I overcome friction, resulting in not only an uncomfortable draw, but a much rougher draw in general.

Have you guys experienced this, and what can I do to fix it?

Thanks!

Rubber fuel line works well depending on screw size and is less likely to collapse vs o rings 

learned that years ago with a Safariland 007 and a Highlander plate system 

don’t forget your blue Loctite when you finally get it where you want it 

14 hours ago, b1indfire said:

Would I put those between the hanger and the holster or the hanger and the belt attachment piece?

Also, would that not mess up the screw threads?

I have a larger spacer at the top than the bottom... between the two pieces of the boss system.  not hugely different in length, but enough to remedy the problem you are mentioning.  It hasnt boogered the threads or anything.

I take the other approach on my idpa holsters by putting a larger rubber spacer at the top of the teklok (or whatever) than the bottom to give me a little more room to work.  Both methods seem to work fine.

Edited by tha1000

I installed a medium-sized drawer pull at the bottom of my BOSS hanger to keep it parallel to my body and prevent it from digging into my leg. I spray painted it black since the drawer pull was made of wood. I bought it from Home Depot for about $2 for a package of 2.

Heres a couple of pics:

18-FE48-D7-DB3-C-4406-BAD4-52-AE122-B3-E

CA8-D3-ABE-529-B-4-CBE-A725-3-DBE80712-D

You can can also use the smaller drawer pull if that fits you better. I recommend trying both sizes and see which fits you better.

3 hours ago, Nathanb said:

Do you get any bruising from that?  I’d expect to have a nasty bruise if I tried it. 

Nope. No bruising at all even with walking around all day with it. Keep in mind all the weight of the gun, holster and hanger is not bearing down on that drawer pull. 

I have one of aandabook’s hanger which is based on the BOSS but the main difference is the longer length of the long rectangular piece. It actually extends a little bit past the Y plate. A lot cheaper too.

Aandabook holster hanger

Edited by George16

So I've been practicing my draw almost every night since making my thread, and I've noticed a few things but no "magic bullet" yet.

1) If my holster side foot is too far back, the problem is worse

2) It's more of a problem if I am standing straight up vs. taking a more aggressive "weight on the balls of the feet" stance

3) Loosening the tension screws helped but didn't solve everything

4) Switching my shorts helped a little bit

Last night I actually tied the hanger to my leg with a piece of paracord. Worked awesome! But it's impractical haha. I have long arms so I think at least some of the issue with my draw stroke is that I'm just not anatomically prone to not pulling straight up -- I can do it if I go nice and slow but it isn't natural feeling and I am towards the end of my range of motion in terms of shoulder flexibility.

I'm debating attaching a piece of velcro to a pair of pants and the hanger to help hold it down 

13 hours ago, b1indfire said:

@thormx538 I'm having the same problem as you but I think it's less pronounced. I have yet to get my hands on some spare fuel line, but I think that's my first step.

Have you tried tilting your upper body to the left when you draw?

Not intentionally. I'll try tonight. I have a match tomorrow so I was going to practice draws/dry fire tonight anyways.