Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another Serpa style holster anecdote

perttime

On Saturday, a competitor at the Finnish "Shooting sports for Reservist Associations", or "Military 3-Gun" Nationals shot himself in a lower extremity, while drawing his pistol.

Apparently the competitor was experienced.

No video or images have been posted.

The competitor was surrounded by people with up to date first aid skills and kits, and was rushed to a hospital after being stabilized. As of Sunday, he was doing relatively OK.

The holster?

Not Serpa but another design with index finger release: Dasta 720 SLB:

dasta-720-dlb.jpg

5 minutes ago, davsco said:

prob one of the most prevalent holsters out there.  statistically the incidence of being an idiot with a serpa prob isn't much different than any other holster.

You act like you find this design to be any kind of a good idea.

This one looks to position the finger right over the opening in the triggerguard while applying pressure to the button.

At least the SERPAs make an attempt to get your trigger finger up over the side of the frame where it belongs.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

55 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

You act like you find this design to be any kind of a good idea.

LOL. I showed my wife the post and explained the design. She knows nothing about holsters or guns and simply said,” that’s just dumb”. 😂

Those contests usually have you using just one gun on each stage. This one had rifle and pistol. He had just put down his rifle, as required in the stage description,  and was going to engage the pistol targets.

No further details have been published. I'm pretty sure some sort of "lessons learned" will be released.

The good thing is: he clearly got competent first aid immediately.

• 3 weeks later...

The cause of this accident has been determined. The finger was not on the trigger.

- The competitor had a cocked and locked CZ 75 SP01 Shadow, with a red dot on the slide, in a Dasta 720 DLB holster that had a slot cut for the red dot.

- He was running to the pistol shooting position, with his hand on the pistol butt. Then he jumped into a depression in the ground (sort of foxhole), and the pistol went off while still firmly in the holster.

- 7mm of forward and back movement of the pistol in the holster allowed the safety to move to the "fire" position.

- During the natural arm movement during the jump, the holster allowed the pistol to come up about 6mm and twist so that the trigger snagged on a part of the release mechanism.

- When he landed, the pistol went downwards, with the trigger snagged on the mechanism.

- Boom.

This has been repeated, using holsters with, and without, the red dot cut.

You might be able to view a demo at https://resul.fi/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Vahinkolaukaus_20072019.mp4

It goes pretty quickly when the guy shakes the pistol and simulates the jump. I had to watch it a few times before I saw where the hammer went down.

2 hours ago, perttime said:

The cause of this accident has been determined. The finger was not on the trigger.

- The competitor had a cocked and locked CZ 75 SP01 Shadow, with a red dot on the slide, in a Dasta 720 DLB holster that had a slot cut for the red dot.

- He was running to the pistol shooting position, with his hand on the pistol butt. Then he jumped into a depression in the ground (sort of foxhole), and the pistol went off while still firmly in the holster.

- 7mm of forward and back movement of the pistol in the holster allowed the safety to move to the "fire" position.

- During the natural arm movement during the jump, the holster allowed the pistol to come up about 6mm and twist so that the trigger snagged on a part of the release mechanism.

- When he landed, the pistol went downwards, with the trigger snagged on the mechanism.

- Boom.

You might be able to view a demo at https://resul.fi/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Vahinkolaukaus_20072019.mp4

It goes pretty quickly when the guy shakes the pistol and simulates the jump. I had to watch it a few times before I saw where the hammer went down.

Unsafe holster. Crocks? Really!!:eatdrink:

5 hours ago, perttime said:

- Boom.

Saw it first time, but you had told us it was fast. Crazy 😜

3 hours ago, Sarge said:

... Crocks? Really!!:eatdrink:

The place looks too civilized for any shooting range I've seen in recent years. I bet the demo was done in his garden. 🎥

16 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

This is why you man up and run the gun in DA mode. That trigger press ain’t that hard, son. ;) 

(Oh and also... just maybe buy a better fitting holster.)

It is a competition. You do what appears to be fastest, while staying within The Rules...

The organizing body has banned that holster model, effective immediately. While they were at it, they gave people with Serpas and similar a few months to get something else.

Apparently, he wasn't the only one with that holster model. Many are crying "UNFAIR!!! Mine doesn't have any slack!"

Edited by perttime

5 hours ago, terrydoc said:

And that's why IPSC have prohibited the use of this type of holster in competition now 

I believe IPSC banned Serpas because they direct your finger to the trigger.

In this case, there was no finger on the trigger.

I agree that holsters with trigger finger releases are a bad idea.

Found some video of the contest, and even that stage, before it was shut down. The movement and "jump" don't look all that strenuous.

First person view:

Third person and first person views starting at 16:12: