Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 not picking up primers?

- Replace the primer tube tip (blue?)

- Make sure primer magazine tube nut is not tight, screw it down to where it just starts to touch.

- Make sure the primer tube is clean.

- If you havent already, put a 45 case only (no additional weight is needed) on top of the primer rod.

- Make sure the primer shuttle area is clean.

- Make sure the white plastic case guide is not too tight. Should be a business card's thickness between it and the case.

- Make sure the brass guide on the primer shuttle is not worn. This is where the primer arm pulls the shuttle back.

- Make sure the primer arm is properly adjusted, business card's thickness between the tip and the press (primer shuttle track).

Hi Greg, thanks! I have done all of the above and still having the problem of not primer shuttle, not picking up a primer on 1 or 2 out of a 100. I will recheck all of the above!! and I will replace the blue tip again.  JD

50 minutes ago, JDIllon said:

Hi Greg, thanks! I have done all of the above and still having the problem of not primer shuttle, not picking up a primer on 1 or 2 out of a 100. I will recheck all of the above!! and I will replace the blue tip again.  JD

What primers?  When you load the tubes are one or two of them sticking and not going in like the rest?  Could be one or two out of round ones are getting hung up.  Replacing the blue tip as almost always fixed it for me.

Also, might pull the primer mag tube nut and take a flashlight and mirror to see if the assembly is properly aligned over the primer hole in the shuttle.  IIRC, it needs to be a little forward of the hole in the shuttle to allow the primer to rock into the shuttle.

OK, I have gone thru it all again!! and it seems to be working OK now. I did change out the Blue tip even though it looked OK!! but that seems to have made the difference. Just curious, how often do you guys change the Blue tip??? JD

• 2 months later...

Loaded my first 200 rounds on a "new to me" Super 1050.  It is virtually new with less than 1K rounds loaded.  The first 200 were great.  Now it's all jammed up in the primer area.  I took it apart and put it back together.  Worked for about 10 rounds and jammed again.  

My reloading advisor is at Nats.  It will just sit as it is, until he arrives..........

On 9/20/2019 at 6:59 PM, RangerTrace said:

Loaded my first 200 rounds on a "new to me" Super 1050.  It is virtually new with less than 1K rounds loaded.  The first 200 were great.  Now it's all jammed up in the primer area.  I took it apart and put it back together.  Worked for about 10 rounds and jammed again.  

My reloading advisor is at Nats.  It will just sit as it is, until he arrives..........

1. make sure the nut on the top of the primer magazine tube is barely finger tight.  It should just begin to touch the tube.

2. empty the primer magazine tube, and check the blue tip at the bottom of the primer mag tube.  Replace it anyway.  These are a disposable commodity.  

Make sure that the primer indexing arm assembly did not get pushed up where it clamps around the primer shield. This can happen if the spring-loaded camming channel gets stuck, then the index bolt hits the bottom of it instead of entering the camming slot. The bottom of the primer index arm should almost drag in the primer slide channel. 

On older 1050s, prior to the brass roller on the rear of the primer slide, they have a steel roll pin with a rubber sleeve over it. Eventually the rubber sleeve wears or tears. Replace it with a short piece of 1/8" automotive vacuum hose.

15 minutes ago, dillon said:

On older 1050s, prior to the brass roller on the rear of the primer slide, they have a steel roll pin with a rubber sleeve over it. Eventually the rubber sleeve wears or tears. Replace it with a short piece of 1/8" automotive vacuum hose.

Well, now I know the press I bought used is an “older” 1050.

I tore it down and cleaned it and did exactly what you suggested in order to replace the worn rubber.

Approximately how long ago did the switch to a brass roller occur?

I’ve considered looking into rebuilding/overhauling the priming system even though it runs flawlessly due to the unknown mileage. This is probably an upgrade I should consider.

I think the reason for going with a plastic tip is so that there is some sort of give should a jam be encountered.  I'd rather have a primer get stuck in the blue plastic tip (which happens unfortunately) rather than jam up and possibly ignite my whole stack of primers.

I have had a few 1050s for quite some time with no issues with the blue tip, from my experience I think the majority of the people along with a few of my friends issues with the ”Bluetip” is because they over tighten the the top of the tube magazine nut that the low primer sensor sits on. Just finger tight is all it needs to be and that is a loose finger tight. Just my two cents...

Mine is just barely finger tightened and I still get the occasional primer stuck in the blue tip.  Maybe I need to lengthen the pause on the upstroke to give the primer a little more time to actually seat itself in the primer slide..... dunno

6 hours ago, V2plus25 said:

Mine is just barely finger tightened and I still get the occasional primer stuck in the blue tip.  Maybe I need to lengthen the pause on the upstroke to give the primer a little more time to actually seat itself in the primer slide..... dunno

This is what GmanBart said was his fix.  Adding a shim in front of the primer shuttle stop, to give it a bit more travel.  Lee Neel also says to use a 650 primer magazine with the brass tip instead of the blue tip.  I tried both of those at first with virtually no success.  

2 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

This is what GmanBart said was his fix.  Adding a shim in front of the primer shuttle stop, to give it a bit more travel.  Lee Neel also says to use a 650 primer magazine with the brass tip instead of the blue tip.  I tried both of those at first with virtually no success.  

After loading waaaay too many rounds this week I finally found what was causing my primer issues.  Assuming you've tried and fixed everything GregJ mentioned above, there's one more thing to check.

If you aren't very careful when filling the powder hopper, I'm willing to bet there are some flecks of powder that make it down the primer tube.  That would explain how primers are getting caught in the blue tip and then kicked out the bottom of the primer slide.  That's definitely been happening to me since my primer issues don't pop up till after I refill the powder hopper.