Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Elftmann PCC trigger problems

I installed the new Eftmann PCC 9mm trigger in my build and am having intermittent failure to reset. It can happen after one round or after several. This happens with all mags. I followed the install directions to a T and even removed it and reinstalled it again making sure tension on both screws was even and tight. No dice. Tried a DD milspec trigger and it runs like a champ. I have sent an email to Elftmann but have not heard back yet. After doing some research, this seems to be a common issue. Anyone with this issue get it resolved?

Here is the build:

Quentin Defense ARQ 9 receiver set

JP short stroke bolt and SCS short stroke buffer

Edited by dthomas1003

Elftmann sent a new trigger to my buddy when he had the same problem but it didn’t fix it either. He sold it off and uses a Timney Calvin Elite now. Unfortunately that trigger has broken twice so I suggested he go with the Hiperfire 24c like I’ve been running without issue for two years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would use the jp ez trigger if I was running a jp bolt. I have several guys at my range that that run jp bolts and had issues with hyperfire's not resetting also. The jp trigger is guaranteed by jp to work with their bolt. I run the ez trigger  now and love it. Probably have 5000 rounds shot with it and 0 malfunctions. 

The issue with triggers not resetting is the pcc bolts aren't all made the same. Some don't have a tall enough hammer cocking area to reset certain triggers. I have found that the Brownells bolt and the Lead Star arms will run any trigger that I have tried. I have also read that the taccom bolt has worked well with most triggers out there but I don't have personal experience like the other two I mentioned. 

Edited by Mac-pcc

I did some more testing yesterday and today. Yesterday I was using new Glcok 31rd mags with TTI +10 extensions with the milspec trigger group in. It absolutely would not feed the first 10 rds but then would run fine after. It would slam the round into the bottom of the barrel, locking everything up and causing severe setback of the projectile. 

Thinking the mass of the buffer and the bolt was too heavy and dragging, they weighed just a touch over 22oz together, I swapped out the buffer. I used what I had on hand, an H3 buffer, carbine spring, and quarters. It ran and those Glock mags fed perfectly. Put the Elftmann trigger back in and it ran as it should too. Was not ideal, horrendous dot bounce but it proved my theory of too heavy was correct. 

In the end, the Elftmann trigger does work. But it will not work correctly if the buffer is too heavy and that of course lead to an additional feeding problem. I'll be contacting JP on Monday and swapping out this heavy, short stroke SCS buffer for a lighter one. 

Hopefully this helps someone else out that is experiencing the same sort of issues. 

One thing I forgot to mention is the ammo I was using. I was using 124gr Speer Lawman and 124gr Speer Gold Dot +P ammo. Both had the same failures. 

Edited by dthomas1003
On 7/5/2019 at 3:51 PM, Startingover said:

The weight thing has me thinking 

Because I am now running the HD Blitzkrieg buffer with the extra additional weight in front of it.

I would recommend looking at that. I ran this PCC yesterday in a 156rd Level 1 match and it was flawless without a single malfunction. The Efl trigger was awesome. 

Another update

Tested a X bolt that weighed in at 7.5oz and it was a no go, hammer was following in the ELF trigger. This was with the standard carbine spring. It's appearing to me that the JP short stroke bolt really likes a light buffer system. 

20 minutes ago, dthomas1003 said:

Another update

Tested a X bolt that weighed in at 7.5oz and it was a no go, hammer was following in the ELF trigger. This was with the standard carbine spring. It's appearing to me that the JP short stroke bolt really likes a light buffer system. 

I wouldn't say that's exactly true. My short stroke bolt runs quite a wide variety of ammo with any of the JP 9mm buffers available, including the various weight shorts strokes. I am however running a full JP GMR-15 with the JP trigger. No reset issues, doubling or anything common to other triggers in PCC's. 

Check and see you're not getting rubbing on the ejector with that lower you're running. We have seen a couple folks with various brands of receivers have either loose or bent ejectors have all sorts of problems with bolt cycling and ejection. 

4 hours ago, dthomas1003 said:

I will take a look at that this evening, thank you. Now I Just wish JP would return an email, it's been a week. I do not usually have the opportunity or time to call during the week. 

Try increasing the trigger pull weight to 3.5lbs

On 7/10/2019 at 7:47 PM, Piracy85 said:

I actually was able to get to the range and play with that today. The factory setting on the Elf trigger is the adjustment screw sitting flush. I did not weigh it so no idea what the weight is. I turned it one-half turn to higher weight, so now it is just a little below flush. The rifle now functions with the heavier X bolt. Trying the SCS short stroke buffer and it just will not feed with that buffer/bolt combo. It just appears to be stroked way too short with both as the rearward travel is very noticeably short. 

On 7/10/2019 at 9:47 PM, Piracy85 said:

I did this and things seems to be working correctly now... I’ve probably put a good 20k through it since I dropped in this trigger so I’m wondering if it’s backed out little by little over time. 

On 7/3/2019 at 5:08 PM, 1911luvr said:

Elftmann sent a new trigger to my buddy when he had the same problem but it didn’t fix it either. He sold it off and uses a Timney Calvin Elite now. Unfortunately that trigger has broken twice so I suggested he go with the Hiperfire 24c like I’ve been running without issue for two years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did the same thing, except I got a CMC trigger and haven't a single issue since I got it.

My Elftmann had tons of failure to reset problems - at first it was intermittent, then it was once every 8-10 rounds. They told me to reinstall it following the instructions included with the trigger and to readjust the set screws, that didn't help at all. They sent me a new one and it went on eBay the day it arrived.