Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Area 4 how to survive the HEAT, HUMIDITY

My son and I are use to the dry heat, the humid heat is new to us.

Does any one have some advice to help us survive the 2 day match and not overheat.

I got umbrella, cooling towels, arm sleeves.

thinking about getting I think with fishing shirts with vents, I don’t know just trying to be prepared.

thanks 

Not sure how much time you have, but I would start with acclimating.
No idea what your lifestyle is, but Id suggest turning the AC up to a higher temp and spend a lot more time out side in the heat of day doing something.
Mow, hike, walk the dog, outside chores, whatever just something active in the heat. Keep drinking water. Maybe an occasional elyte drink as long as it isnt full of sugar. But mainly water.
Now as well as the match, keep an eye on your urine, should be fairly clear. 
Also dont wait till match day to hydrate, you will never catch up. Need to be hydrated day before.

Great, thorough answer above from Joe     :cheers:

I shot Area match in VA end of August, and then 2 weeks later shot Nat'ls.

VA was in the low 90's and HUMID - thought I was going to die for 2 days

(I was living in NY at the time).

Went to Nat'ls in Las Vegas, and it was 114 F. but dry.

The 114 F in Vegas was Much More Comfortable than VA in the humidity.     :)

You notice more what you focus on..... Constantly saying, "Gosh it's hot and humid George" and that's a majority of what you'll be feeling. Accept you will be more sweaty, sticky and such than you're used to.

Bring a cooler with ice in it for all your food and drinks. Dip your neck towel and hat in the melt water between every stage.

Be hydrated ahead of time. Do not drink caffeine or alcohol near or during the match weekend. Drink far far more than you're used to by doing it constantly. Not trying to gulp huge amounts intermittently. I also take an electrolyte replacement pill during the mid point of my stages, you find them at cycling, triathlon and athletic places.

Finally recognize in yourself if you're crashing. Confused? Lips dry? Not sweating? Haven't peed all day? Labored breathing? Yeah, you need help and focus on "you" now instead of the shooting.

I’m in Memphis.

We’re in corner where TN, AR, and MS all intersect.

Shooting matches all summer long at 90-103 with 80-90% humidity is just what we’re used to.

Hydrate well, my friend. Drink a bottle of water a stage. If you honestly hate drinking water? Bring gatorade, it’s yummier and I chug three times as much fluid when it isn’t bland - personally I drink a bottle of water, then gatorade, then back. And toss a few applies or bananas and various fruit in the cooler, too.

Make yourself drink a bottle per stage. I will literally chug the remainder of a bottle while reloading mags before I’ll let myself walk to the next bay - hydration is something I enforce on myself strictly. If you don’t have to hit the toilets every two or three stages? You are not drinking enough. If you don’t have to piss, find a bottle of something and drink the whole damn thing.

The heat takes away your appetite too, which is just as big of a danger to performance at the end of the day. If shooting all day I try to eat a snack every half hour or so. Granola bars, fruit, etc.

Eat cleaner than you usually do.

It’ll matter in the heat. 

Do not change your normal caffeine intake however; getting jittery or sluggish or a headache on match day isn’t fun.

And don’t fall for the big fat lunch they sucker you into pigging out on. Snack all morning, eat perhaps just a hamburger off their grilled buffet of gluttony, and rely on your snacks in the afternoon.

A heavy lunch is death to your performance. Avoid that, eat light and often to keep yourself fueled and alert, try to over hydrate, and you’ll be one of the few left standing tall at 5pm.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

You're lucky, while  the temperature may be high 90's over the weekend in Rosenberg on at least Saturday the humidity is only supposed to be in the 60s!

Let’s hope it stays that way!

will you be shooting?

3 hours ago, Czgunsalot said:

Let’s hope it stays that way!

will you be shooting?

yeah i shoot all day Saturday and will be looking at stages Friday morning. it's only a 2.5 hour drive away. squad 202, Prod-M

Water. Lots of water. 

I'll be shooting Friday and probably stay for Saturday cause it's 1.5 hours away from my house and I can BS with a lot of the locals, and maybe help out if I'm feeling froggy.

Start hydrating several days before, coconut water is a great resource for this.  If you drink Gatoraid the day of it is highly recommended to keep a 4:1 ratio of water to sports drink going at most.  

Area59 has cover at each bay so that helps but shade will not replace the bottle per stage mentality you have to have.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, PGGUNS said:

These are great to use.  Keep an ice cooler that is slightly melted so there is a pool of cool water and saturate the towel.  Wear around your neck.  It will keep you cool along with hydrating.  These were life savers for summer baseball in Texas.  

https://www.amazon.com/Frogg-Toggs-Chilly-Cooling-Towel/dp/B06XQBRD29

Yup I already got one for me and my son