Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fully LH Open Gun

Meathead_67

Looking for someone to take on the challenge of building a fully left-handed Open Gun. By "fully" LH I mean left-side eject, not just mag release, safety, etc. I've seen LH 1911's so I know it's possible.

I've tried Atlas and Akai so far and neither were willing to give it a shot.

Thanks.

I did some more thinking about this last night.

lets look at a Atlas Chaos as an example. its a $6k gun made with about $2.5k in parts and finishing that leaves 3.5k for labor or about 3.5 days of a decent shop rate. 

if a smith were to take on your project they would probably spend a day or more right of the bat researching what was actually available and trying to talk manufactures into making a LH version if not. then lets assume the machining and assembly they normally do will take twice as long because its all backwards, that's another 7 days. so now we are up to $8.5K in shop time with no parts. your LH frame is not going to be $250 probably more like $2k (you have to pay for all the programming ect there is no economy of scale) slide probably about the same $2k a metal grip is probably closer to 5k then small parts (safety, grip safety, ejector, mag release, slide stop, firing pin stop)  all custom probably another 5k then you have the parts you can use of the shelf, barrel comp magwell dot pins springs ect lets say 1k

so lets total that up thats $15k in parts plus 9k in labor plus finishing.

so in the end were talking a $25k gun if your lucky

the reason nobody is interested in talking about it is they are pretty sure nobody is actually willing to spend that much. and that is just a quick estimate I would not quote it for that, that would be a pay as we go deal and in the end it costs what is costs. if we want to talk about something that someone would give a upfront cost for it would probably be double or tripple that as taking large financial risks like that is bad business.

If you want one of the "normal" open gun builders to talk to you about it, tell them up front your interested in buying a $25,000 to $50,000 custom build and are willing to put as much down as they feel they need for such a project.

with minimum changes  u will need only new  extractor, ejector and new slide.i think that u can find enough producers in your small island that can make all this parts in less than 2k.😉

and mag catch  for lefties is already exist.

As a lefty myself, I can see no reason to go on a mission to build an entire pistol in a left handed version.  However, if someone could perfect the ambidextrous thumb safety, that would be a nice addition for all of us.