Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's causes powder bar galling or scratching?

Have you internally checked the upper part of the  Powderslider? Can’t imagine  that this is caused by gunpowder. Perhaps there some Sharp edges in the slider? 

It looks a bit harsh to be powder alone to me too.  Either something else got in with the powder or there is some sort of burr in there.  Neither my 650 or 1050 bar look like this and they're many years old using various powders.  

10 hours ago, B_RAD said:

This has happened on two different presses. 

Could the powder be getting in between the powder par and the spacer and that's causing the galling?

Hey Jason,

I once had an anvil get in my powder throw and screw it up.  It scared it up fairly similar to what you're showing.

When loading 9mm I keep a 40 S&W casing handy for when I periodically check my powder drop.  I'll grab the 40 and put 3 drops in it, check the weight, then dump it back in the top of my powder flask. I figure that a separated anvil must have popped off during de-priming and fell into the 40 casing sitting there and I unknowingly dumped it into the powder flask when I checked the powder drop the next time.

Powder would NOT produce the exact same scratches on two different metering bars.

Looks like tool marks, so I would inspect the base plate it slides along and sand it smooth or contact Dillon.

We've seen this with some of the finer ball powders. Some ball powders have a tin coating on the powder, and occasionally a harder granule of powder fits between the powder bar and spacer and rolls back and forth. Usually we see this with H-110/W296. It could be one of the faster Accurate Arms pistol powders as well. Contact us for a thicker spacer bar and a replacement powder bar.

11 minutes ago, dillon said:

We've seen this with some of the finer ball powders. Some ball powders have a tin coating on the powder, and occasionally a harder granule of powder fits between the powder bar and spacer and rolls back and forth. Usually we see this with H-110/W296. It could be one of the faster Accurate Arms pistol powders as well. Contact us for a thicker spacer bar and a replacement powder bar.

I'm using Nobel Sport Vectan 9 1/2. It is a ball powder. Very good one too. Thank you for your response.  

6 hours ago, dillon said:

Kudos (once again) to the Dillon team!!

Not many current manufactures/distributors (not just gun related) toffer this type of support to consumers.  Well Costco comes to mind, but not much else.  Everyone else is looking for an excuse to demonstrate the 'issue' was/is not their problem and move on.

Edited by muncie21