Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Edge W/short Dust Cover?

ahtsay

Hello guys,

I found a used STi Edge for sale and the price is not too bad. Its about 25% less than a new one plus I don't have to wait 3 months to get it. I am just confused about the dust cover. It comes with short dust cover instead of long which I thought was standard. Does the Edge come with short dust cover at all? Since this is the Philippines, I am wary of counterfeit STis. Any comments on this? Also, just a followup question, when I check the gun, where do I look to assure me that its not damaged or anything? What kind of questions should I be asking the seller? Would you actually recommend me buying a used gun? Thanks again for all the support here. :D

ahtsay

I believe it's possible to special-order them that way, or have a gunsmith chop them down, but it does raise a warning flag. If you can get the serial number, STI may be able to look it up for you.

Otherwise, all the usual used-gun buying rules apply-- I think we have a list somewhere, but a knowledgeable, experienced shooter or gunsmith to look it over is #1 on the list.

You can't order an Edge with anything except a long dust cover. You can build up an Eagle that way but it would have the Eagle markings not Edge. If the dust cover was cut off it would still have a wide dust cover - you might check for that (width the same as the slide). Also an Edge of recent vintage (last 4 years or so) should have a serial number of "CM xxxx" unless it is a custom serial number. If any of those things don't check out you might want to pass.

Looks like a parts gun to me (not that there's much wrong with that if it was built well, but the varigated color scheme suggests caution). Got any better shots of the right side and/or the bottom of the frame?

Looks like a parts gun to me (not that there's much wrong with that if it was built well, but the varigated color scheme suggests caution).  Got any better shots of the right side and/or the bottom of the frame?

Agreed. Looks like he has an STI Edge-style (not marked Edge, i.e. a "Unique") slide on it, but a slide does not a gun make.

Further, I see nothing that clearly indicates it is an STI frame (the side shot where you can kinda see the underside of the dustcover appears to have a slightly different pattern than the writing on the STIs I have produces). And it wasn't ever a wide frame, unless the serial number was completely obliterated in taking it from a long/wide to a standard frame. Also lacks a 2011 marking (even a hint of one should be visible with the flash).

Looks fishy to me.

That gun surely didnt leave STI like that. A lot of full dust cover guns have been cut back but most have the stirrup cuts done at the same time. Is the frame hard chromed or alloy? It very well may be a good gun, but if it ever was a edge its not now. Price should reflect that. That would have to be a very good gun at a really low price for me to think about it.------Larry

The other things, I don't know about - I can't see enough to tell. The right side pic, it looks like a wide frame, to me. Flash obscures where the Sn would be (right hand side, under the slide stop hole, right?). The slide is too black to read what's written on it. The STI logo looks OK, to me, but....

Isn't that a Clark/Para ramp cut?? My Trojan has the Wilson/Nowlin square cut. I wouldn't think they'd do different cuts from gun to gun?

The right side pic, it looks like a wide frame, to me. Flash obscures where the Sn would be (right hand side, under the slide stop hole, right?). The slide is too black to read what's written on it. The STI logo looks OK, to me, but....

The first pic shows that it definitely isn't a wide frame.

Good call on the ramp... STI has always done the W/N ramp cut. Correct, those-in-the-know?

sorry guys, these are the only pictures available. When I asked the owner if I can try shooting it, he didn't reply (via SMS which is very popular here). I am guessing I asked too many questions, which turned him off. He must be looking for a buyer that would shell out the cash just by looking at the gun. Good luck to him. Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it. I guess the search continues for me. :D Infinity has suggested that I build my own gun, maybe thats what I should be doing. Thanks again!!!