Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cases ejecting into mount

trub7dur

New gun in .38sc, been having problems with cases ejecting into the mount and on occasion causing FTE. ( 1-3 in a hundred).

Did some tuning on the ejector and it helped a bit but I can't get it to eject straight out.

Any tips on how to make it eject more reliable?

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

The way the ejector is cut is hitting the case too low and kicking the case up.  You want to hit the case as high as possible to get it to come out flat.  The extractor hook may have a radius cut on it which will make the case flip up.

Super is easy to make run clean.  Your gunsmith should know how to do that.

bump up your load a little. cases are not ejected at all and are pushed back forward. (maybe a lighter recoilspring)

remove some material on the inside (tip) of the ejector so it hits the case more to the outside. 

and as JPL above mentioned remove some material so the ejector hits the case as high as possible.

this way the brass will eject more horizontal

7 hours ago, Shmella said:

Tip #1. Send it back to the builder. 

Not an option since my location is across the Atlantic, it was hard enough to get it.

6 hours ago, Glk21C said:

That and does it do it with any magazine length or just big sticks?

Any magazine.

26 minutes ago, stardust tommy said:

bump up your load a little. cases are not ejected at all and are pushed back forward. (maybe a lighter recoilspring)

remove some material on the inside (tip) of the ejector so it hits the case more to the outside. 

and as JPL above mentioned remove some material so the ejector hits the case as high as possible.

this way the brass will eject more horizontal

Spring is 8lbs, it does this with 7lbs too.

Load should be plenty, 11gr of N105 under a 121gr bullet.

10 hours ago, pjb45 said:

Does ejector length determine how soon the brass starts to leave the slide?  Just asking, I do not know the answer.

Yes, it does.   You have a way back mount, so your problem is tougher.   Longer ejectors start the ejection process sooner; shorter later.  I'd send those pictures to Akai and have a conversation on what to do about it.

If you decided to tackle this yourself, I use a Cheely Custom ejector.  I took nothing off the length, but beveled the lower 2/3s of the face at a 5 degree angle, and did the same for the top 1/3.  Cases eject almost straight out, but towards the rear.  They also eject slightly down.  If I raised the contact point on the ejector, the would eject more down.

5 hours ago, trub7dur said:

Not an option since my location is across the Atlantic, it was hard enough to get it.

Any magazine.

Spring is 8lbs, it does this with 7lbs too.

Load should be plenty, 11gr of N105 under a 121gr bullet.

Call shay. He’ll probably be able to walk you through it. 

8 hours ago, zzt said:

If you decided to tackle this yourself, I use a Cheely Custom ejector.  I took nothing off the length, but beveled the lower 2/3s of the face at a 5 degree angle, and did the same for the top 1/3.  Cases eject almost straight out, but towards the rear.  They also eject slightly down.  If I raised the contact point on the ejector, the would eject more down.

Do you have a picture of the ejector after you tuned it?

Edited by trub7dur

I don't.  Take a look at Figure four in this link.  http://www.brazoscustom.com/Home.htm

Mine is 1/3 2/3.  The ejector in 4 has a lower pickup point.  Mine is just a touch shorter.

I don't have your issue, because mine is not a way back mount, and it is one sided.  The ejected cases don't come anywhere near the mount.

100_1175.thumb.JPG.0b18896291bf618f77b79171d7d55c0f.JPG

On 4/14/2019 at 5:44 AM, zzt said:

Yes, it does.   You have a way back mount, so your problem is tougher.   Longer ejectors start the ejection process sooner; shorter later.  I'd send those pictures to Akai and have a conversation on what to do about it.

It is reasonable for you to modify the ejector yourself.  So enough YouTube instruction videos might help.  Remember, take off a little at a time, it is really hard to get J-B Weld to add length.

It is quite reasonable to consider doing this yourself.  There is nothing hard about it.  Plus ejectors are cheap, so if you make it too short, just ry again with another.

If your frame holes are where they should be, and of the correct size, you can push an ejector in and shoot it without pinning it.  I used a EGW extra long ejector the first time I adjusted one.  It is so long the pistol won't function until you remove some.  I weet to the range with a shield and a file.  I shortened a little, tried it, shortened a little more and tried again.  When I got the horizontal ejection angle I wanted, I beveled the bottom until I got the down angle I wanted.  Then I beveled the top to match.  Not a problem.

I suggested starting with a Cheely ejector, because it is a lot less work.