Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA MD / builders question

CrashDodson

21 hours ago, Maximis228 said:

We get it, you dont want solutions, you want to vent about how others ideas blow.

Carry on sir.

We have solutions, and they suck less than drastically increasing fees so that lazy people can shoot and scoot.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

Yup.. cuz thats how I framed it... 🤣

well, perhaps I am over-reacting, but that's what came across.

in my experience, delegating and having more people pitch in a little is more enjoyable and more successful and less work and expense for everyone than trying to monetize the match direction and setup process.

Edited by motosapiens

Let's not forget the other solution offered: Have matches at the extraordinary ranges that are willing to throw the range's staff and money at the club/match.  Kind of a "nice work if you can get it" solution," right up there with "be born rich" as good financial advice.

Edited by ATLDave

Three of the clubs I shoot at do exactly what ATLdave said.  A fourth, slightly less so.  At a fifth, the BoD could care less about sanctioned pistol shoots, but they don't get in the way.  At my home club, they are actively against it on the pistol range, although they do permit some.  They say it deprives other members of using the range.  Yet they have no problem closing the range for ladies day, or scout days (twice), or hunter safety day (kids), or for registered bullseye matches.

We have tried that.  This last round the shotgunners took over and spent a million  dollars on a new shotgun range.  Still havent sold the old one so they are sitting on a 900k loan.  

Its harder to get people to go to the meetings to vote than it is to get stage builders.  FML.

Edited by CrashDodson

On 4/10/2019 at 11:05 AM, elguapo said:

Oh wait, here's another one: https://practiscore.com/dawg-valley-uspsa-2019-04-14/register

I wonder how they do it?

I exchanged emails with the MD for that match.  He said they are a private range without general membership and can setup whenever they want.  He said they have 8-12 volunteers that do the setup in exchange for comped matches and access to the private range for their training purposes.  

Probably a similar direction that I will go in.  

1 hour ago, CrashDodson said:

I exchanged emails with the MD for that match.  He said they are a private range without general membership and can setup whenever they want.  He said they have 8-12 volunteers that do the setup in exchange for comped matches and access to the private range for their training purposes.  

Probably a similar direction that I will go in.  

I think this is pretty optimum, if you can swing it 

In Lubbock, We try to get volunteers to build a single stage and usually it fills up.  then we have a google sheet that is sent out to all the builders to show what props are available.  the builders pick what they want on a first come first serve basis.  There is also a spot for stage start description and stage briefing.  That way the MD has all the correct info for practiscore.  We have 4 different stage builders and a classifier for this weekends match.  

There have been certain months where I have designed more than one but then I find someone to set the stage while I build my own, then I will go trouble shoot it because I know what angles I saw on sketchup that may be of concern.  

The biggest thing I try to promote is the value and enjoyment of designing a stage that top shooters enjoy.  You might look to taking a few under your wing and teaching them the ins and outs of stage design.  That would build their confidence and ultimately take some pressure off you to build and design all the stages.

Just my two cents

When I help set up there is always a printed diagram of the stage.  It also contains a bill of materials listing everything required to build the stage as designed.  All of that gets dropped into the bay before setup starts.  I've found that is much, much quicker than the one club that uses the design as you go plan.  With that approach there is way too much of the 'where does this go', 'how about this' and 'does this look right'.

Around here you can drive to a USPSA match within an hour every weekend (plus IDPA, Steel, 3-gun and so on)

A few years ago a paid-setup match started up (shooters helped with tear-down).  Cost maybe $10 more than the volunteer-run matches in the area.  There was an experienced shooter designing stages and a couple younger shooter-helpers (college-age guys just discovering USPSA and having no money) setting everything up. 

It lasted for a year or so until the helpers decided there were easier ways to make money and nobody else qualified with a low enough labor rate wanted to do it.