Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA noob setup

cdholmes

I think I've finally decided to shoot one of the local USPSA matches in my area.  I'll probably go for Production or Carry Optics.  Have a Glock 19 with RMR, and may pick up a 17 or 34 for Production.  Does anyone have suggestions on belts, holsters, mag carriers, etc?  Don't want to drop too much money into it right now, but want something that's not going to break or lose function.  Thanks.

anything shooters connection sells will be real good and decent pricing.  if you have anything at all now, i'd just use that at a couple of matches and see what folks are using and whether it may work for you.  my production and 3 gun rigs are all bladetech, no issues.  double alpha or cr speed belts and really the shooters connection belts are pretty good.

For your first half dozen matches do this:

Shoot off your current best, stiffest tactical carry style belt.

Use any outside the waistband holster.

Bring three mag carriers on your weak hip.

Bring 4 G17 mags so you have more than enough ammo: 17rds in the gun and 51 more (17x3) on your belt.

Don’t buy anything else for at least 4 matches, because a year from now you won’t be using anything else that you buy when you’re new. Give yourself time to shoot a few other members guns - we all love showing our gear off - and learn about the sport.

You might fall in love with Limited, in which case the purchase of a G17 or G34 is $500-650 down the drain.

Production might be your passion. Or Open.

Right now gear won’t matter. A Glock 19 is an accurate serviceable gun. Shoot it in carry optics and go just have fun.

Anyone advising a new guy to go spend $$ on gear is steering you wrong, unless you only have a totally unserviceable gun. You don’t. Go shoot as is. 👍

Edited by MemphisMechanic

And if the individual has no owb holster or pouches? Someone truly starting with "I have a gun and the three mags that came in the box. I want to compete this weekend, help me."

For someone who really only has the gun and 2 or 3 mags, what should they do?

37 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

And if the individual has no owb holster or pouches? Someone truly starting with "I have a gun and the three mags that came in the box. I want to compete this weekend, help me."

I'm new to the game so I just went through this. In my opinion there's a couple different paths. 

If they've never shot any games and aren't sure if they're going to like it and stick with it, they should wear their strongest leather belt, and grab a $30 plastic holster and a couple cheap double mag pouches (or 2-3 of the ReadyTactical Mag pouches for around $20 each). Wear that to your first match, it's not going to hold you back. Once you know if you like the game you're going to upgrade all of it anyways. By that time hopefully you've held a few guns and have an idea what you like. Buy that gun and set up a rig for that. You'll be in for less than $100.

If you know your going to like the game but don't know what gun you're going to want to use I would go ahead and spring for a double belt setup now, and grab a Comp-Tac or Blade-Tech plastic holster for now since they are compatible with the fancy BOSS holster hanger later. Buy the holster for the longest gun that matches your frame (in this case OP has a Glock 19, he should buy a holster for a 34 since it gives him flexibility). Then I'd grab 2-3 DAA Racer pouches. They're really affordable, fit a lot of guns, adjustable. Everything listed here can grow with you in the sport but won't cost you a fortune. If you change guns later you're going to keep the belt and the pouches, you're only out the cost of a holster ($35 I think for the Blade-Tech Signature, and not even that if you buy something that fits the same holster like the Glocks). Add a $50 BOSS hanger and shoot for a year, then re-evaluate if you think you need to upgrade anything.

Edited by jmtyndall

25 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Then they should buy the bare minimum amount of gear that will still see use even if they decide they don't like USPSA or decide they want to shoot another gun/division.

In your example I would recommend:

1. Cheap OWB kydex holster

2. 3 - 4 more magazines (you can never have enough)

3. Four cheap, kydex, clip on mag pouches

4. A stiff, scuba webbing belt like Ares Gear

All that stuff will get you through any level 1 match in Production and still have some use if the new shooter decides to shoot something other than his current, generic black striker fired 4" pistol.

37 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

For someone who has, let’s say, a Glock 19, 3 magazines, and zero belt gear, who absolutely must shoot a match this weekend?

2 good options at minimal or no cost, since they might end up not liking the sport or making a drastic enough gun change to make any gear obsolete later:

- Buy a cheap OWB holster from either a local store or Amazon Prime (only good ways to guarantee you’ll have it in time). Use your stiffest belt you have and run your mags out of your pockets. 

-Reach out to the MD of the match you plan to attend, and see if they can get you in touch with someone who has extra gear that you can borrow.

I can personally guarantee that A/B class can be made with uncle mikes kydex holsters and mag pouches.  So to try with very little up front uncle mikes and your current glock and some mags.  Then shoot a bit and find out what you really like

On 4/3/2019 at 1:07 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

For your first half dozen matches do this:

Shoot off your current best, stiffest tactical carry style belt.

Use any outside the waistband holster.

Bring three mag carriers on your weak hip.

Bring 4 G17 mags so you have more than enough ammo: 17rds in the gun and 51 more (17x3) on your belt.

Don’t buy anything else for at least 4 matches, because a year from now you won’t be using anything else that you buy when you’re new. Give yourself time to shoot a few other members guns - we all love showing our gear off - and learn about the sport.

You might fall in love with Limited, in which case the purchase of a G17 or G34 is $500-650 down the drain.

Production might be your passion. Or Open.

Right now gear won’t matter. A Glock 19 is an accurate serviceable gun. Shoot it in carry optics and go just have fun.

Anyone advising a new guy to go spend $$ on gear is steering you wrong, unless you only have a totally unserviceable gun. You don’t. Go shoot as is. 👍

This.  All of this.