Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911/2011 Recoil, Hammer Springs and Firing Pin Stop Tuning Videos

CHA-LEE

I regularly get questions about tuning the Recoil/Hammer Springs or Firing Pin Stop angle on 1911/2011 pistols so I figured I would create a Technical Discussion video about it. Hopefully this video helps clear up some misunderstandings about tuning these components so you can maximize the performance of your pistol. Fair warning, I had to bust this video up into two different parts due to its almost 25 minute length as YouTube as a 15 minute video limit. Each part talks about specific topics and you can only video one if you want, but I would suggest watching both as the tail end of the second part ties everything together. If you have any questions let me know.

For my Atlas Titan Operator I am using their 70 degree angled FPS. 

On my old Limited Guns I preferred a rounded FPS.

For my Open gun I use a Square FPS.

Every Gun needs its own unique spring and FPS setup based on how effectively you grip the gun and manage the recoil.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Cha - Lee, thank you for the time you took to post the video and information.  A quest to understand why my colt combat elite 45 shot - feeling wise - smoother than other 45s with similar spring weights led me to your post.

The part that peaked my curiosity was  your explanation on how the recoil spring, main spring and FPS impact the muzzle rise at some point of the slide going back.

I read an article that mentioned how keeping the delay of the slide going back (ms) can allow the bullet to leave the barrel. Once the bullet leaves the barrel, the energy pushing back starts to diminish.

Have you encountered this experiience?

If so, I would imagine that barrel length then starts playing a part in the equation of 'felt' recoil or better described as rearward muzzle flip.

With this in mind, what would you recommend for FPS radius testing to determine the best overall performance and reliabiliity?

Thank you,

Angel

10 hours ago, Halo-of-Angel said:

Cha - Lee, thank you for the time you took to post the video and information.  A quest to understand why my colt combat elite 45 shot - feeling wise - smoother than other 45s with similar spring weights led me to your post.

The part that peaked my curiosity was  your explanation on how the recoil spring, main spring and FPS impact the muzzle rise at some point of the slide going back.

I read an article that mentioned how keeping the delay of the slide going back (ms) can allow the bullet to leave the barrel. Once the bullet leaves the barrel, the energy pushing back starts to diminish.

Have you encountered this experiience?

If so, I would imagine that barrel length then starts playing a part in the equation of 'felt' recoil or better described as rearward muzzle flip.

With this in mind, what would you recommend for FPS radius testing to determine the best overall performance and reliabiliity?

Thank you,

Angel

Heavier springs and a square FPS will delay and slow the rearward movement of the slide. But even the configurations that have the “lightest” lockup leverage will stay in place long enough for the bullet to leave the barrel before anything starts to move.  This also assumes the gun is built properly. 

Barrel length will absolutely have an effect on the felt recoil and perceived muzzle flip. In my experience the longer the barrel the more muzzle flip will be felt.

As for your last question about which spring and FPS will produce the best performance as well as most reliability. There is no magical “One size fits all” solution. You need to test different setups to find the best one for YOU.