Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Race holsters with or without barrel supports. Why?

Heatstroke18

1 hour ago, Heatstroke18 said:

I’m really looking hard at the DAA Alpha X. Looks top notch, I like how the entire body is aluminum (insert looks to be delron) where as the ghost “the one” and the cr speed are plastic composite. Just gonna convince myself to bite the $80~ up charge. Might be something I save a little more for. Sell a kidney or something....

I like it a lot, it's a well made holster for sure. Certainly more flexibility in the design than I require but I appreciate a well thought out piece of hardware!

23 hours ago, Heatstroke18 said:

So I’m looking to go from a kydex holster to a race holster for a CZ TS Orange. Many options, and I know they all have their fan base. But my questions is some come with barrel supports like the CR Speed, and others like the Double Alpha do not have a barrel support. Is there a benefit to either? Is it just a preference thing?  Just looking for a little insight. Thanks!

I always favor redundancy, especially in this sport.  I have not seen it to slow efficiency down, except on reholstering. I have not seen many experienced shooters (or any that I remember) drop their guns with non-bbl supported open holsters, but I HAVE seen a few knock objects while NOT shooting a stage, when they forgot to lock certain non-bbl supported holsters, and their guns fell out. This doesn't mean if it had a bbl support it wouldn't have fallen out.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

I can’t say anything about a alpha x for a 2011 but just like another already posted I’ve had issues with my alpha x for my Cz TSO since day one. It is very loose allowing the gun to wiggle in every direction and has only gotten worse. It’s very hard to get a repeatable grip because of this. Worse part is I called DAA when I first got it and they asked if it still locked even though it wiggled and after telling them it did they told me ok that is normal sometimes let us know if it gets worse so when I did they said ok we will sale you another one if you like. Customer service is a joke! I would not buy another one especially for a TSO. 

2 hours ago, Superpipe9 said:

I can’t say anything about a alpha x for a 2011 but just like another already posted I’ve had issues with my alpha x for my Cz TSO since day one. It is very loose allowing the gun to wiggle in every direction and has only gotten worse. It’s very hard to get a repeatable grip because of this. Worse part is I called DAA when I first got it and they asked if it still locked even though it wiggled and after telling them it did they told me ok that is normal sometimes let us know if it gets worse so when I did they said ok we will sale you another one if you like. Customer service is a joke! I would not buy another one especially for a TSO. 

Im curious which TSO do you have.  TS%20-Orange-Czechmate-frame-issue1.jpg

i have the trigger guard of gun #2. Also does the alpha x not have any kind of micro adjustment set screw to allow for tightening up like the CR Speed or a Ghost holster?

2 hours ago, Heatstroke18 said:

Im curious which TSO do you have.  TS%20-Orange-Czechmate-frame-issue1.jpg

i have the trigger guard of gun #2. Also does the alpha x not have any kind of micro adjustment set screw to allow for tightening up like the CR Speed or a Ghost holster?

I have 2 as well. DAA had me send them picture of the frame and holster block to make sure it was correct

2 hours ago, Superpipe9 said:

I have 2 as well. DAA had me send them picture of the frame and holster block to make sure it was correct

I have seen some other people in different treads say that they got the SP01 block and did a little modification to it to get the TSO to fit snugly.  Im guessing that the SP01 has the thinnest trigger guard and with a little bit of sand paper you can open it up to the desired snugness for the TSO. 

6 hours ago, Stoneface86 said:

I just picked up my new 2019 Cz TSO which has a Checkmate Trigger guard.  It fits in my DAA race master Holster tight but I ordered the DAA muzzle support just be on the safe side.  I’ll let you know how it goes with the muzzle support. 

I have a 2017 TSO which would require the TSO block.

I use the Gugas Ribas with my STI Steel Master.  Before adding the muzzle/barrel support I had trouble getting the gun to seat reliably in the holster so it would lock.  Once I installed the barrel support, I can put the muzzle on the rubber nub and then cant the gun back into the holster.  Works pretty much all the time now.  I also feel more comfortable about sitting down with the barrel support, as others have mentioned.