Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New STI Guy with Magazine Questions

Centuriator

OK, I have my new STI handguns and I purchased several 140mm magazines from STI, they all work great, but I'd like to ad some Taran Tactical extensions to them and .... dang ... I'm confused and/or stupid and probably both, but I can't make heads or tails of TTI's instructions. I have Glocks and when I buy TTI extensions for them, the ones that hold the most extra rounds come with extra-power springs, but in this case, as best as I can tell, if I buy the largest extension for the 140mm mags they do not supply extra power springs.

I'm using 9mm by the way.

The mags I have now hold 21 rounds, and if I add TTI 7mm extensions, I am having a hard time figuring out how many extra rounds I will get and if I need to buy extra power springs, and if so, what exactly.

The TTI chart confuses me.

Thanks for any help.

sti.sv-cheat-sheet2.png

Edited by Centuriator

OK, I have my new STI handguns and I purchased several 140mm magazines from STI, they all work great, but I'd like to ad some Taran Tactical extensions to them and .... dang ... I'm confused and/or stupid and probably both, but I can't make heads or tails of TTI's instructions. I have Glocks and when I buy TTI extensions for them, the ones that hold the most extra rounds come with extra-power springs, but in this case, as best as I can tell, if I buy the largest extension for the 140mm mags they do not supply extra power springs.

I'm using 9mm by the way.

The mags I have now hold 21 rounds, and if I add TTI 7mm extensions, I am having a hard time figuring out how many extra rounds I will get and if I need to buy extra power springs, and if so, what exactly.

The TTI chart confuses me.

Thanks for any help.

sti.sv-cheat-sheet2.thumb.png.efd29fcca910e94dc95736152f628994.png
Seems like you're competing in Limited Division so 4mm base pads are what you need. Any longer and you'll get bumped into open for mags being too long

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Just now, Centuriator said:

No, sorry, I should have said that I'm not involved in any shooting sport or competition, just looking to get max capacity out of my STI mags.

7mm possibly 13 coil springs and follower

20 minutes ago, Centuriator said:

OK, so I should buy the 13 coil spring and the follower from TTI along with the 7mm extension, if I understand you correctly?

Thanks.

Well I run 7mm pads on my 140 9mm mags and I have used 11 coils for over 5 years with no issues.

Hi Sarge, thanks, how many rounds do you get in your 140mm tubes with the TTI extension and 11 coil springs?

That chart just confuses the crap out of me, but am I reading it right that with a 140mm tube and 7mm basepad and an 11 coil spring your capacity is 24 rounds?

53 minutes ago, Centuriator said:

Hi Sarge, thanks, how many rounds do you get in your 140mm tubes with the TTI extension and 11 coil springs?

That chart just confuses the crap out of me, but am I reading it right that with a 140mm tube and 7mm basepad and an 11 coil spring your capacity is 24 rounds?

Not 100% sure as I run Grams springs and followers with TTI 7mm pads. BUT I can get 23 but only 22 reloable. The TTI follower is mighty thin so 24 sounds reasonable. But for sure 22+.

1 minute ago, Centuriator said:

OK, thank you, sounds like it is not really too worth for me since I'm getting 21 rounds in them as they are right now. With my Glocks I get 6 extra rounds in my otherwise 17 round mags! :)

But you can certainly put longer base pads on but they don't work like mag extensions per say. STI type mags already have good capacity so what we do is just try to get a few more hear and there. If you are not going to compete I would just leave them alone. I shoot local steel matches with a guy that just uses stock Gen 1 STI mags. He could care less about how many they hold and they are 100% reliable.

So with the 140s and tarans 7mm and the taran ultra thin +1 follower and 11 coil spring  you’ll get 25rds of 9. I would just go with their regular follower though, that will get you 24.  I personally use grams with taran 7mm basepads and I get 23, with 24 being very tight. And I have one mag with the taran ultra thin +1 and I get 25. Seems like wirh tarans spring and follower you’ll get about 1 more round then with grams. I haven’t tried their regular follower yet but I’m gonna pick one up to try soon. 

18 hours ago, Sarge said:

But you can certainly put longer base pads on but they don't work like mag extensions per say. STI type mags already have good capacity so what we do is just try to get a few more hear and there. If you are not going to compete I would just leave them alone. I shoot local steel matches with a guy that just uses stock Gen 1 STI mags. He could care less about how many they hold and they are 100% reliable.

I'm with Sarge on this one.  If you're not competing, I wouldn't waste money on spring/follower kits or basepads.