Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to time an activator (popper)

Looking for ideas on how to control the timing for activating a drop-turner via a popper. 

Longer cable?  more slacks? If I want the drop-turner to start 3-5 seconds after the popper falls, is there a way to do that?  Thanks.

longer cables or more slack are not what yo are looking for, they will not add more than a fraction of a second and are likely to cause issues if activation starts out as marginal and anything changes. 

The best way would be to add some intermediate activator to the setup, like when you set a max traps drop weight to activate another max trap. there are many ways you could build (re purpose) a prop to activate a drop turner, depending on the delay you want, just think about the props you have and how you could make them activate something else. if you want to build something from scratch the sky is the limit. 

8 hours ago, Dazhi said:

Looking for ideas on how to control the timing for activating a drop-turner via a popper. 

Longer cable?  more slacks? If I want the drop-turner to start 3-5 seconds after the popper falls, is there a way to do that?  Thanks.

? for you. if you get it to work the way you want.  IS the drop turner going to be in a different array?

Reason I ask is  usually doesn't take 5 seconds to shoot a whole array.

Wondering if a lot of people would shoot at the DT before it moved , thus avoiding the FTE, but take the misses do to the time required to wait for it.

Just me thinking what I would do if a target activated that slowly.

36 minutes ago, jcc7x7 said:

? for you. if you get it to work the way you want.  IS the drop turner going to be in a different array?

Reason I ask is  usually doesn't take 5 seconds to shoot a whole array.

Wondering if a lot of people would shoot at the DT before it moved , thus avoiding the FTE, but take the misses do to the time required to wait for it.

Just me thinking what I would do if a target activated that slowly.

Popper will be on one side of the stage, while the DT on the other side.  I want to give people enough time to move over to engage DT. Also planning to make the DT not disappearing (just a slice exposed behind a NS) so people won't give up shooting it. 

10 minutes ago, Dazhi said:

Popper will be on one side of the stage, while the DT on the other side.  I want to give people enough time to move over to engage DT. Also planning to make the DT not disappearing (just a slice exposed behind a NS) so people won't give up shooting it. 

OK

Stuff like that has been done at clubs I shoot at.

Most usually throw a couple at it and go on. SO since the time either waiting or executing a deliberate shot/shots is usually passed and the 2 mikes taken.

Suggest you share your thought with several of the folks who do the stage designs at your club to get their thoughts and input.

I know from experience, me trying to come up with different ideas, that most of the time they don't work out as well as I hoped.

Honestly hope your idea works out for you and the match and lots of folks think it was a great stage. 

9 hours ago, Dazhi said:

If you use a big popper and keep it adjusted to the heavy side it will fall pretty slowly. Run a cable across where it will fall about 6" off the ground so the popper falls on the cable and trips the DT. Should get you 2 maybe 3 seconds if set up right.

2 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

OK

Stuff like that has been done at clubs I shoot at.

Most usually throw a couple at it and go on. SO since the time either waiting or executing a deliberate shot/shots is usually passed and the 2 mikes taken.

Suggest you share your thought with several of the folks who do the stage designs at your club to get their thoughts and input.

I know from experience, me trying to come up with different ideas, that most of the time they don't work out as well as I hoped.

Honestly hope your idea works out for you and the match and lots of folks think it was a great stage. 

I had a stage that got gamed last month :)

This one will require 3 shots on paper, and it's non-disappearing.  Very close range.  So the penalty plus 3 mikes will deter gamers I think :)

Make it a shorter movement if you can’t slow it down. Put the popper on one side of a barrel then the DT on the oppsite side; a barrel right up in your face requires 2-3 feet of movement to see around.

A good rule of thumb is to design something like this so that a C-class can hit the target after the movment if he takes the popper last. It’s then up to the M class guy to decide how many targets he takes between the popper and the activated target.

If your state requires a-class hustle to get a glimpse at the DT, you’re doing it wrong.

6 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Make it a shorter movement if you can’t slow it down. Put the popper on one side of a barrel then the DT on the oppsite side; a barrel right up in your face requires 2-3 feet of movement to see around.

A good rule of thumb is to design something like this so that a C-class can hit the target after the movment if he takes the popper last. It’s then up to the M class guy to decide how many targets he takes between the popper and the activated target.

If your state requires a-class hustle to get a glimpse at the DT, you’re doing it wrong.

yep

As others have mentioned place multiple targets in separate arrays.  One I have seen challenge people is a popper and an activated target on opposite sides of a barrier.  

So the left side has a popper that activates a target on the right side, two paper targets somewhat spaced out and a target activated by a popper on the right side.  The right side is mirrored with a popper, two paper targets and an activated target from  the left side.  Now the classifications need to figure out the most efficient order to shoot them especially if the activated target is not disappearing.  

20 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

good advice.  thanks.

2 hours ago, beechnutbob said:

If it is not disappearing then 25% of the A zone must be visible not just s slice

Or the entire upper A zone of USPSA target.

Edited by Sarge