Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taran +10 extension

I bought the +10 with springs to add to a Glock 33 round magazine. So far I can only get 35 rounds into it after leaving it loaded for a week. I have filed the follower and bottom of the tube to make sure everything moves freely. 

To me the spring looks really long but I don’t want to cut it off. Any suggestions?

Put the stock spring in and see how many rounds you can load.  If it all works I'd start cutting the "really long spring" a few coils at a time until you can get the desired # of rounds in - with not having to force the last one.  That is so you could load with a closed bolt with having to hammer the bottom of the mag.

What Homie said. Put your thumb on the top round, apply some pressure, and give the bottom of the mag a smack with the palm of your other hand. That should allow the back bottom edge of the follower to transition into the basepad. Then load the rest of your rounds. I have four of the +10's on Glock 31 round mags, two Gen 1's and two Gen 2's, and did this with each initially to help that transition into the basepad. That is the advice Taran gives. All four mags will hold 42 rounds tight with the mag spring as is. Don't mess with cutting coils off the spring. It is the appropriate length already and cutting coils may only hurt reliability because it lessens the upward pressure on feeding rounds. If you can't insert the mag on a closed bolt without forcing it, try backing off by a round or two in the mag to allow some give in that top round.

+1 to homie and whitefish, I had this issue with my gen 1 tti going on 4 glock mags. I did use an exacto knife to cut the slag out of the bottom of the mag but didn’t make and bevels. They have run 100% and hold 42 rounds easy. 

On 1/27/2019 at 9:50 AM, Whitefish said:

What Homie said. Put your thumb on the top round, apply some pressure, and give the bottom of the mag a smack with the palm of your other hand. That should allow the back bottom edge of the follower to transition into the basepad. Then load the rest of your rounds. I have four of the +10's on Glock 31 round mags, two Gen 1's and two Gen 2's, and did this with each initially to help that transition into the basepad. That is the advice Taran gives. All four mags will hold 42 rounds tight with the mag spring as is. Don't mess with cutting coils off the spring. It is the appropriate length already and cutting coils may only hurt reliability because it lessens the upward pressure on feeding rounds. If you can't insert the mag on a closed bolt without forcing it, try backing off by a round or two in the mag to allow some give in that top round.

How do you like the gen 2 compared to gen 1? Is the reduced weight noticeable? I’m currently have 3 gen 1s and would like to buy more.

6 hours ago, Bwillis said:

How do you like the gen 2 compared to gen 1? Is the reduced weight noticeable? I’m currently have 3 gen 1s and would like to buy more.

I ordered two more Gen 1's to go with the two I already had when Taran had his big 30% off sale a few weeks ago because they were significantly less expensive than the Gen 2's. It took a while to ship and when they arrived, lo and behold, they sent me two Gen 2's for the price of the Gen 1's. My speculation is that they ran out of the color I wanted in the Gen 1's (coyote bronze). The color is a slightly lighter shade on the Gen 2's and they are lighter in weight (not a lot), but I am not sure how much you would notice that in the real world when they are fully loaded with 41 rounds of 9mm ammo and in the gun. I haven't used them yet, just installed the Gen 2's on two mags and loaded them up with ammo to check number of rounds and function. My initial take is that there is not a big difference and probably not worth the extra $$ if the Gen 1's are still supposed to be available.

1 hour ago, Whitefish said:

I ordered two more Gen 1's to go with the two I already had when Taran had his big 30% off sale a few weeks ago because they were significantly less expensive than the Gen 2's. It took a while to ship and when they arrived, lo and behold, they sent me two Gen 2's for the price of the Gen 1's. My speculation is that they ran out of the color I wanted in the Gen 1's (coyote bronze). The color is a slightly lighter shade on the Gen 2's and they are lighter in weight (not a lot), but I am not sure how much you would notice that in the real world when they are fully loaded with 41 rounds of 9mm ammo and in the gun. I haven't used them yet, just installed the Gen 2's on two mags and loaded them up with ammo to check number of rounds and function. My initial take is that there is not a big difference and probably not worth the extra $$ if the Gen 1's are still supposed to be available.

Shooters didn’t have anymore gen 1 so I ordered 2 gen 2s  this am. With the member discount they were 42 each. My plan is to get at least 7 and preload the night before so I don’t have to load after a stage. Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by Bwillis

So the difference between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 TTI +10 extensions is the contoured base on the Gen 2?

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Taran-TacticalGlock-Ultralight-PCC-10-Base-Pad--P5322.aspx

It looks like Shooters Connection only has the Gen 2 base plates now...  Agree with @Bwillis that the Shooters Connection BEnos discount is a great option!  Good for us and good for Bryan!

3 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

So the difference between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 TTI +10 extensions is the contoured base on the Gen 2?

Yes, the contoured base is what I can see as the difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2, and (maybe, just maybe) a slightly bigger bevel on the top rear. BTW - I paid $26.59 each with the then 30% discount directly from TTI (+ shipping) for what was supposed to be two Gen 1 +10 base pads. That was during a 3-day sale TTI had around New Year's. As I said above, I ordered and paid for two Gen 1's during the sale and TTI actually ended up sending me two of the Gen 2's for that amount. Who am I to turn down the more expensive Gen 2's? 😀 

10 hours ago, Whitefish said:

Yes, the contoured base is what I can see as the difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2, and (maybe, just maybe) a slightly bigger bevel on the top rear. BTW - I paid $26.59 each with the then 30% discount directly from TTI (+ shipping) for what was supposed to be two Gen 1 +10 base pads. That was during a 3-day sale TTI had around New Year's. As I said above, I ordered and paid for two Gen 1's during the sale and TTI actually ended up sending me two of the Gen 2's for that amount. Who am I to turn down the more expensive Gen 2's? 😀 

10 hours ago, Whitefish said:

And (as Columbo used to say), just one more thing. The retaining pin in the Gen 2's is much shorter and just located in the top portion of the basepad above the contour.

Thanks for the info...

I ordered one of the Gen 2 TTI base plates and a 31/33 round Glock magazine from Shooters Connection...  Always trying to save some weight...  Then of course I load it with 38 rounds of lead...  😎

i received my gen 2 +10 yesterday, they are noticeably lighter I will post weights unloaded and loaded later for gen 1 vs gen 2. What stood out to me is the gen 2 have the dog ear cuts for the mags, the gen 1 do not. The gen 1 had to be cut off the mags for the pad to slide over and lock up. I assembled the gen 2 last night, cut the slag out and put the bp on. I loaded 35 rounds it got stuck with my lula pressing down smacked the bottom on the table and loaded 7 more rounds for a total of 42. I then functioned tested by hand cycling and all worked well happened with both mags. 

2 hours ago, Bwillis said:

What stood out to me is the gen 2 have the dog ear cuts for the mags, the gen 1 do not. The gen 1 had to be cut off the mags for the pad to slide over and lock up.

The two Gen 1's I have both have "dog ear cuts" for the nubs on the mags, as do the the two Gen 2's I have. No difference that I can see in Gen 1 v. Gen 2 in the cuts, nor any difference in assembly, disassembly, that I can see and no modification of the mag itself was necessary with my Gen 1's. I bought the two Gen 1's in early September, so perhaps something changed from earlier ones. Unless we are talking about two different things, I don't see it.

19 minutes ago, Whitefish said:

The two Gen 1's I have both have "dog ear cuts" for the nubs on the mags, as do the the two Gen 2's I have. No difference that I can see in Gen 1 v. Gen 2 in the cuts, nor any difference in assembly, disassembly, that I can see and no modification of the mag itself was necessary with my Gen 1's. I bought the two Gen 1's in early September, so perhaps something changed from earlier ones. Unless we are talking about two different things, I don't see it.

Talking about the same thing, I have 3 gen 1 none of them have the dog ear cuts same with my +6 on 17 mags. I had to cut the plastic tabs on all the mags I put them on. 

On 1/27/2019 at 9:33 AM, PharmDShooter said:

I bought the +10 with springs to add to a Glock 33 round magazine. So far I can only get 35 rounds into it after leaving it loaded for a week. I have filed the follower and bottom of the tube to make sure everything moves freely. 

To me the spring looks really long but I don’t want to cut it off. Any suggestions?

For every glock mag I own with an extension on it I chamfer all the sharp edges on the follower, paying special attention to the lower edge on the rear of the follower.  I also clear out any plastic molding flash inside the bottom of the magazine tube.  I have put together about two dozen different generations and lengths using three or four different makes of extensions. I have no issues loading any of them to rated capacity. I did find with the TTI +10s out of the box with an untouched mag/follower they would hang up around round 35/36. Easy temp fix is just fill the mag til it hangs up, grip the mag in one hand with your thumb putting down pressure on the top round and smack the baseplate into the palm of your other hand. this will get the follower past the sticking point. Keep that thumb pressure applied and continue loading.  If you do this enough times the follower will eventually wear down and the problem will go away. 

21 hours ago, Whitefish said:

I stand corrected, I didn’t notice them on gen1 and cut the tabs off my mags. I’ve got 1000s of rounds thru them no issues.