Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drop the hammer on rimfire?

optimator

I shot my first steel match last weekend. I really enjoyed it and plan on doing it monthly. I was wondering if at the end of your run when you unload and show clear if the RO's require you to then drop the hammer? We didn't have any rimfire shooters in our squad, and I didn't think to ask at the time. What's been your experience?

2 minutes ago, dapribek said:

At our club, the shooter flags the pistol and then pulls the trigger so the firing pin doesn’t strike the bolt face. 

Thanks guys. I've emailed my match director, I'm curious what he has to say. I'd thought about using a flag, I can't see why that would be unacceptable. 

My experience is after you "unload and show clear", the RO will help insert a chamber flag and then you just close the bolt on the flag and either holster or bag the gun.  Most rimfires, can't be dry fired if if the bolt is even slightly out of battery so, once the flag is in place, pulling the trigger doesn't do anything.

1 minute ago, SteelCityShooter said:

My experience is after you "unload and show clear", the RO will help insert a chamber flag and then you just close the bolt on the flag and either holster or bag the gun.  Most rimfires, can't be dry fired if if the bolt is even slightly out of battery so, once the flag is in place, pulling the trigger doesn't do anything.

I think out of all my rimfire pistols my M&P Compact is the only one that i can just barely pull the slide back and drop the hammer on. No bueno on my Buckmark or 22/45.

I just got a reply from our match director. Chamber flags are the way to go at our club too. Thanks for the replies.

Off to start a "Whats your favorite SC chamber flag" thread 😂

Edited by optimator

7 hours ago, optimator said:

Off to start a "Whats your favorite SC chamber flag" thread 😂

Weed eater string :). 

In sanctioned SCSA matches you do not have the drop the hammer on any rimfire pistol or rifle. If the RO tells you to do so ask him or her to go read the rules :).

You are also permitted, with approval, to fire the last round into the berm.  Whn I use my Marvel Unit One I have to do this, because it will not extract a loaded round from that tight match chamber.

5.3.9 If the cartridge fails to extract/eject, which is common with Rimfire pistols and rifles, once the time has been recorded and with approval of the Range Officer, the last cartridge may be fired directly into the berm without penalty. After the cartridge has been fired the Range Officer will resume the commands from rule 5.3.8 , “If clear, hammer down,” as appropriate for the firearm.

4 hours ago, zzt said:

You are also permitted, with approval, to fire the last round into the berm.  Whn I use my Marvel Unit One I have to do this, because it will not extract a loaded round from that tight match chamber.

5.3.9 If the cartridge fails to extract/eject, which is common with Rimfire pistols and rifles, once the time has been recorded and with approval of the Range Officer, the last cartridge may be fired directly into the berm without penalty. After the cartridge has been fired the Range Officer will resume the commands from rule 5.3.8 , “If clear, hammer down,” as appropriate for the firearm.

I'd noticed a few do that and wondered why, didn't get a chance to ask.