Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FTF issues with g22

Bsbllrooster

I have a g22 set up for limited (taylor freelance sight block on a lone wolf barrel, frame weight, and brass magwell) that I’m having some issues with. Primarily I am consistently getting a failure to feed malfunction. I’ve attached a photo for reference but essentially the slide is failing to catch the back of the case and is instead stripping the round out of the magazine by the side wall of the case. This causes the case to be wedged sideways into the chamber and since the extractor isn’t catching the rim of the case, I have to drop the mag, lock the slide back, let the round fall out the magwell, reinsert the mag and rack the slide. This is not conducive to good stage times. I’ve since switched the magazine springs to 170 length mag springs to try and get the round higher sooner. This has alleviated the issues mostly but I still get the same malfunction about 1 out of every 200 rounds. Any advice? I currently have a 17lb recoil spring in the gun to try and slow the slide down a little to give the round more time to get into position. Should I go heavier? Maybe lighter?

I’d appreciate some insight as I’m relatively new to the Glock platform.

In the second picture I have locked the slide back after the malfunction. You can see the mark on the side wall of the case showing where the slide is engaging it and missing the back of the case.

4ee846cdbef3c6b9cfc67eaea21097b7.jpg29a8d8ff9ee2aebaff9ef11298cfa41e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So to be clear you are recommending going to a weaker shorter magazine spring even with a taylor freelance basepad for 140mm mags? Seems like a weaker mag spring and a weaker recoil spring would exaggerate the issue. Just curious about the reasoning behind your recommendation.

Just to add a little info, factory ammo seems to malfunction more then my loads loaded to 1.14 OAL.

How'd it work before you did all those modifications? You shouldn't need to use 170mm spring in 140mm mag, the normal 140mm springs should work. And it should work fine with various recoil springs. I use the normal 140mm springs and either 15lb or 17lb recoil springs will work fine. Don't use an OEM spring with a 140mm extension though.

Hello: If the magazine spring is too strong and the recoil spring is too strong it can slow down the slide. That will give you feeding problems. The magazine spring also pushes up and causes the round to push out of the magazine before it can go under the extractor. A recoil spring that is too strong makes the gun under recoil short stroke not allowing the round enough time to get under the extractor. I am not sure on that barrel but it could be getting into a 3 point bind if the ramp is not correct. I use stock magazine springs in my 9mm extended base pads with no problem. Try the original barrel and see what it does as well as a stock factory magazine. Thanks, Eric

Id try a 12-13lb recoil spring and the regular 140mm mag springs. Also are you sure you are not occasionally relaxing your grip to much?  The Glock flexes alot in recoil.  But from the looks of it it is short stroking.  Also be sure that the frame weight is not causing a bind from over tightening or tightening in a way to flex the frame. That can cause issues with your recoil system as well. If none of that helps start diagnosing one part at a time starting with the frame weight coming off, theb barrel then mags.

Also you did bevel the edges of the follower so they do not hang up in the transistion between the base pad and tube?

I was having that same issue after I threw a comp and optic on my g22, using both 15 and 22 round magazines. I'm glad to see others having the issue, so I could get some feedback. My theory was that it was shortstroking due to the comp (17lbs spring), and I have yet to get out and test with the 15 and 13 springs I have. So hopefully that's the issue, otherwise whatever squeezing the frame is an interesting thing to look out for.

I will try lightening the recoil spring and report back. I’m very hesitant to go back to a stock mag spring or even the extra power mag spring that came with the base pads because going to the extra long mag spring alleviated 95% of the issues.

The Lone Wolf barrel may also be a problem source. I put a Lone Wolf 9 mm conversion barrel in my G22 fed by OEM 9 mm magazines and there were FTFs with Fiocchi but not Winchester white box or American Eagle. We were using up several different types of ammo, so the magazines were mixed loads. The FTF was like a failure drill, but it was a mess with the cartridge wedged in in such a way as to neither go into battery or allow me to eject it by racking the slide. The cartridge essentially locked the slide halfway between battery and slide lock. It took almost five minutes of yanking and banging with the magazine out before the cartridge finally dropped out the magwell. 

The first time it happened my wife was shooting it. I suggested she was limp wristing. After I unjammed the pistol it happened to her again. Each time it took five minutes to resolve. I was frustrated and she was embarrassed at the difficulty she had caused. When it then happened to me, there was major apologizing to follow. We burned the rest of the Fiocchi in a Sig P228 where it worked just fine. Even I was smart enough not to test it a fourth time. 

30 minutes ago, Bsbllrooster said:

Seems like a very different issue then what I’m having. Sounds like you had a very tight chamber.

When I shook the jammed pistol there was a slight rattle of the cartridge. I imagined it was trapped behind the chamber but couldn’t pull the slide back enough for photos like yours.

Could your experience be a less severe version of mine? 

To others, why not get a trade-in G35 so you don’t need the aftermarket barrel and sight block?

As you can see in the picture I posted, the round never makes it into the chamber at all. To clear the malfunction all I have to do is lock the slide back, drop the mag (problem round drops out with the mag) reinsert mag and run the slide. Takes about 2 seconds. Sounds like your malfunction took quite a bit more effort to clear.

Odds are it's one of the aftermarket parts causing the problems since it's not working with factory ammo too. Use factory mags without extensions and take aftermarket parts off one at a time and replace with the OEM ones until it starts working. Then you'll know what's causing the issues.

Also that Glock is pretty old based off the extractor. Could be some part is worn out or broken. Have you detail stripped it and inspected parts?

I’m not a Glock fan, shoot those Tanfoglio models, but it seems a common issue with all pistols that are modified is the bullet profile and OAL. 

My TF Limited hated certain bullets and OALs, longer and more round nosed fed the best with extended base pads and Grams followers. The stock mag springs and followers would feed shorter and a larger variety of bullets. 

I found the bullet and OAL combo that works perfect with the grams followers (note stock Federal HP Hydroshock did not feed well with this mag, spring and follower combo).

Just my feeble attempt to help. 

Good luck. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. Switching to lighter recoil springs made the issue much much worse. I’d typically have 2-3 malfunctions as described in the op per magazine. Switching back to a 17lb spring alleviates the issue. I may try a 20lb spring to see if that gets rid of the problem all together.

Stock mags with stock mag springs and lighter recoil springs = choke fest

Stock mags (factory basepads) with 140mm springs (extra power springs that come with the taylor freelance mags) plus a 13lb recoil spring = choke fest

Stock mags (factory basepads) with 140mm springs (extra power springs that come with the taylor freelance mags) plus a 15lb recoil spring = better function but still 1-2 malfunctions as pictured per 100rds

Stock mags (factory basepads) with 140mm springs (extra power springs that come with the taylor freelance mags) plus a 17lb recoil spring = best function I can achieve but still 1-2 malfunctions as pictured per 200rds

140mm mags with supplied mag springs and 13lb recoil spring = choke fest

140mm mags with supplied mag springs and 15lb recoil spring = choke fest

140mm mags with supplied mag springs and 17lb recoil spring = slightly improved choke fest.

140mm mags with 170mm mag springs and 13lb recoil spring = choke fest

140mm mags with 170mm mag springs and 15lb recoil spring = slightly improved choke fest

140mm mags with 170mm mag springs and 17lb recoil spring = best function so far but still about 1 malfunction per 200 rounds.

The heavier I spring the gun (both mag springs and recoil springs) the better function.

Additionally the shorter I go on reloads the worst the function. Factory ammo is especially rough.

I realize that these aren’t typical spring weights but there has got to be something that is causing this.