Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FTF issues with g22

Bsbllrooster

On 1/17/2019 at 10:52 AM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Are you still running the weight on the front? May try removing it also. Are you running a comp or just an extension for the front sight? If it is a comp , yes you will need a lighter recoil spring. Try stock magazines also. Thanks, Eric

The weight was the problem with another buddy who was having the same problem with his G35. It was basically a pump action Glock because it would have this malfunction almost every shot. 

I think what's happening is that it's deforming the nose of the frame enough that it drags on the recoil spring and bushing as the gun cycles, dramatically slowing the slide down. 

Edited by Xanatos903

Hello: Take off the weight and change out the barrel to stock. Use factory ammo. Does it run now? If so, add the weight and see if it runs. If so, add the Lone Wolf barrel. Does it run now? If not it is the barrel which would need some work done to make it run. It would not be the first time for that. Make sure the extractor tunnel is clean and the plunger is in the correct way. Thanks, Eric

Instead of wasting all that ammo testing different spring combos, I bet it'd work if you remove all that aftermarket junk and bring it back to stock setup. If it works when 100% stock then start adding parts back one at a time to see which is the issue, as mentioned above.

• 2 weeks later...

I’d be interested to see how grip could cause this. I’ve been shooting limited major since high school and rock a pretty standard thumbs forward Vogel style grip. I spoke with a builder who builds these types of glocks with frame weights and sight blocks and he recommended the 170mm mag spring and 20lb ISMI spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d be interested to see how grip could cause this. I’ve been shooting limited major since high school and rock a pretty standard thumbs forward Vogel style grip. I spoke with a builder who builds these types of glocks with frame weights and sight blocks and he recommended the 170mm mag spring and 20lb ISMI spring.

Ok, it sounds like you aren't limp twisting, so you can probably rule grip out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Is the radius on the breech face too severe on the slide possibly causing the slide to miss the rim of the case? I’m curious what other breech faces look like...

The problem always occurs on the the second half of a mag. The extra power springs help but don’t alleviate the issue completely...

d7cbea5726ff244c6acc7e6cc2bce215.jpg79e0c46f95a06c0b8d2c5775121dc230.jpg

The marks by the firing pin block may be from the bump on the side of the trigger bar. My G17 and G35 both have indentations on the slide right there. I was comparing them the other day trying to figure out why the trigger felt different on them with all the same parts. There was a sharp edge on my connector. As for the two marks towards the muzzle, I dunno. Maybe from the locking block. Compare the locking block to the marks on the slideand see if they match up if there's wear or rounded surfaces. That maybe one of your issues.  

As for magazine issues, I dont thing it's a mag problem but ive never ran the tf base pads. I run the tti pads and 140mm springs on stock followers for 9mm and .40 and have never had an issue like what you're showing. Have you put the stock barrel back in to see if the issue repeats?

Edited by Roughneck_Randy

I got this g22 as a police trade in and the marks that you circled were there when I got it. I figured it was typical wear. This is my first venture into the Glock platform so I’m relatively unfamiliar.

When I put the stock barrel back in, the same malfunctions persist so that is why I thought I had isolated it to a magazine problem.

Increasing the spring tension in the mags has helped but not alleviated the issue completely. Thinking this slide may be jacked up. Curious what others thoughts are.

1 hour ago, Bsbllrooster said:

I got this g22 as a police trade in and the marks that you circled were there when I got it. I figured it was typical wear. This is my first venture into the Glock platform so I’m relatively unfamiliar.

When I put the stock barrel back in, the same malfunctions persist so that is why I thought I had isolated it to a magazine problem.

Increasing the spring tension in the mags has helped but not alleviated the issue completely. Thinking this slide may be jacked up. Curious what others thoughts are.

Yep, that area that is "jacked up" is where the slide rides on the locking block. Could also be catching in that area. Do you have pics of the frame/locking block? 

Edited by Lastcat

Are the pins that hold the trigger and locking block in bent or anything. Are they easy to push out. There should  be some resistance and you should have to wiggle the slide lock lever to ge the bigger of the two out. Did the mags come with the gun as a combo or are they factory new OEM glock mags.  Can you load a mag and hand cycle the all the rounds out. 

Pins aren’t bent and come out with moderate pressure

Mags came with the gun as a package but brand new Glock factory mags (with or without extensions) cause the same issue.

I’ve snapped some pictures of the frame and internals and they are attached below.

f50365de2bc3e078de58156f4407c1d7.jpg

d171834440250e5f3df4bcd8351e2325.jpg4753d8a4addb730de4156368cc4af68f.jpg

With the damage to the slide am I better off getting a brand new slide? Starting to think it may be better to just send this whole thing off to a Glock builder and see if they can diagnose it.

13 minutes ago, Bsbllrooster said:

With the damage to the slide am I better off getting a brand new slide? Starting to think it may be better to just send this whole thing off to a Glock builder and see if they can diagnose it.

If you plan to shoot a .40, then it would probably be cheaper just to pick up another used G22 for $325. This frame can also accept Glock 17 (9mm) and Glock 31 (357 Sig) Slides. That frame shows signs of wear, where the slide has been contacting. You could get it fixed by a builder. Depends how much you are willing to toss $$$ at this one. Good luck, keep us posted.

Are the pins that hold the trigger and locking block in bent or anything. Are they easy to push out. There should  be some resistance and you should have to wiggle the slide lock lever to ge the bigger of the two out. Did the mags come with the gun as a combo or are they factory new OEM glock mags.  Can you load a mag and hand cycle the all the rounds out. 

It that's a Gen 3, then there are stripped frames available for less than 100$ and lower build kits from glockstore.  You could also call glock customer service and talk to them. Ive heard of guys ruining their frame stippling it and glock sent them a new one for 100$ with all new serial numbers.  Also check out https://www.recoilgunworks.com/police-tradeins-c-132.html. Ive bought a g17, g22, and g35  police trade in from them and all have been in excellent condition.  They have gen 3 and 4 guns available. I buy the gen 4 because i dont like the gen 3 frames. Recoilgunworks also has g22 complete slide and lower parts kits.  Some guns may have PD marking on them. My 35 has a Kentucky state police emblem engraved on it. Hope this helps.  

• 2 weeks later...

Those marks on the inside of the slide are called slide peening and is normal.  Have you removed ALL of the aftermarket junk off it and seen if it still malfunctions?  If so, you could send it into Glock and they'll fix it and replace any worn parts for free.