Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI 170 mm capacity in 9mm

dvc4you

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 6:06 AM, Aric said:

Is it possible to get 30 in the new style?  If so, how?  

I have been trying for months.  Went through, grams, Taran tact., MBX, STI, standard followers, thin, different springs. All to find 29 seems to be the limit, push to 30 and followers start rolling, just seems like always bad things happen. Now with the 140 SV mags and 40 I have had great luck.  The SV tube with Taran tact. thin follower and the 11 coil taran spring I can get 23.  Functions smooth, and reliable.    With STI ( I have old gen 1 tubes ) you are pushing it at 21.  The Gen 2 tubes are more like SV so guessing you could push to 23 with thin follower.

Same results for me with SV tubes:  29 works great, 30 goes below the rib on the magazine body.  

Mbx rib runs runs all the way to the bottom.  What is preventing 30 in a mbx?

29 rounds are very tight in my MBX big stick...I would not call it reloadable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP, sorry this is off topic.  MBX guys.  If you are running the Gen2 followers you are going to have capacity problems.    I didn't buy my MBX mags from MBX so I evidently got mixed production.  The 155s are all gen 2.  The 170 came with the original G25 follower (gen 1).  I loaded the mags to set the springs.  I immediately got 29 in the 170 with no effort and a little room to spare.  I had to struggle to get 25 in the 155s.  On a lark, I took the G25 follower out of the 170 and put it into the 155.  26 instantly.  So I ordered a pair of G25s and replaced the gen 2 9 followers.  After two weeks I could force a 30th round into the 170, so 29 is easily reloadable.  The 155s are 26 with 13 coil and easily reloadable.  I originally cut one coil off the 13 coil in the 155s.  Later on I'll condition them and see if I pick up another round.

I use two STI gen 2 mags for classifiers with a mandatory reload, or when I have to drop a mag in water, mud or dust.

2 hours ago, Aric said:

How difficult would it be to extend to rib on the SV magazine body? Probably not feasible but thought I’d ask.  

A person here used to offer this mod, and he did a couple of my magazines with good results.  Only one side had to be extended.  No more salt shakers.  I am not mentioning his name, because I don't know if he still does it, but he is a regular here, and will chime in if willing.

2 hours ago, Aric said:

How difficult would it be to extend to rib on the SV magazine body? Probably not feasible but thought I’d ask.  

Pretty easy if you have a hydraulic press. Takes a little more skill if you don’t but you can do it with a square sized punch and hammer/anvil. You need to make an insert to go into mag body  so you don’t crush it in. 

OP, sorry this is off topic.  MBX guys.  If you are running the Gen2 followers you are going to have capacity problems.    I didn't buy my MBX mags from MBX so I evidently got mixed production.  The 155s are all gen 2.  The 170 came with the original G25 follower (gen 1).  I loaded the mags to set the springs.  I immediately got 29 in the 170 with no effort and a little room to spare.  I had to struggle to get 25 in the 155s.  On a lark, I took the G25 follower out of the 170 and put it into the 155.  26 instantly.  So I ordered a pair of G25s and replaced the gen 2 9 followers.  After two weeks I could force a 30th round into the 170, so 29 is easily reloadable.  The 155s are 26 with 13 coil and easily reloadable.  I originally cut one coil off the 13 coil in the 155s.  Later on I'll condition them and see if I pick up another round.

I use two STI gen 2 mags for classifiers with a mandatory reload, or when I have to drop a mag in water, mud or dust.

That’s it, I got 29 rounds reloadable on my MBX with the old style follower.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have 2 mbx big sticks, one has stock guts  and I can get 29 in it and still seat it in the gun for starts. The other one has the bolen ultra thin +1 follower and 13 coil spring. Exact same thing taran offers now. But I get 30 in that one, and again I can seat it with a ton of force for starts. If I ever reloaded to these mags I’d download by 1. But I always start with the bit stick and reload to one of my 140s that hold 24-25rds.