Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New member, new reloader

3Dflyer

Just entering the  reloading aspect of this hobby to test the waters before investing. 

Wondering what is considered a bargain but typical sale price for small pistol primers.

Just discovered hazmat fees crush primer buying saving for someone into smaller scale loading. 

I wonder if gun shows typically prove to be supply source. Happy to hear your advice. 

Trying out blue bullets, range brass, using dry tumbler and sonic cleaners, and made home brew lanolin case lube, using loaner dillon 550b. 

Overwhelmed with terminology, products, materials, and processes. 

Two local gun shows locally in the next two weeks have my interest, but want to be somewhat educated as I hunt around. I am not experienced with gun shows, but Cabelas and Bass Pro seem to be $$$$ and very limited inventory in my area, especially after an hour drive each way. 

If you're buying primers/powder small scale on-line then hazmat fees can get ya.  If you're buying large scale then the hazmat fees kinda spread out and all is good....like buy your primers in a 5000 count case minimum.  Even then it usually always pays to look around on-line for a sale and/or free shipping code and/or free hazmat code because they're fairly common.  You don't have to pay full price.  Large group buys are even better at spreading around the shipping/hazmat.

4 hours ago, 3Dflyer said:

.....Wondering what is considered a bargain but typical sale price for small pistol primers......

Finding a case of Winchester SPP on-line on-sale, at MidwayUSA for instance, for around $135 to $145 is fairly common.  Just have to look for shipping/hazmat codes from there.  Some of the on-line dealers have sales more often than others.

4 hours ago, 3Dflyer said:

.....Just entering the  reloading aspect of this hobby to test the waters before investing.....

If you're just trying reloading out a little at a time at first don't worry about ordering on-line.  If it's just a few hundred primers at a time you're looking at just go down to Academy or the like and buy a 100 count tray for around $4.  If you find you enjoy reloading and get fully into it......then large bulk buys will be your best route. 

Edited by BJB

My debit card doesn’t come out of my waller for less than 8 pounds of powder, or 10k worth of primers.

Hazmat costs too much to be worth it.

Tip: sign up for the email lists at midway, powder valley, grafs, etc. Pounce on deals when they have free shipping or free hazmat

$40 + tax, I'm assuming around $44 total, also assuming just a regular small pistol primer and not a Match or Lead-Free, etc.  That's 4.4 cents per primer and yeah, I'd consider that too expensive with the quantity I use each year.  That would be $220 for a case.  You can easily find a case for around $145, which is 2.9 cents per primer.  Keeping your eyes peeled you'll find them around $130-$135 a case, which is 2.6-2.7 cents per primer.  This info is for brands like Winchester, CCI, Remington.  Fiocchi packages theirs in cases of 12000 for around $300 or just under, which is 2.3-2.5 cents per primer.  Magtech SPP have been fine with me too but I haven't seen them much recently. Unis Ginex SPP are a little cheaper and should be fine for a gun that's not all lightened up.

If you're looking for a 1k box price I'd say $28 to $30 for Winchester, CCI, or Remington.  Federal might be a couple dollars more, if you can find them.  The 1k quantity wouldn't be worth it to order on-line d/t hazmat & shipping turning your $30 order into a $50 or $60 order.  You'd have to get a 1k box locally or at a gun show.  Or, buy a 1k box from someone you know who loads a lot.

If 1k is all you need to last yourself a long time then pay the $40 plus tax and don't worry about it.  But, if you intend to load a lot more than that at $40 per 1k your're losing a lot of money .   

In my area $40 per 1k, at a gun show the same for primers from the early 80's. Not knowing how they have been stored i would rather buy new. 10k plus hazmat saves me a bit, more if you look for the sales. Most of the gun show folks around my area bought mass amounts at the peak price, so they are not going to sell at a loss.

WNC gun shows:

You can buy Sport Pistol powder for $21-$23 per 1 lb or $80 per 4 lb., Titegroup even less.

Win or Fed SPP/LPP for $27-$29 per 1K.

Headstamp sorted, shiny clean, deprimed 9mm brass for 2.3 cents ea, or 2.0 cents for 5k or more. I ain't cleaning it/wasting my time for 2.0 each.

There are two vendors that my pals and I have purchased from several times, I just send an email a couple weeks out asking them to 'bring my order'. They haven't failed yet!