Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Colt style 9mm magazine differences

I have been having problems inserting a magazine on a closed bolt on my Colt style 9mm PCC...  I noticed that the follower protrudes more on the Colt magazine with a plastic follower than the Metalform magazines with a steel follower... ... just got 3 Metalform magazines and have not had a chance to test the new magazines...  wonder if anyone has used the Metalform magazines and noticed any difference  loading a full magazine on a closed bolt ?  see picture below … anyone know if steel followers are available and where to order ?    TIA

:1724959015_colt9mmmagazines(2).jpg.dfdaf4484ac2a9f49c571455631fc3a3.jpg

I looked for replacement metalform parts to no avail when I shot the platform. They're also not exactly the same shape as the ASC/Colt ones as I recall. I used the cheaper ones for classifiers and indoor matches so I didn't care if I dropped them on concrete. 

IIRC the metalforms aren't any easier to load. The best trick is to run an extension and/or download the mags and have the top round on the right (opposite ejector). 

I don’t think the follower makes a difference when inserting loaded mags. Downloaded mags seem the way to go as well as keeping loaded rounds clear of the mag catch slot on the mag. 

I ordered a couple of the Taylor Freelance follower with spring to try out because sometimes the metal follower hangs up on the TF extension. 

The metalform mags still suck to seat in a match.

I got tired of dealing with it and went to Glock mags. 46 rounds in a 47 round mag click into the gun like you’re loading a Glock handgun with 17 rounds. Absolutely no sweat.

A 42 round metalform colt mag downloaded 6 rounds? That still required a palm heel strike to lock in.

22 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

The metalform mags still suck to seat in a match.

I got tired of dealing with it and went to Glock mags. 46 rounds in a 47 round mag click into the gun like you’re loading a Glock handgun with 17 rounds. Absolutely no sweat.

A 42 round metalform colt mag downloaded 6 rounds? That still required a palm heel strike to lock in.

I did the same. Made the jump when I went to the Guard platform. Much easier to compress the single-feed than the double-feed Colts. MPX/Lancer is even easier ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2018 at 10:01 AM, HI5-O said:

I ordered a couple of the Taylor Freelance follower with spring to try out because sometimes the metal follower hangs up on the TF extension. 

Had a chance to try these out yet?  I picked up a couple of followers and springs from TF myself to replace the guts in some older mags, and I get nothing but round nosedive jams with that setup.  Back to Metalform followers and Wolff +5% springs... same mag body runs with no issues.

I really wanted to like the TF guts enough to convince me to pick up a 66rd mag from him as well...

Edited by mahamoti

There are a number of past threads on  Colt mag issues including inserting on a closed bolt, which I have experienced myself. To remedy this, I opened the  catch slot (up)with a file by about 0.010 - 0.015” I believe. This allows the magazine to sit lower and provide that extra bit of room to lock in without excessive force. Prior to the mods, some magazines worked and others didn’t and forced to use my leg to  seat the magazine while on the move. I have MF, ASC and another brand(s) as well all having TF +10 extensions. Hope this helps and also I download one round to ensure of proper operation.

8 hours ago, Shorty4087 said:

There are a number of past threads on  Colt mag issues including inserting on a closed bolt, which I have experienced myself. To remedy this, I opened the  catch slot (up)with a file by about 0.010 - 0.015” I believe. This allows the magazine to sit lower and provide that extra bit of room to lock in without excessive force. Prior to the mods, some magazines worked and others didn’t and forced to use my leg to  seat the magazine while on the move. I have MF, ASC and another brand(s) as well all having TF +10 extensions. Hope this helps and also I download one round to ensure of proper operation.

I have thought of doing this too, but wasn't sure which side to file. I'm thinking the top side of the slot (the side closest to where the bullets go in ). Correct??

Did it hace any effect on feeding and/or mag drop?

9 hours ago, egd5 said:

I have thought of doing this too, but wasn't sure which side to file. I'm thinking the top side of the slot (the side closest to where the bullets go in ). Correct??

Did it hace any effect on feeding and/or mag drop?

Yes, towards the top or load end. I used a caliper to measure as i slowly opened it up with a file. Be sure to clean up any burrs left on the inside as well. Start with just one of the mags that is giving you problems and get that one to work properly before moving on to the others. This mod did not affect mag drop or feeding for me. Remember, that we’re only talking 0.010 to 0.015” of material removal so take it slow and steady...

One of the reasons I switched from running an X95 to an MPX.  When a stage had a required reload or an unloaded start, I was taking the extra couple of seconds to lock the bolt back before inserting the mag rather than risking a dropped mag.  Underloading helped, but on an unloaded start with a busy stage with lots of targets that's... not a good idea.

On 1/9/2019 at 3:23 PM, mahamoti said:

Had a chance to try these out yet?  I picked up a couple of followers and springs from TF myself to replace the guts in some older mags, and I get nothing but round nosedive jams with that setup.  Back to Metalform followers and Wolff +5% springs... same mag body runs with no issues.

I really wanted to like the TF guts enough to convince me to pick up a 66rd mag from him as well...

I have not had the issue you experienced. Noticed the spring has one end with the coils wound flat and the other end was angled upwards. I installed the angled end up so it puts upward pressure on the front of the follower. The TF follower doesn’t hang up on the 10 rd extension like the metalfollower. BTW, I am using the Brownell’s branded mag with the marlube coating. 

Edited by HI5-O
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2019 at 3:03 AM, Shorty4087 said:

Yes, towards the top or load end. I used a caliper to measure as i slowly opened it up with a file. Be sure to clean up any burrs left on the inside as well. Start with just one of the mags that is giving you problems and get that one to work properly before moving on to the others. This mod did not affect mag drop or feeding for me. Remember, that we’re only talking 0.010 to 0.015” of material removal so take it slow and steady...

Has anybody else tried this?  Thinking of filing the mag catch itself instead.  Which would be a better approach?