Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chuck Bradley's New *heater*

BEDELLCUSTOM

Ok before anybody gets upset that I got my gun before them, even though it will be used as a sales tool, I have to tell you Dan has had my parts for about 4 months. The only reason I got it done now is becuase I ran out of a few key parts due to tardy delivery by some manufacturers. So we had a couple days Dan couldnt build customers guns. But good news is he has started on the next batch of customers guns.

Chuck, you have to let us know what you think of it after shooting it for awhile. We all want to know since you have a lot of limted experience ( that did not sound right but you know what I mean).

OK Chuck, whatever you have to tell yourself to sleep at night! :)

Craig

It works!

Really if I had my way I wouldnt do one for myself until every customer had theirs. One reason I kept putting it off as long as I did. I finally realized we will never be completely caught up again. SO I got in line with everybody else to be fair. Now Dan snuck one in for himself when he sold both his open guns because he had customers who just had to have them. But he did it over the weekend so we can cut him some slack.

chuck, you sent me the parts on march 3rd 2005 to build that gun for you but i put some customer guns in front of you because i did not want to spoil you. so you actually waited longer than you thought you did :lol::lol::lol: now as far as me sneaking in the time to build one for myself, i actually have been trying to build myself a limited gun for the last 2 years and when we ran out of barrels for customer guns i went into overdrive and kicked out my own limited gun in 2 days while i waited for the barrels to show up.i locked myself in the shop for those 2 days straight surviving on nothing but chicken wings,beer and old potato chips.my wife would occassionally comes out to the shop to see if i was still breathing. oh yeah, one more thing, i think my new limited gun is cooler lookin' than yours. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Went out friday night and to test the new gun, sight it in(which it didnt need), and test the new STI mags I put together. I used Grams spring & followers and some flat aluminum base pads with the spring plate. I also have a couple SV mags set up with Dawson pads and a 21 round STI(actual Preban mag) which is 21 rounds with a special grams base pad. The gun ran great as well as the mags. Shot it in 2 matches this last weekend and it ran perfect. Well except for the round that my son loaded that was almost a squib. I racked the slide, the round went into battery I raised the gun and hoped for the best. It was in the middle of a stage. Had to finish.

I set it up with Swensons and a short trigger. I like it. AS far as recoil reduction or less muzzle flip over the spitfire I didnt really notice it. Both are really nice in that area. Will have to shoot both side by side some more before i can tell for sure.

One observation I made that may be significant in IPSC shooting. It has been known that STI mags hold 17, add a grams follower kit and it will hold 18, add a Dawson base pad and it will hold 19. So my mags with a grams follower should have only held 18. It held 19 with room to reload. It got me thinking. I have recently started using a LEE full size factory crimp die. This die resizes the round all the way down and straightens the bullet at the same time. My guess is this die is making the rounds smaller than normal resized brass thus alowing more rounds in the mag. Maybe I am all wet here but it makes sense. Will have to see if any more info comes out in this. Anybody have any thoughts on it?

Each of the 18 rounds would have to be shrunk down to a max of .400 outside diameter to make enough room to fit an additional round (about .02" per round). With nominal case wall thicknesses of .01", this means your bullet is now .380" in diameter, or the case walls are completely sunk into the bullet. I don't think the Lee FCD is responsible for your additional capactiy ;)

Each of the 18 rounds would have to be shrunk down to a max of .400 outside diameter to make enough room to fit an additional round (about .02" per round). With nominal case wall thicknesses of .01", this means your bullet is now .380" in diameter, or the case walls are completely sunk into the bullet. I don't think the Lee FCD is responsible for your additional capactiy ;)

Even in a double-stack config? Or is there an extra zero in that .02"?

Even in a double-stack config? Or is there an extra zero in that .02"?

Double stack config, I don't know for sure. I don't have the wherewithal to calculate that. Yeah, I just stacked 'em end to end. Nonetheless, you'd need at least half a bullet diameter or so to get another round plus extra space, right, even in a double stack config???

No, not an extra zero :) .40 has a nominal outside dimension around .423 or so. Divide by 18 to get the space reduction it would per round to fit another one in linearly. I don't know the double stack factor, there. I'd still find it pretty hard to attribute Chuck's extra round solely to a thousandth or two per round - that's at most, like .036" extra space - is that enough to get an extra round plus "reload room"??? Don't know.....

.... One observation I made that may be significant in IPSC shooting. It has been known that STI mags hold 17, add a grams follower kit and it will hold 18, add a Dawson base pad and it will hold 19. So my mags with a grams follower should have only held 18. It held 19 with room to reload.

.... are you sure its the 126 mm mags? A STI 126 mm mag holds only 15 rds stock... would love to get it to 18rds with some play left.... All i've been able to get is 17 rds max. On a STI mag, a +1 basepad and a arredondo follower. On the grams spring follower kit which i put into a SVi mag.. that will only go to 17 rds max... 9 coils, even with a +1 pad....

I did get 1 mag to go to 18 rds, but no play left... use it as my first mag.

Maybe these are on a 140 mm mag?

I've been trying to get to at least 18, reloadable.... right now, my second and third mags are loaded to 16rds just to ensure that i can reload smoothly w/o having to beat up the gun to get the mag to seat :wacko:

Any more tricks left to increase the 126mm mag capacities?

REgards & DVC

Chuck : Are you talikng about a USPSA legal mag, or a IPSC legal mag ?

I made so many trials to get that damned 19 th round in the mags that I'm almost crazy ! STI 120 mm tube, dawson Intl box rule pad , SV modified red follower and original STI spring 1 coil cut to fit the base and it's a reloadable 17. Some gets 18.

So far, the only working 19s box rule compliant I know are those made by the crazy brazilian Gunsmith (BTW, I WANT one of those mags pleazzzzzzzzzzze)

The only way to get one more round would be to uses thinner material for the mag and have the taper of the mag a little bit higher.

I think this is exactly the case with the brazilian mags.

I am talking 140mm USPSA legal mag. STI's.

No SPS, I got one of those to try and it was way too long. It was like 144mm with their pad, take their pad off and the tube itself is 140mm. take their pad off and it doesnt get the advertised 22 rounds. Some of the guys around here took one of my aluminum pads and milled it down to 1mm thick and put it on the SPS, it is now legal length but only holds 21 rounds.

When you consider what I used to shoot, once fired brass that is bulged and cant be resized all the way down. Even roll sizing leaves a little bulge. Some with bullets that are slightly crooked and bulging from the side a little. Now we take all that out with this full length crimp die. Cases are all straight all the way to the base. It has to as some room. For me it was an extra round than what I was accustomed to getting in an sti mag.

SV mags get one more round, they are slightly bigger and have a tendency to not drop free as well as the sti mags but the sti mags give you one less round. So its a trade off. I just tried to get an extra round in my SV mag with Dawson pad but it didnt take another round. Still 20. So maybe dave is right and there is nothing to my observation but that STI has done something different to make their mags hold another round. Maybe my whining to STI paid off?

I still like the full size factory crimp die. I dont chamber check anymore so the 22.00 delivered price tag was well worth it. I dont sell them, you can get them directly from LEE's web page.